KSP Loading... Breaking Ground under the spotlight!

SQUAD

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

It's not attached to your spacecraft. It rides in the storage box and a Kerbal must deploy it (on the surface of a planet?) before it can be used to get power.

Awesome.

So to clarify, I want to confirm whether Breaking ground introduce two important aspect:

1. Hinges
  2. Surface-type building. Though officially only for experiments, I am wondering if it's also able to use these deployable RTG, Solar Panels, and communicators to make a base, possibly even to power up a lab that may have nothing but just the Lab module and control core.

3 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Awesome.

So to clarify, I want to confirm whether Breaking ground introduce two important aspect:

1. Hinges

Yes, and more (rotors and pistons)

3 hours ago, Jestersage said:
  1. Surface-type building. Though officially only for experiments, I am wondering if it's also able to use these deployable RTG, Solar Panels, and communicators to make a base, possibly even to power up a lab that may have nothing but just the Lab module and control core.

I hope so, that would be cool.

15 hours ago, Jestersage said:
  1. Surface-type building. Though officially only for experiments, I am wondering if it's also able to use these deployable RTG, Solar Panels, and communicators to make a base, possibly even to power up a lab that may have nothing but just the Lab module and control core.

Also if we were able to share power this way you could jump a dead rover or lander that broke its solar panels.

Come to think of it, seems like a nice use of our new containers could be spare solar panels and antennae for repairs in the near future?

Edited by Pthigrivi

45 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Also if we were able to share power this way you could jump a dead rover or lander that broke its solar panels.

Come to think of it, seems like a nice use of our new containers could be spare solar panels and antennae for repairs in the near future?

And if it doesn't work in Stock I'm hoping some modder will figure it out.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, Tweedler said:

I'm definitely going to be attempting a variable wing plane with those Alligator Hinges! F-14 here I come!

You might be better off using the rotational servo lol

So... haven't seen this asked so far but then again 6 pages in.

Will existing parts that have functions like the new robotic parts be able to be used in similar ways.

So say landing legs have a piston-like function already. some have a hinge-like function could I use Kal1000 to use those function to make a millipede style rover. 

Impressive

As someone who doesn't use parts mods as a general rule, these robotics parts seem particularly exciting for me and the path editior, from what it sounded like would overcome one of the biggest problems I encountered with the robotics mods the one time I tried using them.

As for the experiment station, I (unsuprisingly) was drawn to the impact detection feature. One idea I recall a while back was to simulate this kind of experiment (no "actual" science return, just a mission idea). Although my idea involved a series of modules around the body in question and an asteroid as an impactor.

Although I guess I won't make it to Duna on this save either. With all the changes and and my tendency to keep game saves only within the version they were started in. As an upside, I get to first experience Duna (or any body beyond near Kerbin space for that matter) with the new planetary features.

AviosAdku

one thing I'm not seeing asked is whether or not we can store sub assemblies into the storage container, like a folded up rover, and then set it on the ground without the kraken stepping in.

7 minutes ago, Deltac said:

one thing I'm not seeing asked is whether or not we can store sub assemblies into the storage container, like a folded up rover, and then set it on the ground without the kraken stepping in.

I don't think we'll be able to put more than one part in the container. I also think only surface parts can be put there (or otherwise you might be able to put the biggest tank in that small container. Stock TARDIS :)

tbh I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm concerned because landing gears, while better, still are pretty broken, and at least superficially the pistons I would guess operate with similar physics. I'm also a bit disappointed that the surface modules very likely can only make use of dedicated surface power generators, which kind of feels like a lost opportunity to use existing electrical parts.

11 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

<SNIP> I'm also a bit disappointed that the surface modules very likely can only make use of dedicated surface power generators, which kind of feels like a lost opportunity to use existing electrical parts.

My hope is that these new science parts are using config Modules and modders can add those Modules to other parts like ship components so that a ship could have a power transfer component to power the science modules. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

11 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

I'm also a bit disappointed that the surface modules very likely can only make use of dedicated surface power generators, which kind of feels like a lost opportunity to use existing electrical parts.

Indeed.  Though, I'm not surprised.  Squad is good at some things, gameplay design isn't always one of them.  I expect modders to fix these problems eminently.

11 hours ago, Tyko said:

My hope is that these new science parts are using config Modules and modders can add those Modules to other parts like ship components so that a ship could have a power transfer component to power the science modules. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

On the other hand, that how it would work in real life. Solar panel that you can attach to your craft probably just have a bunch of wires coming out of it that you have to connect to the internal electronics of the rocket. Surface solar panel has integrated controller, voltage regulator and probably a small battery and have easy to use plug outlet. 

Although I can image Kerbals would just tear off a panel from the rocket and try to connect it by smashing it into a device until it's powered. 

10 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

On the other hand, that how it would work in real life. Solar panel that you can attach to your craft probably just have a bunch of wires coming out of it that you have to connect to the internal electronics of the rocket. Surface solar panel has integrated controller, voltage regulator and probably a small battery and have easy to use plug outlet. 

Although I can image Kerbals would just tear off a panel from the rocket and try to connect it by smashing it into a device until it's powered. 

I agree with you 100%. I was thinking more in terms of a science rover or hopper with a dedicated part that represented those plugs / wireless power transmitters. I don't think any craft should be able to supply power for free, but no reason you couldn't have such a part that would add weight / volume to the craft but replace the surface power module.

Imagine a lander like the InSight lander that just went to Mars - it used a robotic arm to place several experiments on the ground.  This combines the two elements of the DLC - Robotics and placeable science experiments. With the new DLC capabilities and some modded science parts you could possibly replicate that type of mission now.

Edited by Tyko

14 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

Also agreed. And even from a gameplay standpoint if we could just use our lander why would we ever need the deployable power? I was thinking a good compromise would be to let vessels with an MPL attached be capable of serving local deployed experiments with power and control. Just some extra incentive to build ground science stations. 

10 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

if we could just use our lander why would we ever need the deployable power?

If we can leave with the experiment running, then a deployable power source makes sense.  I'm not sure how long these experiments are meant to run, but the seismometer seems like one you wouldn't want a crew too close to while actively running experiments.

Edit:
But that doesn't mean landers shouldn't be able to supply power.

Edited by razark

12 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Also agreed. And even from a gameplay standpoint if we could just use our lander why would we ever need the deployable power? I was thinking a good compromise would be to let vessels with an MPL attached be capable of serving local deployed experiments with power and control. Just some extra incentive to build ground science stations. 

This is a great idea  :)   Maybe get a bonus to scientist level too.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:32 PM, 5thHorseman said:

And if it doesn't work in Stock I'm hoping some modder will figure it out.

A modder "figured out"  years ago.  Kerbal Attachment System and Kerbal Inventory System.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, Phoenix84 said:

Ha, yes. If they called it "spin-o-matic" I wouldn't even care. :D

Silly names:

• Spin-o-matic
  • Spinny
  • Door (hinge)
  • Science blaster (sizemometer)
  • Watcher (goo watching monitor thing)
  • Thing-to-replace-putting-your-hand-out-the-window-to-check-the-weather machine (weather thing)
  • Antenna to put on the ground (ground antenna thing)
  • Ground radiation electricity machine (mini RTG)
  • Explosion machine (seismometer)

Lots of good stuff in this DLC!

Could I ask you to consider re-texturing the Duna meteorites? I believe there does not exist a single example of a meteorite having small impact craters. Such features would all be erased from ablation during the fall through the atmosphere. Right now, they look like miniature asteroids rather than meteorites. Unless it is supposed to be covered by red Duna dust, a more likely colour would be black.

Edited by norup

Hot darn! I will definitely get this DLC, and it might mark my return to this game. Finally something to do on planets other than professionally crashland your ship onto them.

Also, rotors, where have you been all these years! I can finally upgrade my VTOL heavy lifters now!

WOOP WOOP!

As a note, any chance of the featureset of the planets being expanded in the near future, beyond what's in the current update? More rocks, more notable objects, more canyons, and perhaps on kerbin some extra airports with added passenger and cargo missions?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.