Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

I like the TDB for future landers.

Because 4 astronauts want to spend a couple weeks on the lunar surface in a volume about the size of my SUV, instead of something as large as a house.

Edited by tater

5 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I think that was more text alignment considerations than anything else.

If the concern is where in 2024, then yeah, all the text is to the right of the images, the images are not meant to be in the right month/quarter/etc, they are merely within a year.

So if HLS (not HLS? The second one for regular access) is a dual provider program, what will the criteria be for either Starship HLS (obviously getting picked) and the other lunar lander over each other for a mission?

It’s not like Commercial Crew where both vehicles have reasonably similar capability (barring the trunk) and can be swapped easily. Starship has much more capability than what little is known about the other potential competitors.

That’s not even necessarily the fault of the other potential providers. It is just hard to match Starship when they don’t have their own SHLV.

Makes me wonder if we might have seen proposals to launch HLS designs on SLS if it had the cadence to do that.

My personal prediction is that after seeing how HLS turned out the NextStep competitors (with the National Team either being a single entity or split into a proposal per company) will definitely push for much more ambitious proposals than the bare minimum ones in HLS - it won't be cheap, but NASA has shown that they are also willing to consider things beyond the simple objective of 2 people to the surface and maybe some reusability (especially since how easy it is to include Starship in a crewed mars program, with many options possible). We've already seen this with Lockmart, as they seem to be pushing for NTR to be used in their NextStep proposal

The only ones I don't think will be particularly ambitions will be Dynetics because well, they aren't large enough for that, and maybe Boeing seeing how terrible their HLS proposal was.

• 2 weeks later...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/11/the-oracle-who-predicted-slss-launch-in-2023-has-thoughts-about-artemis-iii/

With the ongoing delays to the launch of Artemis I, the Artemis III mission is now planned for a launch in 2025. Most of the space industry (correctly) figures this date is pretty optimistic, as the following things have to happen before Artemis III launches:

• Artemis I has to fly—and fly safely
  • Artemis II has to demonstrate the safety of humans on board Orion in a flight around the Moon
  • SpaceX has to complete Starship, demonstrate orbital refueling, and land a practice mission on the Moon
  • Axiom Space has to design, build, and test a next-generation spacesuit for the lunar surface
  • NASA has to complete loads of paperwork to certify the "safety" of Artemis III

So when I asked my source, "Do you think Artemis III will actually happen?"

"My starting point is 2028," he replied.

Given the bloat and delay baked into most big space programs today, 2028 is actually a pretty reasonable estimate for Artemis III. It would probably be my "starting point," too. But the space prophet didn't stop there. "It may happen in 2028, but I'm not sure it will be on SLS," he said.

The source then proceeds to describe a lunar mission architecture people on this forum have read about for a long time in such places as... this forum.

Crew Dragon to LEO. Transfer to LSS. Round trip from LEO to lunar surface and back to LEO, home on Dragon.

• 4 weeks later...

I was hoping to watch it re-enter, but it was at an extreme range of possible visibility under optimal conditions even on its initial trajectory, and after they brought it further south for weather, that was a clear no-go. Especially because, you know, weather. (Which is pretty much unheard of in California. Having weather, that is. Any kind.) But I'm glad the craft made it back safely. Hopefully, all the data from the internal monitoring will look good enough for them to go ahead with a manned flight. We haven't had anyone in a while checking in on the back side of the Moon. Need to make sure it's alright, and you can't always trust the robots. :mad:

36 minutes ago, K^2 said:

I was hoping to watch it re-enter, but it was at an extreme range of possible visibility under optimal conditions even on its initial trajectory, and after they brought it further south for weather, that was a clear no-go. Especially because, you know, weather. (Which is pretty much unheard of in California. Having weather, that is. Any kind.) But I'm glad the craft made it back safely. Hopefully, all the data from the internal monitoring will look good enough for them to go ahead with a manned flight. We haven't had anyone in a while checking in on the back side of the Moon. Need to make sure it's alright, and you can't always trust the robots. :mad:

It's probably gotten all covered in dust, what with getting left alone all that time. Better go sweep some of it up.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

And for Artemis III:

Interesting. The US would either have to trade off the “next man” or “first woman” accomplishments if that’s the case. Current PR suggests both are supposed to be Americans.

This would change if they decide to use Starship HLS’s full capacity and land all four astronauts on the Moon.

So after $40B-$50B in dev, plus $7B in direct cost for that one launch, we're giving 50% of the lander seats away for the expense of 3 service modules that combined cost <$1B?

Maybe the US should just buy seats to the lunar surface from ESA for just $1B each, it would be cheaper. Oh, wait.

I'm fine with other astronauts getting a ride, but there's pretty much zero excuse for the financial shares not to be fundamentally equal if that is the case, the 2 economies (Europe vs US) are basically the same size (ok, maybe 80% of) , yet the cost to date up until the landing will be such that the ESA contribution will be something on the order of 2% in return for a lander seat. US astronauts should be... miffed if that is the case.

Edited by tater

On 3/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, RCgothic said:

NASA has dropped an updated timeline:

Now, they can’t possibly think Artemis III can still happen in 2025. That was earlier predicted in a timeline that also had starship launching its orbital test flight in early 2022. But since the people putting together those schedules should know that better than anyone, why put this out?

Maybe they were moving stuff over to make room for it but ran out of time before they could slide Artemis iii to the right. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I’m surprised at Victor Glover being chosen, that means he is out for “next man” and first person of color in Artemis III.

Indeed. Watkins is my bet. She's a geologist as well.

54 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I’m surprised at Victor Glover being chosen, that means he is out for “next man” and first person of color in Artemis III.

He was my bet for Artemis III as well. Seems like he's heavily involved with the NASA-SpaceX partnership, so I'm sure he'll have plenty to do with ground support then.