Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Official Gameplay Trailer

St4rdust

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

Why is a telescopic piston with a hinge on it not good enough? Does the exact same thing doesn’t it?

It isn't really telescopic, it's quite bulky (including the smaller version), the reason it isn't good enough is due to the wobble of the piston, convenience (easy movement placement, and creation.) and a few more. But yes it does do the same thing.

7 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Why is a telescopic piston with a hinge on it not good enough? Does the exact same thing doesn’t it?

But the bar would always be the same length, unlike the piston which expands and contracts.

This means the bars could be used as beams or a part of a structural frame, with the added function of having a moving thingy .  Think overhead 'beam' cranes if horizontal and lifts if vertcal.

17 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Hey, when can Xbox players expect this dlc to come out. I am anxious to get this info because I want to get this new dlc.

The first DLC - Making History - never came out on console. They did repackage and release parts of it about a year after it was released on PC. It's a sample size of 1 though, so they could do things differently this time. The console versions of the game are developed by a different company and don't mirror features of the PC version exactly.

50 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

Compatible with RSS?

Ask in the RSS thread after it comes out. Squad doesn’t test mods when designing their own stuff. While they try to keep their own changes from massively impacting the mod community, they definitely don’t test any mods while working on official stuff.

10 hours ago, pandaman said:

But the bar would always be the same length, unlike the piston which expands and contracts.

This means the bars could be used as beams or a part of a structural frame, with the added function of having a moving thingy .  Think overhead 'beam' cranes if horizontal and lifts if vertcal.

You could fake it with two opposed pistons: one expands while the other contracts, with the load in between. A sliding rail does let you translate pretty much end to end, whereas a piston has a lot of dead length, so a true rail would still be better for a lot of applications. 

5 minutes ago, dmsilev said:

You could fake it with two opposed pistons: one expands while the other contracts, with the load in between. A sliding rail does let you translate pretty much end to end, whereas a piston has a lot of dead length, so a true rail would still be better for a lot of applications. 

You could eliminate dead length by mounting a piston on a piston and rotating it 180 degrees. 

1 hour ago, _stilgar_ said:

You could eliminate dead length by mounting a piston on a piston and rotating it 180 degrees. 

You mean something like this?

*------====== 
            |  
=======------ 
            *======  
            |   
=======------
*======
      |
=======

where the load is the *,  and the cylinder of piston 1 attaches to the base of 2. That allows the load to reach anywhere along 2's length, but it has the limitation that the total length of the construct changes depending on where you want the load. 

1 hour ago, _stilgar_ said:

Still all these solutions have the same problem of having joints where a single rail part does not, introducing a certain amount of wobblyness to any design, which will be bad for things like A-frame cranes. A single rail part with a configurable length would be ideal.

Compactness is another advantage, I'd like to use a 2-axis rail crane with a piston on the end to pick up rovers and payloads and lift them into cargo bays without having to line them up perfectly on the ground. Like an arcade claw machine inside the belly of an airplane.

Edited by Loskene

3 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Ask in the RSS thread after it comes out. Squad doesn’t test mods when designing their own stuff. While they try to keep their own changes from massively impacting the mod community, they definitely don’t test any mods while working on official stuff.

Ok, I'll try.

1 hour ago, dmsilev said:

You mean something like this?

*------====== 
            |  
=======------ 
            *======  
            |   
=======------
*======
      |
=======

where the load is the *,  and the cylinder of piston 1 attaches to the base of 2. That allows the load to reach anywhere along 2's length, but it has the limitation that the total length of the construct changes depending on where you want the load. 

Yes, exactly. 

1 hour ago, Loskene said:

Still all these solutions have the same problem of having joints where a single rail part does not, introducing a certain amount of wobblyness to any design, which will be bad for things like A-frame cranes. A single rail part with a configurable length would be ideal.

Compactness is another advantage, I'd like to use a 2-axis rail crane with a piston on the end to pick up rovers and payloads and lift them into cargo bays without having to line them up perfectly on the ground. Like an arcade claw machine inside the belly of an airplane.

Yes, single part would be better. I'm just saying that in case we don't have that rail in the DLC (or in future update), we can work around it. 

11 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Thank you for informing me that ALL console players are getting completely screwed from their hard earned money, I am fed up with Squad/ blitworks giving us the cold shoulder. 

What money are you being screwed from? In the context of this DLC, we all have to pay for it (barring pre-2013 players).

12 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Thank you for informing me that ALL console players are getting completely screwed from their hard earned money, I am fed up with Squad/ blitworks giving us the cold shoulder. 

Squad is giving no one the cold shoulder. You should be thankful they even let a console version be made. You'll get the update soon enough, but consoles aren't Squad's main concern, the PC is. The people who make the console version probably make or maintain other games. It takes time to do stuff. It took forever for Minecraft Console version to catch up to the Java version, I imagine it is the same problem with the Console version of KSP. Also, if you want to blame any one for the wait time, blame Sony and Microsoft. They put any update through a very lengthy certification process. If they don't like anything, they don't accept the update, the company has to change the update to make Sony/Microsoft happy, and then the lengthy certification process starts ALL over. Really! It can take literal months, and I'm not talking one or two, or even three months, for the process to be complete or for them to reject the update. So yeah, Squad/Blitworks is not who you should be directing your anger at, it's the company who owns your Xbox or PlayStation.

Anyway, just calm down. If you want the DLC that bad, get a PC. You can buy a PC for as cheap or sometimes cheaper than a console.  

Edited by GoldForest

15 hours ago, Mikenike said:

As a PC players we have had many craptastic console ports. And have to wait for some great games as well, like RDR2, spiderman, etc. So your rant warms my heart.

17 hours ago, Mikenike said:

It is a bummer and I’m sorry you guys will have a bit more wait.  I’m a Mac user so I can sympathize. I’ve been waiting on a Frostpunk port that’s overdue on its release by 4 months. At least we know the Breaking Ground port will come for you guys, just not for a little while longer. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

6 hours ago, T1mo98 said:
5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Squad is giving no one the cold shoulder. You should be thankful they even let a console version be made. You'll get the update soon enough, but consoles aren't Squad's main concern, the PC is. The people who make the console version probably make or maintain other games. It takes time to do stuff. It took forever for Minecraft Console version to catch up to the Java version, I imagine it is the same problem with the Console version of KSP. Also, if you want to blame any one for the wait time, blame Sony and Microsoft. They put any update through a very lengthy certification process. If they don't like anything, they don't accept the update, the company has to change the update to make Sony/Microsoft happy, and then the lengthy certification process starts ALL over. Really! It can take literal months, and I'm not talking one or two, or even three months, for the process to be complete or for them to reject the update. So yeah, Squad/Blitworks is not who you should be directing your anger at, it's the company who owns your Xbox or PlayStation.

Anyway, just calm down. If you want the DLC that bad, get a PC. You can buy a PC for as cheap or sometimes cheaper than a console.  

What money are you being screwed from? In the context of this DLC, we all have to pay for it (barring pre-2013 players).

You are right in some cases, for the PC. But if I am gonna spend my money on a PC I will spend top dollar so I  can play other games, and not just KSP.

If SQUAD were smart they would start the process earlier, say a month into the project so it has time to go through this process that Microsoft and Sony have so the DLC gets out a little earlier than the MAYBE later 2020 that people have been saying. 

The fact that SQUAD re-released the DLCs and we didn't get the plethora of stuff like Pc players did. And we payed full price for a smaller amount.

41 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

You are right in some cases, for the PC. But if I am gonna spend my money on a PC I will spend top dollar so I  can play other games, and not just KSP.

If SQUAD were smart they would start the process earlier, say a month into the project so it has time to go through this process that Microsoft and Sony have so the DLC gets out a little earlier than the MAYBE later 2020 that people have been saying. 

The fact that SQUAD re-released the DLCs and we didn't get the plethora of stuff like Pc players did. And we payed full price for a smaller amount.

Squad can't start the process until the content is made. And it's not squad, it's Blitworks. And like I said, they have to send them the ENTIRE update. They can't send a incomplete update. Microsoft and Sony won't accept it anyway. So again, please stop talking about Squad like it's their fault, it's not. 

As for content, that's the console's fault. Consoles cant handle some of the stuff the PC version has. Like the mission builder as mentioned.

There's a whole lot more going on behind the scenes than you think.

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yes, it's for all PCs. (The distinction that's always made between a PC and a Mac confuses me...they're both Personal Computers :P)

I think it has to do with those PC vs Mac commercials back in the day. Basically Apple and Micorsoft pitting computer people against each other, at least imo.