KSP Loading... Breaking Ground under the spotlight!

SQUAD

Yeah I don't feel like we need to press on with that so much but damn, there are some companies scalping people out there and Squad is not one of them. We've gotten so much killer new content since 1.0 for free and this DLC looks absolutely amazing. They've been super fair to us and I really couldn't be happier.

Anyhoo, back to the realz. I'm also digging the simple dynamic with the deployed experiments--goo for general, weather for atmo, ionograph for vacuum, and seismometer for impactor fun. Im curious if the existing experiments got love or are they still mostly as-is? And as far as the ECS and power supply goes will having a powered vessel with a probecore nearby substitute? I could see incentivising ground bases by having a powered MPL on the surface act as an ECS.

2 hours ago, Anth12 said:

I have to admit the KAL-1000 has my attention more than anything else. I am going to Bug Test the heck out of it!!!! should be interesting.....

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going."

I think this going to make me pause my campaign. I'm about to launch an expedition to Duna and now I am compelled to wait for more science equipment.

And rover parts. I don't know what kind to make yet, but I do need them.

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Parts are one of the lowest things on my KSP wishlist.  Give me more gameplay enhancements over just another fuel tank any day.

Cannot agree more. If I want parts, I'll get a mod. The only people who can add more radically new mechanics are SQUAD.

Edited by Bill the Kerbal

10 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

Cannot agree more. If I want parts, I'll get a mod. The only people who can add more radically new mechanics are SQUAD.

Alas for those of us over in the console dimension both are of generally equal priority.

That said I truly hope this DLC gets to us quicker than the making history did as I have so many ideas. Until then I shall enjoy the contraptions you all come up with.

Edited by Chryssalid 8492

43 minutes ago, Chryssalid 8492 said:

Alas for those of us over in the console dimension both are of generally equal priority.

Really do be like that sometimes. We're the forgotten players. I watch as the KSP Loadings come and go, everyone gets hyped about the new features, forgets that there is a whole other group of players who bought it for $50 to only receive updates every 6-9 months. 

>end<

Will we be able to free pivot the hinges and motors? Does anyone know?

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Really do be like that sometimes. We're the forgotten players. I watch as the KSP Loadings come and go, everyone gets hyped about the new features, forgets that there is a whole other group of players who bought it for $50 to only receive updates every 6-9 months. 

>end<

The reason it takes so long to update on console isn't because of Squad or anyone they work with to produce the console versions. It's Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo themselves that slow down the process. Microsoft literally will test the update themselves and run it through a certification process before pushing it through to the Xbox. I believe Sony does the same thing. It's not Squad's fault, don't blame them. Blame Microsoft and Sony for their ridiculous processes. 

I know this because I learned of it for Minecraft for the Xbox. I found a thread talking about the slow update process and someone talked about there's a certification process that can add weeks or even a month to the process, because sometimes Microsoft would decline the update because of whatever reason. 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Will we be able to free pivot the hinges and motors? Does anyone know?

you seem to have mixed the two things together whereby one implies you can't do the other... But anyway, you can by setting robotic parts to have no motor.

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

you seem to have mixed the two things together whereby one implies you can't do the other... But anyway, you can by setting robotic parts to have no motor.

I meant rotors by saying motors. I was talking about the two parts separately, but that is great to hear, thank you. 

One more question, do they come with crossfeed capability or will we need the fuel pipes?

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION - Will the new terrain scatters break Kopernicus in some way? Or will Kopernicus just sail over them? Do we have to uninstall our planet packs to play with this?

Just now, Xurkitree said:

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION - Will the new terrain scatters break Kopernicus in some way? Or will Kopernicus just sail over them? Do we have to uninstall our planet packs to play with this?

Any update like this is bound to break mods, but as for the surface features, they are planet specific, so if you have new planets in the system, I doubt it would effect them. 

7 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

I think maybe the thought was a motorized hinge may have a part action the free pivot, sort of how we can free pivot the klaw before locking it back down.

6 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

This bit in the article has some bits about base game updates

Wait So....

Say can I have all solar panels match or anti-match the activation status of a toggling group like gear?

ie Gear out ->Solar Panels away / Gear in -> Solar Panels out

nevermind my mind is hurting trying to process this will just have to wait and play with it.

9 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Sorry for that - my attempt to add some humour didnt come across right. We of course we want more complex and crazy  and look forward to seeing what you all can come up with

I got it, don't feel too bad.

12 hours ago, SQUAD said:
No science base will run without power, and the Mini-NUK-PD Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator will provide plenty of power to run a central station and deployed science experiments. If deployed by an engineer it will more efficient, if they are a high level one then even more. ...

An alternative power generator is the OX-Stat-PD Photovoltaic Panel, which will also be more efficient when properly set up by a trained engineer.

Although the Experiment Control Station has its own data transmission device, if you’re on a faraway planet, you might need to bring the Communotron Ground HG-48 antenna with you to boost the signal of your deployed science base.

Robotics

Rotor

Not much to explain about the rotor, it will allow you to generate torque around its axis. Maybe you’ll build a spinning space station or ferris wheel with this, or any other rotational contraption you can think of.

Rotational servo

The Rotational servo will give you precise control of angular position. Using proportional control, servos have unlimited potential to create all sorts of inventions, where you want to have precise control of the position of certain parts.

Additions to the base game

Additionally, we’re adding two extensions to our action group system. The first one adds another type of action group for controls that let you bind input controls to fields - an axis group. The second adds Action Sets, which allow you to enable or disable sets of axis or action groups.  

This extends what you can do with a limited number of keys, letting you put your craft into different modes of operation.  You can even override the base controls with the action set feature, further fine tuning the interface between you and your craft. 

A few questions:

1) Can normal power generating parts stand in ofr the deployable power parts, or are they  operating on a completely different resource? Could those deployable power parts be used to power a surface base, like an MPL and ISRU? Could a normal antenna stand in for the deployable one?

2) Can a servo be set to spin indefinitely... if so, isn't it redundant with the rotors, couldn't their functions have been combined?

3) The action group changes are just Win. I had been wanting the ability to edit action groups on the fly, but this isn't bad. It means I can have 1 set of action groups for my launch vehicle, and another set (or sets) for my payload. This is very nice

8 hours ago, Phoenix84 said:

Rotor?

I'm not usually one to point out scientific issue in KSP, but why is it called a rotor instead of motor?

As I understand it, a rotor is the rotational part of a motor (stator being the stationary part), but the entire assembly together is a motor.

Is there some other part/contraption I'm missing, which also has that name? Or does the part not work the way I think it does?

I think basic english would support Rotor = thing that Rotates. (A rotator)

Looking up the definition with google:

a hub with a number of radiating aerofoils that is rotated in an approximately horizontal plane to provide the lift for a helicopter or other rotary wing aircraft.
    the rotating assembly in a turbine.
    • the armature of an electric motor.
    • the rotating part of the distributor of an internal combustion engine which successively makes and breaks electrical contacts so that each spark plug fires in turn.
      noun: rotor arm; plural noun: rotor arms
    • the rotating container in a centrifuge.
    • the rotary winder of a clockwork watch.
    METEOROLOGY
    a large eddy in which the air circulates about a horizontal axis, especially in the lee of a mountain.

Since, for example, the main blade assembly of a helicopter is called a rotor (the definition is unnecessarily restricted to the approximately horizontal plane, there is also a tail rotor in most designs that is approximately vertical), I think its fine.

I think that was already answered, at least for the hinges in this thread (but I think it was meant to generally apply), and it was also mentioned (specifically for rotors) in another one of the loading threads, where they showed a catapult and trebuchet

I've got an additional question about the science experiments... is there a limit to how many you can have active in a single biome generating science?

What is to stop me from just deploying a tone of the same experiments in the same biome? Within the same physics bubble?

I was thinking it could be fun-ish in early career to go set up arctic and antarctic weather stations, mountaintop and desert weather stations, etc.

But then I wondered... could I just spam 50 of them around KSC for super science intake + 100% recovery so they don't really cost anything?

Should there be/ is there a limit of like 1 type of experiment generating data per biome?

Edited by KerikBalm

42 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Are we able to set the rotors to freely rotate? Rather than powered rotation?

As that would be very useful for an autogyro.

Yes, one of the staff members already answered my question on this. You can 'free pivot/rotate' the robotic parts by disabling the motor inside them.

Now I make a jet powered propeller! Essentially just sticking tiny jet engines on the tip of the blades, for those wondering. Redundant? Yes. Necessary? No. Fun and in the fashion of KSP? Definitely. Hotel? Trivago. 

39 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I think that was already answered, at least for the hinges in this thread (but I think it was meant to generally apply), and it was also mentioned (specifically for rotors) in another one of the loading threads, where they showed a catapult and trebuchet

I've got an additional question about the science experiments... is there a limit to how many you can have active in a single biome generating science?

What is to stop me from just deploying a tone of the same experiments in the same biome? Within the same physics bubble?

I was thinking it could be fun-ish in early career to go set up arctic and antarctic weather stations, mountaintop and desert weather stations, etc.

But then I wondered... could I just spam 50 of them around KSC for super science intake + 100% recovery so they don't really cost anything?

Should there be/ is there a limit of like 1 type of experiment generating data per biome?

I think the science will follow the current model of, if it's been done, you can't do it anymore, just like any other science experiment. 

Edited by GoldForest

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I think the science will follow the current model of, if it's been done, you can't do it anymore, just like any other science experiment. 

But these experiments yield science over time... do you think there is a science pool that they exhaust, and then they stop producing science?

I expected them to act a bit like an MPL, and you can spam MPLs, but in that case you need trained scientist kerbals (which are rather expensive to spam buy)

Just now, KerikBalm said:

But these experiments yield science over time... do you think there is a science pool that they exhaust, and then they stop producing science?

I expected them to act a bit like an MPL, and you can spam MPLs, but in that case you need trained scientist kerbals (which are rather expensive to spam buy)

Oh, that's right. MMmmm, I think it's from a pool, yeah. each experiment has a certain amount of science it can produce. 

43 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

What is to stop me from just deploying a tone of the same experiments in the same biome?

Good point, I would like to believe its limited like a maximum pool of points per experiment in each biome as GoldForest suggests. Or in the case of new objects - Science per object (and possibly per biome as well, if for example "crystal formations" can be found in multiple biomes.)  

I play with Science payouts nerfed 40% in my Career, because after the MPL was overhauled to generate Science over time, Science points felt too easy to get. The expansion is adding a ton of new Science points, since so many new experiments are being added at once; but at the same time it may not feel like i'm 'cheating,' if some of the new experiments are in their own tech tree Science Nodes.  (...giving us more things to spend points on, such that adding more easily-obtained Science points stays in some kind of balance.)

I like the scaling of costs for recruiting Kerbals, it forces players to think more about Rescue contracts. Most of my career game's engineers and scientists come from Rescues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.