KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Robotics

St4rdust

13 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Now I want a winged trebuchet that can flap its way to different sites

Or fly up as high as possible before throwing a catapult into space, to throw a payload into orbit.

Edited by 5thHorseman

3 hours ago, nestor said:

We are preparing some examples showing that.

That's good to hear, as last time a UI was previewed... it met with a bit of a frosty reception to which the community voiced their concerns and suggestion... and then you guys took that on board and delivered a much better solution! :D 

Probably a bit late in the day now to be making changes based off community feedback but I guess that's why you have your incredible tester group that seem to catch these kind of things before you preview them to us.

2 hours ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

from what I can tell this craft probably requires the currently unrevealed spinny thingy to work as it does

Why's that?  The video gives a pretty good close-up of the craft's moving parts, and it looks as though each wing is just a pair of the hinges that were already shown off previously.

Just two hinges for each wing:  one to flap it up and down, the other to tilt it forward and backward.

13 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

I can see a challenge: Make a better Game of Thrones, staring Valentina as Dany and KSC as Kings Landing.

See if they'd just kept Missandei alive long enough for Cersei to throw her out a window when the bells were ringing we'd have at least understood why Dany lost her mind.

Wait *ahem* sorry I mean sweet thopter!!

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

...last time a UI was previewed it met with a bit of a frosty reception to which the community voiced their concerns and suggestion...

...but I guess that's why you have your incredible tester group that seem to catch these kind of things before you preview them to us.

One of these sentences is not like the other.

Glad you guys like it. I swear I just watched it fly for an hour because it was mesmerizing. Just seeing the shadow as it flaps is so cool. 

7 hours ago, MechBFP said:

By the way, anything you can or are willing to say @Yargnit? :)

I know you have an NDA

I obviously can't talk about things that haven't been revealed. What I can say is this barely scratches the surface of the potential of what things can be used for. This was a ~20 minute build that I designed in my head at work, and my first time trying some things. I can't wait to see the stuff that the community will come up with once everyone gets a chance to build with the new parts and learn off of each others advances. I've watched what everyone around has done to make hinges and moving parts within the limitation of the stock game over the last 5+ years and how it's grown to where it is now, and I can only imagine what everyone will be able to design in a few months, let alone a few years time, with what we're getting here. :D

This has been my most requested feature since I started seriously playing over 5 years ago. It's gonna be gud. ;) 

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Oh boy, the Kraken will soon feast...

Yes it will, but i am pretty excited to especially see, what you will do with the new parts. Raptor Aerospace is always worth a visit. :)

This is great.

I was worried we wouldn't have looping and sequential movements at all for the hinges, and it would just be part by part animations from the part window, or action groups. They showed us what looked like walking robots, but we had no idea if they were actually practically functional, since we haven't seen the UI. At least now we've seen a loop of sequential movements from the hinges. (show us the rotors next... I really hope, for the sake of part count, that theirs a rotor that will rotate both its forward and back nodes, so e don't have to use two of them if we want a rotating section in the middle of our craft).

Also, I'm not sure that I can make a stock submarine. I've tried and failed to make screw propellors that work in water (they work just fine in air). A single one moved my craft (a "boat" at the time) sideways (as if hydrodynamic drag was modeled, but not lift... I'm uncertain to how effective hydrofoils actually are), but not forwards. The blades entering the water functioned like a paddle wheel, even with very low pitch. So I've made some paddleboats, and those worked... somewhat:

R4tEbQy.png

Anyway... if for some reason contra rotating screw propellers don't work, then I can always use a flapping mechanism. rotate perpendicular to the direction of travel, push back, rotate parallel to direction of travel (minimize drag when bringinge the wing/paddle forward), pull forward, loop.

They had better allow us to control rotation speed/loop speed with throttle, and allow us to start/stop loops with normal control inputs (like forward key starts a loop mapped to walking forward, for instance).

It will be interesting to see a "fastest ornithopter" challenge... that one looks like it could be optimized a lot.

Wow, I see some complex movement there.

My prediction about UI and sequencing: you position parts and hinges in VAB, save those positions as something like keyframes, then shuffle those around. Because full complex numeric sequencing like in IR would be too complicated for Stock game, and something super-simple would probably not be enough for the kind of movement shown here (unless it's just two hinges oscilating simultaneously with the same period).

20 hours ago, Jestersage said:

I can see a challenge: Make a better Game of Thrones, staring Valentina as Dany and KSC as Kings Landing.

A special prize should be awarded for the first person to destroy an external command seat with a fire breathing dragon contraption.

5 minutes ago, klesh said:

You’re waiting till the very last day before the content is available, I guess?

That reminds me of my employer:

"We're going to introduce a new method for processing survey results"

"can we see it?"

"It's not done yet, we can't show it"

"can we see it?" (repeat 5×) ... Finally:

"Here it is! Isn't it great?"

"Eeeehm... you applied the calculation the wrong way. Here's some literature on it. See? Page 12?"

"Well, it's implemented now, so we can't change it. Wish you told us earlier"

I mean, I get it; they're probably very busy, but they really seem to be missing the marketing opportunities here.  I don't need to see a Scott Manley wing folding ship - we know you can do that, or another 6-second video of neon suits, ya know?  C'est la vie.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.