Off-kerbin hiring

9 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Are there any mods that allow you to get new kerbonauts somewhere besides the astronaut complex on kerbin and do not dramatically change the game in some other way?

Well, there are the obvious rescue contracts...   But the one I get a kick out of is one of the contract configurator packs calls for you to hold a space camp.  You send up a couple dozen tourists into orbit for 40 days, and upon recovery, 3 of them join your program, one of each role.   The cool little thing is that since they went through "KSP Space Academy", they start with 5 extra XP points.  It's pretty much a standing contract, so pretty soon after finishing one camp, it offers it up again. 

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Well, there are the obvious rescue contracts...   But the one I get a kick out of is one of the contract configurator packs calls for you to hold a space camp.  You send up a couple dozen tourists into orbit for 40 days, and upon recovery, 3 of them join your program, one of each role.   The cool little thing is that since they went through "KSP Space Academy", they start with 5 extra XP points.  It's pretty much a standing contract, so pretty soon after finishing one camp, it offers it up again. 

Sorry, I worded the first post pretty poorly. I was wondering if there’s a way to have kerbals spawn somewhere besides kerbin, other than rescue contracts.

Civilian Population had a feature like this, though I don't know if there's a working version at the moment.  I know MKS has been talking about doing something like this, but I'm not sure if it's out yet.  (And I'm pretty sure MKS violates the 'dramatically change the game in some other way' clause...)

If all you want is a cheaper way to get Kerbals in career there is also TRP-Hire. It lets you hire Kerbals in bulk at discounted rates, with none of the exponentially rising cost in the stock game. Otherwise, the mods DStall pointed out are the only off-Kerbin mods I've heard about that spawn Kerbals.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:08 AM, Gargamel said:

What contract pack does that?

12 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

What contract pack does that?

Ahh geez... gonna make me dig aren't ya?     Off the top of my head Stations and Bases? (still running a 1.3.1 game if that makes a difference)..... and digging through the Mod release thread, I don't see a mention of that..... Hmmmm..... I just get home from work and you make me do more work?  sheesh.... ok still digging....

Ok found it... it's not in the main OP, but it is in the Change log:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.