KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - OP-E Large Scanning

St4rdust

OP-E Large Scanning
The Experimental Engineering Group's marketing department claims this is another once in a lifetime achievement. 
We're starting to get suspicious!

Nonetheless, this even larger rover arm has four separate instruments, and we can't think of what else they might add, so this is probably the top of the line model from them.

Hmm.

So, we pull up to one of these features, select the arm, and click the "Scan <feature>" button, and it does what it does?

Is there independent control or anything else, or is it locked in to what we see in the video (approach, click, wait a bit, click, done)?

3 minutes ago, Aria_of_skittles said:

720 science from one sample? Will other surface features have similarly huge science amounts?

Remember that's on Val one of Jool's moons it will almost assuredly be lower for places closer to kerbin.

Edited by Chryssalid 8492

19 minutes ago, Chryssalid 8492 said:

Remember that's on Val one of Jool's moons it will almost assuredly be lower for places closer to kerbin.

Something tells me that by the time we unlock that robotic arm and have the means to land it on Vall, there won’t be much stuff left to unlock with science.

720 science! JUICY!

Now there's real incentive to look around for these things. Will I build a hopper? Resupply it with ISRU? Or will I build a rover? Depends on how much gravity there is on the body. Certainly Tylo would be in the rover class. Bop and Pol would be in the hopper class. Vall, though? hmmm... I'm undecided.

Edited by Xavven

I really hate to be that guy, and I for one am hyped for the DLC no matter what, but (at least the rover arm) the science collection seems to be a delayed version of land and click science we currently have. To be clear: I'm not talking about the planet-side science parts. Those are a different matter. The rover arm does seem to be an update on conventional science instruments, but I feel like a limitation is that it can only be used on surface features (right?). Maybe you land, and use it, but to get to another surface feature it would be a long drive. Can it collect science from the surface? The reason I think this would be a shortfall is that with the real rovers that use this kind of equipment, there are surface features literally everywhere. Even assuming it can collect science from the ground as well as from surface features, that's two collections. Then it's another long drive to another biome / surface feature, which some more casual players might not want to invest time in. I admit, though, landing a rover on Val and actually driving it to every surface feature would be extremely profitable; based on the video it could maybe unlock the whole tech tree. So it seems to me that either the rover arm is an extended land and click science device, or a completely overpowered tech tree grinding machine.

38 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Out of curiosity

I see what you did there... :D

But in all seriousness, I love all the new science equipment shown so far.  These will not only make surface activities more fun, but with the amount of experiments to run (including long-term data collection), I'm thinking the establishment of surface bases will be even more practical to maximize science gains.  Dedicated parts for surface base construction would probably be useful too... ;) (as I cough in a very unsubtle way)

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Something tells me that by the time we unlock that robotic arm and have the means to land it on Vall, there won’t be much stuff left to unlock with science.

I still enjoy science farming for the rep bonuses. 

1 hour ago, warrior606 said:

I really hate to be that guy, and I for one am hyped for the DLC no matter what, but (at least the rover arm) the science collection seems to be a delayed version of land and click science we currently have. To be clear: I'm not talking about the planet-side science parts. Those are a different matter. The rover arm does seem to be an update on conventional science instruments, but I feel like a limitation is that it can only be used on surface features (right?). Maybe you land, and use it, but to get to another surface feature it would be a long drive. Can it collect science from the surface? The reason I think this would be a shortfall is that with the real rovers that use this kind of equipment, there are surface features literally everywhere. Even assuming it can collect science from the ground as well as from surface features, that's two collections. Then it's another long drive to another biome / surface feature, which some more casual players might not want to invest time in. I admit, though, landing a rover on Val and actually driving it to every surface feature would be extremely profitable; based on the video it could maybe unlock the whole tech tree. So it seems to me that either the rover arm is an extended land and click science device, or a completely overpowered tech tree grinding machine.

Even if it is just a glorified "click this button 4 science", I personally think the game would have that much more polish if all the scientific instruments had at least some kind of animation. Little details like that make a difference in the feel of the game.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

underwater "surface" features

An underwater ocean on eeloo or vall that you could send a sub too, or walk soon the bottom of the ice ceiling of said ocean would be incredible, but likely out of the dlc scope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.