KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Hinges

St4rdust

6 minutes ago, Chryssalid 8492 said:

Also how the slag do you tag someone? 

@Chryssalid 8492:

Type the "@", then start typing the name.  It will show a list of matching names.  You must click on the name from that list, because typing it won't work:
@Chryssalid 8492

2 hours ago, Frank_G said:

Hinge watching... very nice. I like the heavy design. :)

It will be a turning point in Kerbal History. A pivotal moment, some will say, allowing revolutionary designs. Although that probably hinges on the flexibility of the designers who want to give it a spin.

After the news about this dropped I wondered if this set of parts was expansion-worthy, but... I have to agree now, that it is.

Kerbals struggled with the wheel for many years, building prototypes and refining the amount of "roundness" required for consistent operation.  Similarly, the "hinge" wasn't an easy problem to solve. One of the presently unemployed engineers had been trying to get the hinge idea to work with multiple pins side by side, because multiple wheels side by side scaled up so well to support heavy loads.  The simplified design with ONE pin scaled up as big as needed, is proving to be much more reliable. This is a giant leap for Kerbal Kind. 

hhmmmmmm I assume they can turn +/- 90 degrees from the center position? And can we decide what position the start/stop/spawn in?

a few ideas on what to make so far:

crew-dragon style docking port caps (we still need a reentry rated nose cone!)

Deployable wings for those refueling tankers and return boosters

real landing gear for giant full size rockets

Deployable rover wheels (from upside-down cargo bays especially)

Tank treads if they are durable enough.

Paddleboats/riverboats...

Need more info... we already knew we'd get hinges.

Torque values? EC consumption? Mass? surface attachable or just nodes? does fuel crossfeed/do fuel hoses work? Does autostrutting interfere with this? Control mechanism? can we set a looping animation, with the speed controlled by throttle or one of the normal control keys (such that we could make a walking vehicle walk by throttling up or pressing the forward key for rovers)?

As for what I'll make? folding wing aircraft that can fit in a mk3 cargobay, I imagine, or at least in a small fairing.

Robotic arms to lift things up/ match docking ports up on the ground

Tilt-Engine VTOLs.

14 hours ago, St4rdust said:

With the new Square Hinges, you'll be able to create jointed contraptions. What sort of machines will you build with these? #KSP #BreakingGroundExpansion

squareHinges.png

Is there crossfeed, or will we need to use fuel pipes?

10 hours ago, Kerbart said:

It will be a turning point in Kerbal History. A pivotal moment, some will say, allowing revolutionary designs. Although that probably hinges on the flexibility of the designers who want to give it a spin.

Countless possibilties of joined operations, indeed. X.x

An absolute dream would be an inverse cinematic motion control option, where you click on a point in space or an object and the lead part tries to reach it, automatically controlling all the joints in the chain. But hey.... Pushing buttons is also cool :)

I am too happy to give money by buying this dlc! is it possible to donate to KSP? to support the development of this game that I love! seen as the game evolues i prefer to suspend my purchase of others games(which are scam). and support KSP 100%

kerbal kiss ! lol :kiss:

vote for the dlc released yesterday click the I like lol

Edited by jojo5144

3 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Can we get the in-depth preview already? We are less then 9 days out from release, it would help answer a lot of questions, and perhaps you’ll get some useful feedback for last minute tweaks. ;)

+1 to this. Given robotics is being advertised as a main feature of this paid DLC, I have yet to see anything that suggests this will be anything more than the bare minimum of implementation. I'd really love to be proven wrong though, which is why we need more info.

44 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

+1 to this. Given robotics is being advertised as a main feature of this paid DLC, I have yet to see anything that suggests this will be anything more than the bare minimum of implementation. I'd really love to be proven wrong though, which is why we need more info.

18 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Yes.  The IVA always moves with the pod.  Moving it with a robotic hinge isn't any different in this regard than moving it some other way.

This is what I needed to know.  IVA moving when the pod is being manipulated.

But implementation and control would be nice to know too.

Peace.

39 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Hinges are going to unfold Kerbal madness. (Warning, deeply hypnotic gif ahead)

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

:D Kerbal Ospreys are go!

I want this so hard. Looks like all of this is achievable. (And I never knew the navy ospreys fold for storage in this way, but of course they do). 

I don’t think it’ll be long before we see working swashplate and collective functionality for rotors

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.