Manned Exploration of Eve's Ocean Floor Challenge

A self explanatory challenge, inspired by this discovery that Kerbals can "walk" underwater if constrained by a ceiling.

Objective is to get to the bottom of Eve's ocean and either take a sample or plant a flag (or photographically evidence how close you came). Return to Kerbin is (very) optional, except for bragging rights.

Standard rules apply (stock/DLC parts only); no mods which affect physics. MechJeb etc are allowed.

More details to follow, once I've further investigated buoyancy effects on Eve...

Edited by dnbattley

With more field tests I have somewhat optimised a submersible craft design to allow easy flag-planting (WARNING SPOILERS IF ANYONE IS TRYING TO WORK OUT THEIR OWN SOLUTION TO THIS CHALLENGE):

Spoiler

4T single use "basic" submersible

EHYubmS.png

5.2T reusable "de-luxe" submersible:

nM1jrNN.png

That looks neat, but perhaps a bit over-complicated?

Spoiler

WbOi3u5.png

Admittedly, I haven't actually tested this design on Eve. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work — or at least no reason that couldn't be fixed with the addition of more ballast, if necessary.

14 minutes ago, vyznev said:

But I see no reason why it shouldn't work

I certainly wouldn't claim my design cannot be improved upon, but the extreme gravity and buoyancy on Eve make many of these designs quite... sensitive.

Hmm... after installing Hyperedit so I could do some proper testing, looks like it's indeed working fine.

Spoiler

fIMQaaQ.png

0rVXz1E.png

In principle, it's even reusable if you grab it with a Klaw and refill the ore tanks.

Now I just need a rocket to take it to Eve without using Hyperedit...

BTW, one thing I noticed during testing was that leaving a command chair can launch a kerbal halfway through a structural plate or some other thin object.

Spoiler

Sc1bl70.png

(That's why the "diving bell" I posted above has the seat upside down, so that the kerbal gets launched safely towards the ground when leaving the seat.)

If developed further, this technology might some day allow kerbals to be equipped with personal weighted diving collars.

Alas, despite some promising early results, I have not yet managed to develop one that would stay on reliably. In particular, while it's not too hard to force a kerbal's helmet through the hole in a small decoupler and suspend him from it, trying to switch vessels and activate the decoupler invariably knocks it loose. :( 

Spoiler

XJKAbqc.png

lciYybd.png

2JcLI6n.png

Also, Jeb's definitely not looking very comfortable. :P

Edited by vyznev

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.