KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Robotics

St4rdust

In fairness this is probably something that’s easier to understand by playing with it, which we’ll all be able to do in a couple days. 

Its also likely with something so complex there’s gonna be some bugs. Hopefully they aren’t too bad right away.

Mmmmh... a new savegame is required for the surface features? Does that mean I need to start a new career? That's actually bad news for me. 

Edited by Shmauck

1 hour ago, Shmauck said:

Mmmmh... a new savegame is required for the surface features? Does that mean I need to start a new career? That's actually bad news for me. 

58 minutes ago, klesh said:

Yes.

If you look at the replies to the top comment on @ShadowZone's video, he explains a way to add the new features to an existing game, but it involves editing your savegame.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

If you look at the replies to the top comment on @ShadowZone's video, he explains a way to add the new features to an existing game, but it involves editing your savegame.

I did.
In general you can find out a lot about KSP from analyzing savegame files and/or config files, especially for newly added parts and features. There is for instance a .cfg file that defines which terrain feature is present on which planet or moon and in which biome. I am pretty sure modders can use the structure of that config to add their own surface features for scanning. I'm really hoping this might one day apply to my favorite mod of all time: OPM.

In regards to the save game edit: I put up a screenshot of two saves, one old and one new. The old one has a value of "-1" for the terrain features. The new one sports a random integer at that place. So if you change the "-1" to a random integer, it will enable these terrain features

https://imgur.com/a/xC2ak4q

!!! HOWEVER !!!
I am pretty sure this voids any chance of official support you could get if this does not turn out the way you might like ;)
For instance: a cryovolcano could spawn right in the middle of your landed Jool-5 ship and ... Kaboom!

So use this information at your own risk. And backup your save file before you try this!

Sure, I presume you could just start a new save to get the DLC goodies, and then paste in all the old vessel information from your old save.  I always start a new save with every update.  Nothing I've done in any save can't be recreated or even done better in a new one.

21 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

I did.
In general you can find out a lot about KSP from analyzing savegame files and/or config files, especially for newly added parts and features. There is for instance a .cfg file that defines which terrain feature is present on which planet or moon and in which biome. I am pretty sure modders can use the structure of that config to add their own surface features for scanning. I'm really hoping this might one day apply to my favorite mod of all time: OPM.

In regards to the save game edit: I put up a screenshot of two saves, one old and one new. The old one has a value of "-1" for the terrain features. The new one sports a random integer at that place. So if you change the "-1" to a random integer, it will enable these terrain features

https://imgur.com/a/xC2ak4q

!!! HOWEVER !!!
I am pretty sure this voids any chance of official support you could get if this does not turn out the way you might like ;)
For instance: a cryovolcano could spawn right in the middle of your landed Jool-5 ship and ... Kaboom!

So use this information at your own risk. And backup your save file before you try this!

Kaboom! is totally Kerbal spirit xD

Great and huge thanks to all of you! My career is only in its beginnings and I don‘t have so many bases yet, nor have I visited any bodies other than Mun and Minmus yet. That‘s why I tend to just activate it and see. I certainly could do some things different (and better) in a new career but I am doing these mission reports here in the forum and would just like to continue from where I am.

I wonder if that integer is a kind of seed that leads to surface objects spawning in same locations whenever the same seed is used. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.