KSP Loading... Breaking Ground under the spotlight!

SQUAD

Congratulations on what seems to be an amazing DLC. I am sure there will be the usual complaining (fix bugs first, how dare you expect money for your efforts, mods can do this, etc) but I’m sure the majority of the community will see this for what it is: a spectacular expansion of the base game.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

As I understand it, a rotor is the rotational part of a motor (stator being the stationary part), but the entire assembly together is a motor.

Yeah, I'm with you here. I suppose actuator (rotary actuator?) would also be fine. Although, if works like it is supposed to, they could call it a thingamabob and it wouldn't bother me too much.

5 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

Yeah, I'm with you here. I suppose actuator (rotary actuator?) would also be fine. Although, if works like it is supposed to, they could call it a thingamabob and it wouldn't bother me too much.

Ha, yes. If they called it "spin-o-matic" I wouldn't even care. :D

21 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

Rotor?

I'm not usually one to point out scientific issue in KSP, but why is it called a rotor instead of motor?

As I understand it, a rotor is the rotational part of a motor (stator being the stationary part), but the entire assembly together is a motor.

Is there some other part/contraption I'm missing, which also has that name? Or does the part not work the way I think it does?

Space Engineers did the same thing, calling it a rotor when it's supposed to a motor/servo.

Probably because it’s easier to say than “Electrical motor with built in rotor”. 

Edited by MechBFP

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Giving our community the ability to build even more complex creations might seem like a strange idea for anyone familiar with KSP...
- David Tregoning, Lead Developer

Is KSP's lead developer familiar with KSP?

51 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

Sorry for that - my attempt to add some humour didnt come across right.

I see.  Happens to me all the time.

Honestly, i dont see anything here to complain about, looks like a very solid DLC, especially with the robotics content.  The robotics is imo the center focus of this DLC, and lets face it, krakenless moveables is something a very large percetage of the community wanted for ages (IR, while a amazing mod, is very limited in what it can do and causes alot of broken craft cause its so buggy).

So yeah, 1st thing im making is a battlemech...

d4ugbiu-01b27638-b1dc-4160-81e1-6e19e589

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Grand Slam Passive Seismometer

Unlike other experiments, the Grand Slam Passive Seismometer only operates under one condition… when controlled seismic events are created by crashing something into a planet. In addition to the excitement and fun of smashing things, you’ll collect data instantaneously with this device.

How are we not talking about this?? This is amazing! Will proximity or impact force matter? Can we set up an array of these and slam something in the middle of it?

I also love the little suites of site-appropriate geologic features and that we'll be able to pick up the little ones. Can we claw the medium ones? Also... can the big ones be even bigger?

Edited by Pthigrivi

Lol. The idea of ships crashing into surface and seismometer detection giving science had been suggested, now they're implementing it. Once again, we have to pay  for these requested features.Great job SQUAD!

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Lol. The idea of ships crashing into surface and seismometer detection giving science had been suggested, now they're implementing it. Once again, we have to pay  for these requested features.Great job SQUAD!

It’s also been done in real life.

Just now, MechBFP said:

It’s also been done in real life.

Yes, I know lol. They're finally adding it to the game! SPENDING TIME! $$$$$$

Oh and I'm expecting the planetary features that add more detail will only be part of the DLC too. $$$$$$

1 hour ago, FleshJeb said:

EVA portraits are an immersion-breaking hard "no" as well--I hope there's eventually a setting to turn them off (as well as the regular crew portraits).

EVA portraits can be turned off in a game setting.

Rover Arm naming question: 

(smallest) CRSY : Seems to suggest "Curiosity" - presently the largest rover operating on Mars. I think the smallest arm would make more sense if named after Sojourner ( SOJ-R ?) the first and smallest rover on Mars. While it didn't have an articulated arm, it was able to deploy and retract a single-function Alpha Proton X-ray Spectrometer
apxsdep.gif (APXS testing on Earth)

(medium) SPRT: Seems to suggest "Sprit"  ||  (large) OP-E : Seems to suggest "Opportunity"  :  each one the same size. 

Edited by basic.syntax

21 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

How are we not talking about this?? This is amazing! Will proximity or impact force matter? Can we set up an array of these and slam something in the middle of it?

Proximity does matter. You can have multiple on a CB, but the mechanic is that it will provide diminishing science returns the more you have on the CB.

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

Proximity does matter. You can have multiple on a CB, but the mechanic is that it will provide diminishing science returns the more you have on the CB.

Gold. Honestly this DLC is everything. 

5 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Giving our community the ability to build even more complex creations might seem like a strange idea for anyone familiar with KSP

Tell me this was deadpan sarcasm.

EDIT: Haha seems I'm not the only one to be curious about that.

Edited by 5thHorseman

6 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

What if you have them scattered across the surface, can a large enough impact be registered by all of them? Much like how large earthquakes can register on equipment hundreds of miles away.

1 minute ago, shdwlrd said:

What if you have them scattered across the surface, can a large enough impact be registered by all of them? Much like how large earthquakes can register on equipment hundreds of miles away.

Yup.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.