Is there a way to get KSP free legally or at least, really cheap?

Hi everyone. I'm [snip] craving  KSP. So I did the obvious thing: I asked my parents. Fortunately, my birthday was only a couple of weeks away, and my mom, who was in a good mood, said yes and that she will consider it with dad.  After that, the days and weeks went away, and here came my birthday. Now, I wanted KSP more than ever. BUT my parents didn't buy me KSP. Or anything. I was pretty depressed. It wasn't like I didn't tell them. I told them what I wanted, and they said yes! Now it's been 3 weeks after my birthday, and I still crazily want KSP. FOr 3 weeks, I've read KSP tutorials, watched videos of KSP YouTubers like Scott Manley and researched where I can get KSP with discount. But one day, after I watched someone making cool stuff on youtube, I was tempted do it. I'm not proud of it, but I almost pirated KSP. I know, buying games support the devs, and Squad is a really small company and the devs don't get paid well. Still, the temptation of piracy was strong. I had one step left of doing it; I was in the piracy site, but fortunately, my heart beat the temptation, and I quickly closed the site.

So yeah, I'm pretty devastated. Recently, I asked my dad (seems like mom didn't even tell him about KSP!) to buy me KSP, but I really don't think he will buy me one. So now, I'm calling for help to you. assuming that you guys are mature grown-ups who legally purchased KSP,  probably you can give me advice. Like which site has big discounts, KSP giveaways or how to "not be tempted of piracy'. Please help me out of this situation. I really want KSP. I always thought space and planes are cool, and now, I want to work in NASA or related places as either mechanic or physicist. 

And I want to thank you for reading my probably poorly punctuated post and spending time on it.

Edit: I got KSP finally! My parents decided to give it to me after feeling sorry!

Thanks to everyone who supported me!!! 

Edited by Yeet_TheDinosaur
redacted by a moderator

Welcome to the forum @Yeet_TheDinosaur.

I am very happy you stopped yourself from downloading a pirated version of the game and I must remind you and anyone replying to this post that discussing software piracy is forbidden by rule 2.2a in the KSP forum community guidelines.

To get a cheaper copy of the game you can wait for a steam sale or ask your parents if they have some work for you around the house for which your payment would be a copy KSP (I would recommend waiting for May 30 before asking so you can get the much anticipated upcoming DLC 'Breaking Ground' as part of the deal).

1 hour ago, James Kerman said:

...ask your parents if they have some work for you around the house for which your payment would be a copy KSP (I would recommend waiting for May 30 before asking so you can get the much anticipated upcoming DLC 'Breaking Ground' as part of the deal).

This sounds like a good idea! You should go ahead and give it a try.

You could also emphasize how KSP is not only a game but also a huge learning opportunity. It will really teach you many things.

If your parents are okay with you playing games but cannot support your purchase for economic reasons, please get in touch with me via PM. I encourage anybody to play KSP who only has the faintest interest in engineering and space exploration - I know it changed my own life a lot - I would not hesitate to gift you a copy when I feel your request is sincere and your folks lack the funds.

Good luck

Daf

PS: lots of respect for not giving in to the temptation of piracy.

26 minutes ago, Dafni said:

If your parents are okay with you playing games but cannot support your purchase for economic reasons, please get in touch with me via PM. I encourage anybody to play KSP who only has the faintest interest in engineering and space exploration - I know it changed my own life a lot - I would not hesitate to gift you a copy when I feel your request is sincere and your folks lack the funds.

See. This is why this community is so awesome. @Dafni if OP PMs you and you feel the request is genuine then PM me and I'll chip in half (or equal share if others join in on this). 

3 hours ago, Dafni said:

This sounds like a good idea! You should go ahead and give it a try.

You could also emphasize how KSP is not only a game but also a huge learning opportunity. It will really teach you many things.

Good luck

Daf

PS: lots of respect for not giving in to the temptation of piracy.

Thanks for the advice! I will try it. 

But my parents are sort of anti-gaming for an unknown reason, and I did tell them that KSP is not just a game. But still, it wouldn't hurt to give it another go.

And thank you very much for the offer! I always heard that KSP community is awesome, but I didn't expect this. I can't tell you how happy I am.

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

See. This is why this community is so awesome. @Dafni if OP PMs you and you feel the request is genuine then PM me and I'll chip in half (or equal share if others join in on this). 

I agree that this community is awesome. Probably it is one of the best. 

Again, thank you for the offer. I feel much better that much better people like you guys are helping me. Thank you.

You are welcome @Yeet_TheDinosaur . KSP must be the most profitable investment I ever did, from a dollar to hours of fun ratio perspective, plus dollars to things learned ratio too. Wouldn't hesitate to spend the full price again to pass this experience on to somebody else. And the same goes for other members here too, obviously. @MiscelanousItem and @katateochi I have a feeling before the end of the day we'll be down to a dollar each :)  Let's see how this goes. Best would be if his parents understand and support the desire to immerse yourself into the wonderful world of KSP, spaceflight, exploration, engineering and all that. At the very least our offer shows how passionate we are about it all.

Good luck @Yeet_TheDinosaur and keep us updated. The offer stands and will not expire.

Cheers, and a good weekend to all of you!

There's also the demo which has a fair bit of replayability and would let you start applying some of the online tutorials right away while you wait for a sale or save up enough for the full version.

There's a new KSP expansion coming out at the end of the month and there's usually a bit Steam sale around this time of year, so you might not have to wait long to get a discount.

There were a few demo versions around, yes, the most recent being based on KSP 1.0. The 1.0 demo has a rather poor parts selection but with a bit of work you should still be able to land on the Mun. But it got removed from Steam and the KSP website around about the release of 1.3 and has not since been replaced. Softonic has the demo available, and they seem legitimate enough.

4 minutes ago, cantab said:

There were a few demo versions around, yes, the most recent being based on KSP 1.0. The 1.0 demo has a rather poor parts selection but with a bit of work you should still be able to land on the Mun. But it got removed from Steam and the KSP website around about the release of 1.3 and has not since been replaced. Softonic has the demo available, and they seem legitimate enough.

In my humble opinnion, KPS Demo still serves perfectly to its role. :)

Spoiler

:P 

It's possible to download it on Steam if you now how to handle the Steam Console.

Step by Step instructions here:

KSP is more of an educational game than a shallow game like, say, bejeweled or Klondike solitaire (not saying they're bad, just that you don't learn anything from them). I'd put KSP more on the same footing with an educational science lab toy, like this stuff: https://www.scientificsonline.com/shop/electric-kits?Page=1  Aerodynamics, orbital mechanics, and basic rocketry concepts are all present and you develop an understanding of them even if you're not intentionally studying them. True, it's to a fairly basic level, but it's still more than 99% of the population or even of what you'll learn in primary school. And it may inspire you to learn it more in depth.

This might be jumping on the bandwagon a tiny bit but all I've ever wanted was an Aston Martin Valkyrie. 

I asked my mum and dad - nope.

I asked my rich doctor brother - nope. 

I asked God - not got back to me yet. 

So, cos we are a lovely cuddly community, is there any chance a few members here would club together and buy me one? It would only be about £800,000 each if three of you clubbed together!

PULEEEEEEZE!

4 hours ago, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

But my parents are sort of anti-gaming for an unknown reason[.]

Puts on reasonable adult and parent hat... yeah I hate it.

Without knowing your folks, they are probably not anti-gaming; but more pro work, home-work, house-work, yard-work, school-work, <insert item>-work. They might be suggesting that you are spending too much time in front of a screen playing. Might be time  to try keeping a "gaming" diary, and you've got to keep it honestly. There is probably more "invisible" gaming going on then you think there is.

By the way just 'cause you're getting solid A's at school doesn't fly for me  for slacking on your homework and schoolwork. And house-work, just 'cause they do it now, well in about ten years or less you're going to have to start doing it. So that one flies even less well.

5 hours ago, steuben said:

Puts on reasonable adult and parent hat... yeah I hate it.

Without knowing your folks, they are probably not anti-gaming; but more pro work, home-work, house-work, yard-work, school-work, <insert item>-work. They might be suggesting that you are spending too much time in front of a screen playing. Might be time  to try keeping a "gaming" diary, and you've got to keep it honestly. There is probably more "invisible" gaming going on then you think there is.

By the way just 'cause you're getting solid A's at school doesn't fly for me  for slacking on your homework and schoolwork. And house-work, just 'cause they do it now, well in about ten years or less you're going to have to start doing it. So that one flies even less well.

Yeah, but it's kinda different from that. SO my parents will not let me play games UNTIL I finish my homework, study or be nice to people. If  I have a fight with my siblings, boom! No gaming this week! As the result of that policy, my average gaming time per week is ........ 1~2 hours. And that's when they're happy. When they're not happy, they make excuses like "It's too late", "Your brother didn't finish your homework" or even worse "Nope.", even though it's 9 or 10, ( I sleep at 11, 12), my brother can do it later or almost finished it and I'm pretty sure I did something good this week. So, probably instead of saying "stop playing games", I think they have the opinion that games are harmful (KSP is not just a game, and it's not harmful!). 

And thank you for the advice. I'll make sure that I wash the dishes, wash the car, do more homework, carry shopping bags and not bother them.

You know, KSP could probably teach him more than an entire year at school ever will... I would say, compared to learning science, work is the waste of time. :) It helps develop the mind, which is the single most important thing to have and keep sharp in the modern society.

Of course, it would help if KSP was better at teaching science. It does promote it, and it's quite good at it, but it does have shortcomings one needs to be aware of. That said, for a kid the fact that it forces you to think is probably the most important.

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

In my humble opinnion, KPS Demo still serves perfectly to its role. :)

Reveal hidden contents

:P 

It's possible to download it on Steam if you now how to handle the Steam Console.

Step by Step instructions here:

Thank you for the instructions, but I actually got KSP demo (legally of course ^.^). But the problem is that more I play the demo, the more I want KSP. SO, yeah, just waiting for the sale

14 hours ago, katateochi said:

Add me to the list of supporters

11 hours ago, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

But my parents are sort of anti-gaming for an unknown reason, and I did tell them that KSP is not just a game. But still, it wouldn't hurt to give it another go.

And thank you very much for the offer! I always heard that KSP community is awesome, but I didn't expect this. I can't tell you how happy I am.

I'll go a step further.  If you would like me to call your parents and talk to them, or have them call me, PM me about it.  For reference, I'm in New Jersey, do US Eastern time zone.

Regarding the no gaming attitude, it's not unreasonable given how addictive the can be.

One more thing.  I stream KSP on Twitch every Sunday and Monday evenings.  If uncomfortable with a call, they can connect with me on Twitch, I'd love to chat with them while doing a mission or working on a mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

15 hours ago, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

As a parent, I can say that you have to look at it from their perspective. Gaming often gets lumped into one massive category. I was also cautious about purchasing 'certain titles' for my young ones. Please understand that.

Explain to them that this is basically a physics-simulating lego set. Take the academic aspect, and sell it that way.

Explain to them that some on this board, like myself, are older than they are (possibly 2×) and have backgrounds in mathematics, science, engineering, etc.

Good luck!

Look, there are three ways this goes...

1. This is some 40 year old bloke who posts on forums begging for free games by pretending to be a child.

2. Its some youth whose parents sensibly don't want him spending yet another summer playing video games instead of getting out in the fresh air. 

3. You buy him the game and he tells his parents about a nice group of men he has met on the internet who like him and have sent him a present. 

None of these are good.