Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

20 minutes ago, Silavite said:

This may have been posted already, but these are the amounts awarded to each HLS bid:

SpaceX: $2.25B

Dynetics: $5.27B

National Team: $10.18B

Those figures are quite a bit larger than the awards as reported, each by approx a factor of 20. I shan't pretend to be able to follow the info on beta.SAM.gov, but the reported amounts are:

SpaceX: $135m

Dynetics: $253m

National Team: $579m

https://spacenews.com/nasa-selects-three-companies-for-human-landing-system-awards/

24 minutes ago, Silavite said:

This may have been posted already, but these are the amounts awarded to each HLS bid:

SpaceX: $2.25B

Dynetics: $5.27B

National Team: $10.18B

The actual amounts awarded are the middle numbers (136M for SpaceX). The larger numbers are only if they win, and supply the service.

Edited by tater

1 minute ago, RCgothic said:

Those figures are quite a bit larger than the awards as reported, each by approx a factor of 20. I shan't pretend to be able to follow the info on beta.SAM.gov, but the reported amounts are:

SpaceX: $135m

Dynetics: $253m

National Team: $579m

https://spacenews.com/nasa-selects-three-companies-for-human-landing-system-awards/

You are correct. If you follow his links, you'll see the numbers you posted as the middle values. The "billions" numbers are for the winner actually flying humans.

Just now, Silavite said:

D'oh! Looks like I totally misread that. Apologies to all.

No, you didn't! It's a good find. It's not what they are certainly all getting paid, it's what it is worth to them if they win.

11 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Cool. I wonder how they'd get something like that the surface - presumably assembly in-situ?

I guess we're going to have to wait and see what the cargo delivery systems turn out like!

5 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I guess we're going to have to wait and see what the cargo delivery systems turn out like!

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I think both the Blue Origin and SpaceX landers are cargo-configurable.

Hmm, yeah. Starship could get an RV-sized vehicle to the lunar surface in one shot (assuming the spacecraft is configurable enough for it to fit). Blue Origin's lander would have to take multiple trips and the rover would have to be assembled in situ.

Tiny. But then Gateway isn't intended to be continuously inhabited, it's just a place to change from Orion to the Lander.

Still not clear what experiments they think people will want to do there but not at ISS.

33 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Still not clear what experiments they think people will want to do there but not at ISS.

Long term radiation stuff, and habitation outside Earth's magnetosphere comes to mind.

The radiation environment could be easily simulated on Earth, and the epidemiological studies on radiation exposure have been done.  It is extended stay in high radiation plus zero G that is unique.  Testing radiation protection clothing?

That's 15.2 B$ over 7 years, not per year. Sounds like Artemis should concentrate more on being a nationalistic program, and dump partners unwilling to actually participate.

The countries in esa have a combined economy about like the US, so they should have a 20 B$/yr space program, not 1/10 of the US program.

There's no need yet for a space program, and I find it difficult to argue that it's a better use of money than a COVID-19 recovery fund. That's a subjective position obviously. I want to see all of us expand out into space, but not at the expense of groundside communities.

33 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

There's no need yet for a space program, and I find it difficult to argue that it's a better use of money than a COVID-19 recovery fund. That's a subjective position obviously. I want to see all of us expand out into space, but not at the expense of groundside communities.

Except that a space program allows us to do critical virology and human immune system studies that tell us things we couldn't find out from the ground...not to mention all the earth-sensing equipment up there that lets us know how the biosphere is functioning as a whole - we'd be blind without those. Space travel has never been independent from our well-being on Earth or backwards from it. Everything we've done in human spaceflight has taught us how to live better wherever we are in the universe.

17 hours ago, cubinator said:

Except that a space program allows us to do critical virology and human immune system studies that tell us things we couldn't find out from the ground...not to mention all the earth-sensing equipment up there that lets us know how the biosphere is functioning as a whole - we'd be blind without those. Space travel has never been independent from our well-being on Earth or backwards from it. Everything we've done in human spaceflight has taught us how to live better wherever we are in the universe.

But the Artemis program wouldn't provide any of that. Except possibly to serve as a petri dish if a crew becomes infected after departure.