Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

12 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Doesn't the Bk1 SLS core stage nearly enter orbit itself? 

I believe it's similar to the Shuttle external tank, in that MECO occurs just short of orbit and the ICPS nudges the vehicle the rest of the way into LEO.

29 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Doesn't the Bk1 SLS core stage nearly enter orbit itself? 

the B1 SLS Core stage can enter orbit with ICPS and Orion attached, but it is purposely put into a flight path with a perigee below 0. This will not occur with Block 1b and 1b+ because the core stage will stage at a lower speed, due to the weight of the EUS.

1 hour ago, Barzon said:

the B1 SLS Core stage can enter orbit with ICPS and Orion attached, but it is purposely put into a flight path with a perigee below 0. This will not occur with Block 1b and 1b+ because the core stage will stage at a lower speed, due to the weight of the EUS.

Last I knew SLS boosters and core can put a similar payload into LEO as SLS ICPS included.

But payload beyond LEO drops off much more quickly for core-only due to poor mass-fraction.

I have heard that Nasa is considering to have a Rendezvous and Proximity Operations Demo (RPOD) take place during Artemis II. In this Nasaspaceflight article, they say that the Orion could rendezous with a SpaceX Dragon XL, but I wonder how this could work since the mission uses a free-return trajectory. Would SpaceX launch the Dragon XL into lunar orbit and then rendezvous by entering the same trajectory? Would Orion and Dragon XL be launched at the same time? I'm not sure how this could work.

Also, this Nasa doc from the HEO meetings says that this could be accomplished with the ICPS, which would probably make more sense.

Nasaspaceflight article: https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020/05/heo-tdrs-replacement-improved-artemis-testing/

NASA HEO meeting doc: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/20200513-nac-heoc-aes-v3.pdf

1 hour ago, SpeedShot7 said:

Would SpaceX launch the Dragon XL into lunar orbit and then rendezvous by entering the same trajectory? Would Orion and Dragon XL be launched at the same time?

It would be a good test for SpaceX as well, considering Gateway will be in the same orbit (presumably).

I don't think SLS or FH can launch both to NRHO in one launch.

Edited by EchoLima

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

(Not selecting Boeing?)

This.

Because it's not about the things we're interested in even a little, if anything cool happens that's a happy extra for us.

Wow. But could it have been a mistake that had nothing to do with the HLS selections or D2 (hard to imagine a mistake with his D2 work)? Maybe for being too lenient with Boeing? There's no solid indication of what are he made the mistake in....

I think Boeing has too much on its plate right now as it is...

28 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Wow. But could it have been a mistake that had nothing to do with the HLS selections or D2 (hard to imagine a mistake with his D2 work)? Maybe for being too lenient with Boeing? There's no solid indication of what are he made the mistake in....

I think Boeing has too much on its plate right now as it is...

He writes about some “choice” and the “risk” he took earlier this year, what else can it be? 99% sure it’s about HLS contracts.

14 minutes ago, Barzon said:

If "pork" is the problem (which it isn't), Alabama gets plenty of it. Dynetics is based in Huntsville, and the ULA and BO factories are in Alabama.

BA didn't get any of it, that might be the problem.

1 hour ago, Barzon said:

If "pork" is the problem (which it isn't), Alabama gets plenty of it. Dynetics is based in Huntsville, and the ULA and BO factories are in Alabama.

Maybe the other players don’t want SS to have any success at all as it’s very destabilizing if it works at any level.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/heres-why-nasas-chief-of-human-spaceflight-resigned-and-why-it-matters/?comments=1

So Loverro was actually very pro-Boeing to the extent he wanted an integrated lander flown on SLS.

Maybe it's not about Boeing not getting it, maybe the OIG is going to say that because he thought they were the best choice he might have communicated with them in a way that voided their bid?

5 hours ago, tater said:

Maybe it's not about Boeing not getting it, maybe the OIG is going to say that because he thought they were the best choice he might have communicated with them in a way that voided their bid?

Only if their communication was discovered before deciding the winners (otherwise Boeing would get a contract). But he only quits now. Why wait and quit just before the historic crew launch?

49 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Only if their communication was discovered before deciding the winners (otherwise Boeing would get a contract). But he only quits now. Why wait and quit just before the historic crew launch?

At some point (since OIG found some issue, apparently) we might find out. The thought might be that he was helping one provider inappropriately (who lost anyway), and that the help might have been enough of an issue?

Pure speculation, really. It;s odd, though.

• 2 weeks later...