Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

On 12/17/2020 at 1:30 AM, tater said:

"Canada to become second nation ever to send people to the Moon"

This headline implies Canada has something to do with the sending to me.

They always lend a hand, that's why.

17 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

They aren't going to replace the failed PDU on Orion because it's too hard to access and the risk of collateral damage exceeds the risk of flying without one of the capsule's redundancies.

As long as the clock doesn't go astray and think it hasn't launched...

21 hours ago, RCgothic said:

They aren't going to replace the failed PDU on Orion because it's too hard to access and the risk of collateral damage exceeds the risk of flying without one of the capsule's redundancies.

(Silently recalls that  patched 2 mm hole in  Soyuz...)

A relevant technical question.

Spoiler

Can the Canadarm hold a hockey stick?

Edited by kerbiloid

27 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Ok, wow. Maybe NT aren't the front runners after all!

On that budget I think SpaceX is the only realistic prospect. 

The plan is to have a downselect, which likely gets pushed out from the original plan.

Every day a selection is pushed out helps SpaceX, since every day SpaceX makes progress towards having the capability anyway. Also, given likely budgets, who can make a lander with the least (or indeed NO) government cash inputs?

Dynetics? Cool lander, but they will do exactly nothing that is not paid for (they don't have the cash).

NT? Bezos has the money, but LockMart? If NASA asked for a different interior paint color from the render they were presented with LockMart would not change it without a change order, and cash paid to them, lol. Ditto Grumman. So minus funding, NT only progresses to the extent Bezos writes a check to LockMart/Grumman. Honestly, they'd be more like to make those elements themselves (which given their dev pace should be around by 2124),

That leaves SpaceX. They are making Starship regardless of what NASA does or doesn't pay for, without question.

Edited by tater

I've asked on Twitter but I'm not fully clear - are the bid amounts total for the next phase of development? I.e. divided over years it at least *somewhat* matches the proposed funding.

Or is it an annual dev cost and the proposed funding is therefore a joke?

Edited by RCgothic

9 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I've asked on Twitter but I'm not fully clear - are the bid amounts total for the next phase of development? I.e. divided over years it at least *somewhat* matches the proposed funding.

Or is it an annual dev cost and the proposed funding is therefore a joke?

it's for the year 2021 

• 5 weeks later...

Roscosmos has-decided-to-exit / is-expelled-from the Gateway project.
So, the future of the project now highly doubtful...

(Well, I give up with posting the link to my post there, so just copy.)

Spoiler

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://ria.ru/20210125/otstranenie-1594410088.html

Rumors say that Roscosmos is excluded by NASA from the lunar program, stopped receiving the mailing and so on, and lost the access to docs.

Upd.
The rumors prove true.

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/746682

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/746690

Rogozin stated that Russia is not interested in the American lunar program participation.
"How could we be expelled from a group, the members of which we had never been?
Yes, NASA sent to us a couple of times some documents, ran a briefing (not a discussion, but a briefing).
But we had already stated not once that we a ready to participate in a project where all members are equal."

The Roscosmos PR stated that Russia decided to exit the Gateway lunar project, but still is ready to continue a dialog with colleagues from US.

Edited by kerbiloid

A strange fact on an Artemis-related topic.

Either wiki and astronautix don't like me anymore, or all links at the Project Horizon pdfs (V1, V2) and all astronautix pages about its parts indeed become broken.

Artemis is new Horizon?
They decided to revive it instead of designing from scratch?

Will it include an infantry squad geological team with shooting wands, like the Horizon?

https://www.history.army.mil/faq/horizon/Horizon_V1.pdf

https://www.history.army.mil/faq/horizon/Horizon_V2.pdf

Upd.
Astronautix still partially contains. Only several pages are removed.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02/acting-nasa-chief-says-2024-moon-landing-no-longer-a-realistic-target/

"The 2024 lunar landing goal may no longer be a realistic target due to the last two years of appropriations, which did not provide enough funding to make 2024 achievable," the acting administrator, Steve Jurczyk, told Ars. "In light of this, we are reviewing the program for the most efficient path forward.”

2024 was always aspirational, IMO.

56 minutes ago, tater said:

If Shelby retires in 2024, any further development of the SLS is likely to be on hold.  Considering that Artemis is an essentially a project invented to give the SLS a mission, missing 2024 really puts the whole thing in doubt.  If they like it enough they can probably rebuild around Falcon Heavy or Vulcan (Vulcan will presumably be cheaper than SLS thanks to less Senate funding).

13 minutes ago, wumpus said:

If Shelby retires in 2024, any further development of the SLS is likely to be on hold.  Considering that Artemis is an essentially a project invented to give the SLS a mission, missing 2024 really puts the whole thing in doubt.  If they like it enough they can probably rebuild around Falcon Heavy or Vulcan (Vulcan will presumably be cheaper than SLS thanks to less Senate funding).

SLS is pretty pointless outside of it's primary role (funneling money into various districts is the primary function of SLS).

Vulcan lacks the capability I think to do much. I'm not sure it can get Orion to LEO with all 6 SRMs (mass to LEO is right on the edge of Orion CSM mass, and the LES is another 10 tons on top of that—then there are different trajectory requirements for aborts, don't think it can do it).

New Glenn, OTOH, could easily get Orion to LEO.

Then you need some distributed launch to build a cislunar stack in LEO.