Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading about the docking ports, particularily of the NASA standard (i.e. the androgynous one).

I may get it wrong, but afair, unlike the old male-female designs of Soyuz, etc, the NASA docking port currently doesn't provide fluid transfer, only electric contacts.

Ok, ISS can be provided with liquid supplies by Progresses.

But what about LOP-G? Old ports are obviously not an option, while the modern ones can't feed it?
How are they going to refuel it with RCS fuel and water?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*blink*

So Gateway, because SLS/Orion is incapable of real lunar mission, but Gateway because 24/7 comms! And polar! And "sustainable!" And ISRU experiments, because polar water! Except maybe now a landing plane change because?

Epic fail if true,

49 minutes ago, tater said:

So Gateway, because SLS/Orion is incapable of real lunar mission, but Gateway because 24/7 comms! And polar! And "sustainable!" And ISRU experiments, because polar water! Except maybe now a landing plane change because?

Epic fail if true,

Watching Tim's video yesterday, I realised something: Artemis lunar operations are essentially designed so that the HLS vehicles make up for SLS/Orion's performance deficiencies. Orion can't reach low lunar orbit, so they put Gateway in a high elliptical orbit and left the landers to get the rest of the way down to the surface. 

Basically, NASA are insisting on using an underpowered rocket and spacecraft for their chosen mission profile, and then forcing commercial providers to make up for it. I'd say having a well-balanced and interconnected system is a part of being sustainable, and this certainly isn't that. 

8 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Watching Tim's video yesterday, I realised something: Artemis lunar operations are essentially designed so that the HLS vehicles make up for SLS/Orion's performance deficiencies. Orion can't reach low lunar orbit, so they put Gateway in a high elliptical orbit and left the landers to get the rest of the way down to the surface. 

Basically, NASA are insisting on using an underpowered rocket and spacecraft for their chosen mission profile, and then forcing commercial providers to make up for it. I'd say having a well-balanced and interconnected system is a part of being sustainable, and this certainly isn't that. 

This has been true since forever.

The initial complaint about SLS/Orion, long before SpaceX was a significant force, and before Vulcan and NG were on the table (much less SS), was that it was "a rocket to nowhere."

Not cost, not schedule slip, assuming it had met every milestone and cost estimate and flew in 2016—still a rocket to nowhere.

No mission it could do. ARM was made up for it. Fly a probe to an asteroid, and secure a decent sized sample! Great idea. Bring sample to a distant lunar orbit—wait, what? Why? Just bring it HOME to Earth! Send astronauts to distant lunar orbit to pick it up, silly! But why? Because it costs more! (?)

if you're going to build a giant rocket without a specific mission, it better be a jack of all trades. For all the problems with Shuttle, for LEO it was just that.

The whole reuse thing (sorry repeating a post from the other thread) makes little sense to me, honestly, at least with these tiny landers and no surface base.

A base is critical, else these landers are a mess and need disposal anyway. They will be covered with dust the first day (inside).

Better:

1. Land a hab unit that stays on the surface.

2. Use something like Dynetics to land a pressurized rover.

3. Land crew. Crew moves to hab with minimal surface interaction in s suit NOT for general EVA. That suit has a disposable cover, and it stored in the hab for egress to the lander. Hab contains EVA suits that stay in a dedicated airlock, keeping the hab as clean as possible (shower?).

Alternately, you need something akin to what is so trivial in KSP in prop depots in game.

You have a facility, Gateway in this case. It includes a prop depot for the landers and transfer stages. The crew and reupply vehicles then have enough excess capacity that they fill up the prop depot with that extra mass they carry. This pretty much requires something perhaps more like ISS, where the station has some continuous use, so it's getting resupplied often, anyway. The props are then increased incidentally to that normal delivery schedule. Imagine if ISS had been storing props as small tanks, every launch of Dragon would then either have some important stuff in the trunk, or if no trunk cargo needed—a prop tank is delivered. Or a few sizes such that the payload to ISS is always maximized with any excess being props.

That's never going to happen with Gateway, though, since at best Orion can bring props for one segment of a lander system. Maybe it can build a prop depot for the ascent stage?