Squad should make kerbal space program for nintendo switch

I think the Switch could run KSP- but it would have to be very custom built to keep the processing at a minimum so the hardware can handle running KSP. Granted I think you'd have to modify so much you'd end up with a new game altogether. That said- Squad doesn't make console ports. They've contracted out for them. If they do branch out to the Switch- it'll likely be through another 3rd party entity.

1 hour ago, Kerbal is The Best said:

But do you think squad could do it

I'd say that the likelihood of KSP being able to run on the Switch, technically, are pretty low.

Obviously anybody outside of Squad would need a crystal ball to be able to know for sure what they will or won't do... but personally, I'd say that this is solidly in the "can never happen" category.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, answering people's questions about "would it run well?" KSP for Wii U was considered, and Wii U didn't have much in the way of performance. The Switch is more powerful than an Xbox 360 (older gen, I know.) and nobody seems to doubt whether that'd run KSP. A switch's specs are 2.3GHz for the CPU and 1.172GHz for the GPU, which is (probably) more than the laptop I run KSP on, heavily modded and only slightly  laggy. So I think it'd be capable. Just take into account that I may b a little bised on this front, owning both a Switch and a Wii U but apart from that, there's my contribution.

23 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If the Switch can run Skyrim and LA Noire, pretty sure it could handle a less demanding version of KSP

The problem is, KSP is not a graphics game like those are, but a physics based game.  Different processing power is required.  Plus, imagine what happens if they release another console version even more stripped down than the ones already out there.   It would not end well.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

The problem is, KSP is not a graphics game like those are, but a physics based game.  Different processing power is required.  Plus, imagine what happens if they release another console version even more stripped down than the ones already out there.   It would not end well.

I fear it too. But I like the Switch KSP idea @SQUAD should probably make a more Minnier version. I mean they got THIS close to releasing it on the 3DS. And the switch is a little (I say little when it's a lot) more powerful than 3ds

It was on Nintendo E-shop back in 2014 probably when it could handle it. It's still on there as "Coming soon." But, I don't think it will be :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

That is news to me, do you have any sources for that? 

Edit: Nintendo 3DS e-shop

On 6/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, Spacenerd Kerman said:

The Switch is more powerful than an Xbox 360 (older gen, I know.) and nobody seems to doubt whether that'd run KSP.

What? As far as I know KSP is already struggling on the current consoles. Who in their right mind would think that the 360 would be strong enough?

On 6/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, Spacenerd Kerman said:

A switch's specs are 2.3GHz for the CPU and 1.172GHz for the GPU, which is (probably) more than the laptop I run KSP on, heavily modded and only slightly  laggy. So I think it'd be capable.

The problem with that statement is that the strength of a processor isn't measured in its clock rate. The clock rate is just one of many factors that determine the strength and it is usually emphasized in adds because a single high number sells better than a complicated setup of benchmark results. Just look for example at the awful Pentium IV series from Intel that was build mainly around the idea of selling people a high clock rate but was in the succeeded by CPUs with a much lower clock rate that were based on the older Pentium 3, because the Pentium IV design was absolutely inefficient.

Or just compare the benchmark results of the old Pentium IV and a modern Core i Pentium at the same clock speed: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Pentium-Gold-G5500-vs-Intel-Pentium-4-3.80GHz/3271vs1081

On 6/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, Spacenerd Kerman said:

Well, answering people's questions about "would it run well?" KSP for Wii U was considered,

...and dropped.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, Spacenerd Kerman said:

The Switch is more powerful than an Xbox 360 (older gen, I know.) and nobody seems to doubt whether that'd run KSP.

Nobody doubts it. Instead, we know it couldn't. Oh sure, it could run it, but any ship big enough to reach space would slow the console to a crawl.

KSP on consoles was a bad idea. It's still a bad idea. Porting it to another console is a worse idea. Porting it to the weakest console in the current gen is a terrible idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.