KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Hinges

St4rdust

8 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Is there crossfeed, or will we need to use fuel pipes?

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yes. ;)

If there isn't Bill and Bob will quickly fix it. Remember, we have the almightiest tool - Module Manager and some of the best modders/coders on Kerbin!

29 minutes ago, fourfa said:

I want this so hard. Looks like all of this is achievable. (And I never knew the navy ospreys fold for storage in this way, but of course they do). 

I don’t think it’ll be long before we see working swashplate and collective functionality for rotors

I am quite a calm person but i must admit that i am hyped like never before. Hinges. I`ll take a walk outside in the wood and scream. Hinges. Gawddarn hinges. Finally. :D

I realize this will now make my universal retrieval craft (Those that grab onto ANYTHING from asteroids to large size dead ships I want to retrieve that can weight hundreds of tons) so much more sensible now for me, no longer will I have to have overlapping parachutes for super heavy return payloads as I'll be able to unfurl very long radially attached booms with parachutes spaced out properly! Going to be quite a sight to see really when that opens like a giant umbrella skeleton with several dozen large parachutes!

Edited by Dirt The Space Dirt Fox

7 minutes ago, Dirt The Space Dirt Fox said:

I realize this will now make my universal retrieval craft (Those that grab onto ANYTHING from asteroids to large size dead ships I want to retrieve that can weight hundreds of tons) so much more sensible now for me, no longer will I have to have overlapping parachutes for super heavy return payloads as I'll be able to unfurl very long radially attached booms with parachutes spaced out properly! Going to be quite a sight to see really when that opens like a giant umbrella skeleton with several dozen large parachutes!

If you do that, post a screenshot of it in the craft exchange section. I personally would love to see that.

6 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Can we get the in-depth preview already? We are less then 9 days out from release, it would help answer a lot of questions, and perhaps you’ll get some useful feedback for last minute tweaks. ;)

Thats not part of the marketing hype agenda!

An AMA with @Maxsimal would be fantastic.

Edited by klesh

Looks really cool!

I wonder if round versions of this hinge will be developed tho... I mean, round hinges match better on tiltwings and tilt-engines / rotors such as the V-22 Osprey.

And could a Cubic Octagonal Strut-sized version of this hinge developed? That'll be cool for variable swept wing jets so one can build a stock B-1 Lancer or F-14 Tomcat. Or even tiny crawlers.

Round hinges? you mean rotors? those have already been showed. Or you mean with a circular cross section, so you could have a 1.25 cylinder, a "round hinge" between it and another 1.24m cylinder?

As for a cubic octagonal strut sized version? look at the dimensions, one is.

11 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Round hinges? you mean rotors? those have already been showed. Or you mean with a circular cross section, so you could have a 1.25 cylinder, a "round hinge" between it and another 1.24m cylinder?

As for a cubic octagonal strut sized version? look at the dimensions, one is.

Yes, both. And thanks for informing me.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, theJesuit said:

Achieve escape orbital velocity on the Mun with these things will allow for very inexpensive refeuler tankers.  If it is situated in just the right place you'll be able to fire back to Kerbin for an aerobrake to a reasonable orbit, with only a small amount of delta-vee required to circularise.  Why has noone done this before?  Oh wait... waiting for hinges :)

9785389143388_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

(The cover for the Russian edition of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.)

On 5/20/2019 at 4:43 PM, Nightside said:

@St4rdust, can the hinges rotate freely (hang loose), or do they only move when under power?

Glad to hear (from the other replies) that hinges can hang loose.  One of the things I always wanted to build was a tractor/trailer style of rover design, with a small high-torque engine segment and an attached mission module (be it cargo, passengers, communication equipment, mining drills, or what have you.)  You run into problems with a rigid-body design on uneven surfaces full of creators (like most non-atmospheric bodies) and having multiple segments that articulate lets it navigate those a bit more easily.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.