KSP Loading... Breaking Ground under the spotlight!

SQUAD

This expansion adds a lot to the tech tree... is Squad taking a look at moving some existing parts around, and slotting in these new ones?  How many new parts will be added to the 1000 science nodes ;)  

I'm very happy to learn that the new Action group extensions are coming to the base game! 

Please give "stock" players something new to find in the solar system: Squad could promote the expansion a little more,  by adding the small "take home" surface features.

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

No! Adding content never in the game to purchase pack! :D

:huh:

Yeah! Finally implementing popularly requested features in packs to purchase!

Can't wait for KSP Loading... Storage Systems DLC Announced! 

(Looking at you, KIS/KAS)

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yeah! Finally implementing popularly requested features in packs to purchase!

Can't wait for KSP Loading... Storage Systems DLC Announced! 

(Looking at you, KIS/KAS)

Yeah! Expecting everything you demand to be free after a pittance of an initial payment years ago!

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Yeah! Expecting everything you demand to be free after a pittance of an initial payment years ago!

Same old responses are epic!

:DDDD 

33 minutes ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

this big showcase is cool and all, but I personally would have prefered more of the drip-feed style of announcement If anything just because I personally have a hard time taking this all in by way of of a single dump of content

The last 7 days of posts weren't drip enough?

HYPE INTENSIFIES!!!!!

I'm pretty confident that Squad's goal of giving us "stuff to do once we land" will be successful with this DLC. Rovers were fun to take in the scenery but had limited usefulness except in specific cases. Now there's a more gameplay-centric reason to move around once you land, to find rock samples and to scan cryovolcanoes and such. I like that both manned (find and return rocks) and unmanned (rover arms) activities are covered here.

I love the references to Curiosity, Spirit, and Opportunity in the rover arm models! :) As someone pointed out, the sizes are backwards, but that said, Opportunity holds the record for off-world miles driven and therefore deserves the highest honors IMHO.

I remember the community suggesting impact experiments become a thing. Not that I or anybody here deserve credit for the idea, but I'm glad to see this finally implemented with the new seismometer. I actually love the idea of it only working when you crash something near it, as opposed to having it just sit there and measure moon-quakes -- that's what the old Double-C Seismic Accelerometer we already have is for. 

And of course, the robotics! I'm SOOOOO building a prop plane for Eve flight!

Just now, Bill the Kerbal said:

it would be awesome if unlikely that kerbal eva portraits could have iva/first person in a future update.

There won't be any more 'future updates' as it'll all be bundled into a DLC

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Ah, that's good to hear... I thought it was probably a 'lost-in-transcription' kind of thing.

EDIT: I think it's also because the official articles and press releases are super-dry in their discourse that the 'go-to' is to take statements at face value. 

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Is KSP's lead developer familiar with KSP?

I see.  Happens to me all the time.

33 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Tell me this was deadpan sarcasm.

EDIT: Haha seems I'm not the only one to be curious about that.

I have a new plan...

<humor>I'm soo misunderstood</humor>

Nailed it!

Just now, TriggerAu said:

Nailed it!

You're certainly hammering it in to us with your humour 

Just now, Bill the Kerbal said:

@The_Cat_In_Space

Did you not notice the fact that the base game is getting updates as well?

And even if it is, then more reason to support my favorite game that I have thousands of hours of playtime in.

Base game getting updates? Since when? Revamps don't count m8

5 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

You're certainly hammering it in to us with your humour 

Base game getting updates? Since when? Revamps don't count m8

This bit in the article has some bits about base game updates

Additions to the base game

With the release of Breaking Ground, the base game is also getting some updates that will add a few new features.

For starters, the inventory mechanic that is used by deployed science will be available in the base code, for modders to use and extend as they wish.  

Additionally, we’re adding two extensions to our action group system. The first one adds another type of action group for controls that let you bind input controls to fields - an axis group. The second adds Action Sets, which allow you to enable or disable sets of axis or action groups.  

This extends what you can do with a limited number of keys, letting you put your craft into different modes of operation.  You can even override the base controls with the action set feature, further fine tuning the interface between you and your craft. We developed these extensions to give players more options to control their robotics, but it certainly will be useful for stock and modded players as well.

5 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Additions to the base game

With the release of Breaking Ground, the base game is also getting some updates that will add a few new features.

For starters, the inventory mechanic that is used by deployed science will be available in the base code, for modders to use and extend as they wish.  

Additionally, we’re adding two extensions to our action group system. The first one adds another type of action group for controls that let you bind input controls to fields - an axis group. The second adds Action Sets, which allow you to enable or disable sets of axis or action groups.  

@The_Cat_In_Space

This, the 1.6 Delta-Vee display, the 1.7 skybox, the 1.7 orbital display, the 1.7 altimeter...

i could go on. and again, I have had endless hours of enjoyment from KSP, So I'm happy to pay for some more.

25 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

The last 7 days of posts weren't drip enough?

I dunno, i guess it was too much to ask to have constant posts right up to release I don't know why I want slower buildup, after all I can't have buildup of hype for the next year and a half until this comes to console

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yikes. I was talking about parts. Delta V and Altimeter displays are great an all, but no parts to be seen anywhere. 

Parts are one of the lowest things on my KSP wishlist.  Give me more gameplay enhancements over just another fuel tank any day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.