Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

7 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

So if NRHO is more expensive on Dv whats its purpose? Cheaper insertion and ejection?

PDzVmq2.png

It's LESS expensive in dv to lunar orbit—but the orbit is high altitude. They get some benefit by it being eccentric, so it descends closer to the surface at the poles, but from a dv standpoint that doesn't help if the goal is the surface.

NRHO is because that is what Orion can do. That's why SLS missions to the actual interesting part of cislunar space—the lunar surface—are so complicated.

Apollo sent the CSM-LM to LLO, so the LM needed 2km/s on the descent stage and 2 km/s on the much smaller ascent stage.

SLS can send the CSM to NRHO, and then the lander needs 2.75 km/s to the surface, and 2.75 km/s back (maybe split between ascent and descent, maybe 1 vehicle like SS or Dynetics). This results in a substantially larger lander, as the total dv is 5.5 km/s, vs 2 km/s—and since SLS cannot comanifest such a lander, the lander also needs to put itself in NRHO, so it really needs 5.95 km/s—and even if staged, 3.2 km/s of that is with the full lander stack (so most costly propellant wise).

I've heard that 3 of the 13 cubesats that were due to launch on Artemis 1 have missed the deadline and now won't be launching on A1. The cubesats that won't be launching anymore are CU-E3, Lunar Flashlight, and CisLunar Explorers. I'd interpret this as meaning that Orion will be mated to the flight OSA relatively soon.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, Beccab said:

Posting here the part of the new NASA document most relevant to the artemis program, the restof the tweet thread is more part of HLS

As someone who has written a few briefs... I find this interesting.

Its not uncommon for parties that regularly work together to find themselves in litigation - but you don't typically cast a party you might want to work with in the future in such a disparaging way. 

Blue hasn't done themselves any favors, IMO. 

Aside from that - it also exposes perhaps some existential dread on the part of NASA who looks at a congress debating how to spend an ungodly amount of money - but hasn't yet debated where to get the money... And NASA is a place used to budget cuts.  Absent the inertia of progress, projects still in the planning phase are easy to cut. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tater said:

he "vicinity of the Moon". So inspiring

Hey - I'm supposed to be one of the snarky ones around here! 

Fine... 

So when was the last time we had humans around the moon (and how many circumlunar flights were there before we were feet really dry?) 

Lets see if we can bait him out a bit...hey @tater, SLS just got approved for an extra $20 billion of funding!

(I only joke cuz its entertaining to read you rip on SLS, haha)

Edited by Meecrob

• 4 weeks later...

Delays and costs aside, this part of the mission is cool. Bringing different stuff to the ISS has been a thing for awhile, but sending Legos around the Moon really makes me realize that at last, a crewed spacecraft will fly around the Moon again, nearly 50 years after the last one did.

I was one of those people looking forward for an SLS/Artemis LEGO set, and was surprised when such wasn't actually going to be released.

But a LEGO crew onboard is still pretty freaken cool.

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

They should use Starship to land an entire (Lego) Saturn V on the moon! Go one better than a few minifigures! (^ ω ^)

Actually, it would melt if you tried to take it outside (actually put Legos "on" the Moon). Bringing it to the surface in the ship would still be cool though.

On the other hand, building a Lego Mars base that is actually on Mars is doable and something that would be epic.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I just want Artemis to set up a Go Pro (or rather long term moon-functional analog) that would allow me to log in and watch the Earth from the Moon any time I want. 

A constant stream, available to everyone all the time. 

That would be cool. 

We should tweet that to Elon. He'd probably get few dozen Starlink satellites in Moon orbit to make sure stream is uninterrupted

5 minutes ago, Piscator said:

Well, one of the few things Gateway's proposed orbit is actually good for is providing an uninterrupted line of sight to Earth, so this would probably work quite well even without relay satellites.

A problem with that is that gateway is not... lunarstationary? selenostationary? relative to the surface, so that spot on the moon would not be in constant sight with Gateway. On the other hand, given that the moon is tidally locked, stuff on the surface is always either in sight of earth or always not in sight (for like 90% of the surface)... we'll have to wait and see what the best approach is