Is there a way to get KSP free legally or at least, really cheap?

9 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Hmm, valid points indeed.

Why??? Please Daf.

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

Look, there are three ways this goes...

1. This is some 40 year old bloke who posts on forums begging for free games by pretending to be a child.

2. Its some youth whose parents sensibly don't want him spending yet another summer playing video games instead of getting out in the fresh air. 

3. You buy him the game and he tells his parents about a nice group of men he has met on the internet who like him and have sent him a present. 

None of these are good. 

You have a point @Foxster.

Sorry @Yeet_TheDinosaur but........

Edited by Nigel J. Cardozo

I'll repeat my offer here @Yeet_TheDinosaur

You can present it to your parent as someone who streams the game and is willing to talk to anyone about anything related to the game.  This way I'm not just some "random man on the internet", I have a reputation as a modder and a streamer, and they can read about me from whereever they want.

I'll also point out that you can go to SpaceDock and get a list of 30 mods (it stops at 30) which I both wrote and adopted.

The points raised above are very valid, unfortunately

...and I think the best option is to do no such thing. 

A child contacting an adult they met on the internet to give them something is never going to be a good thing. 

At the best it is going against the parents' wishes by giving him something his parents have already said no to. At worst it is teaching a child it is OK to make personal contact with a stranger on the internet and accept gifts from them.  

Time this thread was closed. 

Edited by Foxster

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You can present it to your parent as someone who streams the game and is willing to talk to anyone about anything related to the game.

Suggested emphasis to avoid getting misconstrued...

Good luck, Yeet. There are far worse things to waste your time on than KSP, as long as you work in plenty of fresh air and exercise.

7 minutes ago, Foxster said:

...and I think the best option is to do no such such. 

A child contacting an adult they met on the internet to give them something is never going to be a good thing. 

At the best it is going against the parents' wishes by giving him something his parents have already said no to. At worst it is teaching a child it is OK to make personal contact with a stranger on the internet and accept gifts from them.  

True

Get it on Steam. It’s really cheap, for a game that has that much to offer.

Or be a bit patient and keep your eyes open, it’s regularly on sale on Steam with steep (50%) discounts.

Guys, the generosity of these forums always makes me smile, although after 6+ years here, I don't know why I'm still surprised.  Our love of this game, and science in general and the willingness to share that enthusiasm is what makes this place great. 

But that said, I would like to ask everybody hold off on doing anything for a bit.  It's still early on a Saturday, and most of our senior moderators aren't on right now (don't worry, us rookies got the wheel ;) ), so we're bumping this up the chain to see what the moderators and possibly Squad/TTi/PD have to say.   Squad may have to nix this, or allow it, or not even get involved.  

So, until we can get some official word, let's not be taking sides in what could be a pointless argument. 

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Guys, the generosity of these forums always makes me smile, although after 6+ years here, I don't know why I'm still surprised.  Our love of this game, and science in general and the willingness to share that enthusiasm is what makes this place great. 

But that said, I would like to ask everybody hold off on doing anything for a bit.  It's still early on a Saturday, and most of our senior moderators aren't on right now (don't worry, us rookies got the wheel ;) ), so we're bumping this up the chain to see what the moderators and possibly Squad/TTi/PD have to say.   Squad may have to nix this, or allow it, or not even get involved.  

So, until we can get some official word, let's not be taking sides in what could be a pointless argument. 

Ok sorry for any trouble.

I have read this thread with great interest. As Garamel said I'm impressed by the generosity of forum users too, if only about the long explanations about anything which has to do with KSP.

I agree that it's not a good idea to just give yeet_thedinosaur a copy...but I didn't see mentioned that he can show his parents this thread..and let them read a bit more on this forum. Maybe be impressed even by the way forum users (and moderators!) keep the KSP forum a great and friendly place. That way his parents might change their minds... can backfire though seeing the OP.

Edited by Epicdreamer
Textual

5 hours ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Why??? Please Daf.

You have a point @Foxster.

Sorry @Yeet_TheDinosaur but........

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

There are much worse things than getting scolded.

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Would you care to expound on that?  I'm not quite sure what you meant with "no".

3 hours ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

@linuxgurugamer /\ please.

We don't know why his parents are not allowing him to play kerbal. Their must be a reason so please do not do this.

3 hours ago, Foxster said:

...and I think the best option is to do no such thing. 

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Ok, everyone. I think I didn't clearly clarify my situation. So here goes a fact check

1. I want KSP

2. I asked my parents and they said yes 

3. They didn't get me KSP

4. I asked my dad

5. He seems like he's still considering or forgotten it

So, yeah. I still don't know my mom didn't get me KSP. And I agree with many people here, who thought this would not end up good, especially me. Thank you for concerning for me, but I don't really think I would get in trouble with my parents. It is true that parents would not be happy that they got a game off the internet, but I'm also sure that I can talk that out. I can show them this thread, or just remind them KSP is not a game, but a highly scientific simulator. And the most likely reason that they didn't buy me KSP is that a. they don't wanna spend money on a game

b. they don't really think I want KSP cause I didn't say anything about not getting one

For me, I think it's b. This is not the first time I wanted something for my birthday, and it changes every year. So probably my parents didn't want to spend $AUS 50 on a game. Also, I didn't say anything about not getting KSP, because I thought it was a mistake, and I'm a pretty nervous and a shy person. It took me almost 2 weeks for me to prepare to ask my mom about KSP. 

And everyone who showed their will to help me buy KSP, thank you. I will ask my parents for the last time, then probably tell them about your offer.

Have a nice Sunday

^.^

This whole thread is weird, and the more enthusiastic it gets about strangers going behind the parents' backs to buy the kid a game the weirder it gets. Step back for a moment and think, will ye? If the kid isn't old enough to buy his own games and the parents, for whatever reasons (which we, and the kid, are not privy to, assuming any of this is true), then exactly how acceptable do you think they'd find it if some strange bloke went over their head about it? It's not like it's even a particularly moving sob story or something, they just didn't get what they wanted for their birthday.

And that's just buying the thing. If my hypothetical child came along and said some random grown-ass man wants to talk to me to gush about a cartoony rocket simulator in the hopes I'd buy it for the child they don't know, my first response would probably not be particularly welcoming, to say the least.

Kids beg for free stuff their parents won't buy them on the internet all the time. At no point has it ever been a good idea to indulge them, no matter how big a "favour" you think you're doing. The kid will be just fine without ksp for another week or two, mind yourselves.

52 minutes ago, Loskene said:

This whole thread is weird, and the more enthusiastic it gets about strangers going behind the parents' backs to buy the kid a game the weirder it gets. 

There are more than one way of seeing such things.

Links to PT_Br links, as these are the ones I can investigate if someone challenges it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIKO-uDjH6v9SgH9zw0Y3

https://www.google.com/search?q=campanha+doação+brinquedos+pedagógicos&safe=on

36 minutes ago, Lisias said:

There are more than one way of seeing such things.

Links to PT_Br links, as these are the ones I can investigate if someone challenges it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=campanha+doação+brinquedos+pedagógicos&safe=on

I don't see what this has to do with the point at hand. Donating toys to kids whose families can't afford them is not the same as buying a toy for a kid specifically because their parents refused. First you're undermining the parents' authority, second opening the child to predation from people who would use gift giving as a means of access and dependency, third what is the kid going to do next time they want something? Even in an ideal world this is still a problematic situation, and we don't live in an ideal world. Best move is to just steer clear.

44 minutes ago, Loskene said:

I don't see what this has to do with the point at hand. Donating toys to kids whose families can't afford them is not the same as buying a toy for a kid specifically because their parents refused. 

The parents didn't refused. I understand the thread became somewhat messy, but you allowed some details to pass through.

The first offer conditioned it be be acceptable by his parents.

Spoiler

Then, realizing that only relying on the kid ir would not be the best of the ideas, some other had offered themselves to be contacted directly by his/her parents.

Spoiler

In a way or another, your worries were previously been addressed and acknowledged:

Spoiler

SO… The only offers still around are the ones conditioned to being contacted by the kid's parents, in order to give a try on why this game is different, and why this could be indeed a good idea - allowing the kid to play with KSP as a learning tool.

Spoiler

And since the Moderation already had manifested themselves on the subject, without locking up or addressing the behaviour above mentioned in a negative way - but enforcing the problems already mentioned, and that you repeated later:

Spoiler

I think that it's more than reasonable to conclude that your objection was about the donation itself:

2 hours ago, Loskene said:

If my hypothetical child came along and said some random grown-ass man wants to talk to me to gush about a cartoony rocket simulator in the hopes I'd buy it for the child they don't know, my first response would probably not be particularly welcoming, to say the least.

Kids beg for free stuff their parents won't buy them on the internet all the time. At no point has it ever been a good idea to indulge them, no matter how big a "favour" you think you're doing. The kid will be just fine without ksp for another week or two, mind yourselves.

And so my argument is that, YES, SOMETIMES IT`S REASONABLE TO REACH THE KID`S PARENTS in order to offer a educational toy that would be beneficial to him/her.

To tell you the true, there're a lot of lobby where I live to do exactly that: promote kid's intelectual evolution by reaching their parents somehow and talk about.

So, see. I'm not counter-argumenting the risks you propsed by a bunch of old farts reaching a kid offering "toys". I'm counter arguing that such risks were already been addressed, and now what remains to be (or not!) done is talking to the kid's parents.

My original argument that you missed is that no, it's not always bad to give toys for free for some kids, and that reaching the parents can be a proper way to secure the proper permissions to do so.

There're no guarantees, of course. The parents have the final word, and any insistence on the matter can be considered harassment - so yeah, proper cautions are due.

But, and this is where I strongly disagree with you, this is not necessarily bad. It can be good - if done the right way.

The links I suggested to support my argument is how we do things around here as an evidence that, yes, this can be done and this can be good.

I'd advise to wait for a Steam sale or discount, don't do the risky option of downloading a pirated version (that's kinda illegal).

Other than that there isn't any other way to get the game cheaply, let alone for free

11 hours ago, Loskene said:

Yeah... nah. You've reached so far you've gone all the way around the world to pat yourself on the back. This ain't it, chief.

You are the one patting me in the back, dude.

People don't bother demoting irrelevant things. :D

That said, let's agree on ignore each other. I expect it to be very easy on you.