KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Hinges

St4rdust

Depends on fuel crossfeed. :P If they allow it I'll create a stunning tilt-wing, if they don't I'll create a tilt-wing with yellow tubes plastered on it.

Attitude aside, these things look delicious and I'm really looking forward to playing around with them, would have preferred getting some specs on how strong they are but that's probably one of the things we'll have to find out on our own. My body is ready for even moar Loading!

I'm still hoping that these questions will be answered - but I can't find the place I asked them.  Please @SQUAD - I'm not looking for detailed explanation, just a yay or nay:

1. If you attach the a command pod to the end of a hinge, will the IVA move as well with the command pod?

2. I'm sure that there was a second question...

If these have been answered, sorry I missed them.  Could someone please link me to the topic so I can trawl?

Peace.

7 minutes ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

Imagine making a space catapult with those things... someone will

Achieve escape orbital velocity on the Mun with these things will allow for very inexpensive refeuler tankers.  If it is situated in just the right place you'll be able to fire back to Kerbin for an aerobrake to a reasonable orbit, with only a small amount of delta-vee required to circularise.  Why has noone done this before?  Oh wait... waiting for hinges :)

Next DLC will be for Extraplanetary Launchpads please :)...

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit

11 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

1. If you attach the a command pod to the end of a hinge, will the IVA move as well with the command pod?

I don't see any particular reason why it wouldn't. That seems like very basic functionality for squad to leave out.

I could see it being the case in a mod that has to hack functionality together based on what Squad has provided, but an official DLC should have full and proper integration with all the features of the base game.

Just now, theJesuit said:

Achieve escape orbital velocity on the Mun with these things will allow for very inexpensive refeuler tankers.  If it is situated in just the right place you'll be able to fire back to Kerbin for an aerobrake to a reasonable orbit, with only a small amount of delta-vee required to circularise.  When has noone done this before?  Oh wait... waiting for hinges :)

Next DLC will be for Extraplanetary Launchpads please :)...

Peace.

I mean i dont think they would be that powerful :P. but i reackon they could get you off the ground if you messed with them high enough. Rotors would probably be better at the job than hinges to be honest. I was thinking of a more Ferris wheel like structure that catapults the object away. I think if hinges are coming then rotors should follow. Maybe we will see pistons as well.

Regardless, i would love to make some Take on Mars style landers with these.

24 minutes ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

I mean i dont think they would be that powerful :P. but i reackon they could get you off the ground if you messed with them high enough. Rotors would probably be better at the job than hinges to be honest. I was thinking of a more Ferris wheel like structure that catapults the object away. I think if hinges are coming then rotors should follow. Maybe we will see pistons as well.

Regardless, i would love to make some Take on Mars style landers with these.

Rotors wouldn't work on the Mün :)

Trebuchets might. As an actual mass driver...

17 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Rotors wouldn't work on the Mün :)

Why not? They wouldn't provide lift with wings, but you could still spin them up and decouple things from the ends.

Probably be a bit hard to reach the ~900m/s needed to re-enter at Kerbin, but that's an engineering problem, not a logistical one.

26 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Why not? They wouldn't provide lift with wings, but you could still spin them up and decouple things from the ends.

Probably be a bit hard to reach the ~900m/s needed to re-enter at Kerbin, but that's an engineering problem, not a logistical one.

I for one cannot wait to see the “return to Kerbin” ferris wheel.

3 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I'm still hoping that these questions will be answered - but I can't find the place I asked them.  Please @SQUAD - I'm not looking for detailed explanation, just a yay or nay:

2. I'm sure that there was a second question...

If these have been answered, sorry I missed them.  Could someone please link me to the topic so I can trawl?

Peace.

Yes.  The IVA always moves with the pod.  Moving it with a robotic hinge isn't any different in this regard than moving it some other way.

Edited by St4rdust
Wrong answer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.