[video] Kerbals go Clubbing (nightclub, now with rockets)

katateochi

After putting some lights on a rocket and finding it transform into a disco I thought hmmm Kerbals need to let loose from time to time, so I made them a club (its jumpin' but it doesn't fly).

(although v simple, this one gains from being viewed in HD)

Like all good nights out; there are some passed out on the floor, someone falls of something and some get close.

(this really truly is the first KSP video which I've made which had no Kerbal casualties!! I think I should put rockets on it and launch it once the party starts, like the flying party from the hitch-hikers guide.)

PART TWO - Clubbing on Mun!

The club is now on Mun. I've done a vid showing the two flights out and the party. Its as much about the music so crank that volume!

The artist is Syntex, check out his other stuff on http://soundcloud.com/syntex-1

The two tracks in this where Northern Ambitions and Purple Moon

I'd not heard this artist until yesterday when I was looking for something for this vid. The tracks just totally changed what I'd originally planned and had such perfectly placed drops and breaks to fit the different sequences to. There are even some samples which echo sounds from the EVA packs and the boosters as the club ejects its engines, a great coincidence!

-----UPDATE-----

AZBgkl.jpg

tYdVPl.jpg

upper engines take fuel from the main (lower) tanks until in orbit.

DqCUNl.jpg

Having kerbals on the dance floor during flight is actually possible!!! But only with EVA ladders and only into orbit (can't timewarp and I don't really want to fly a realtime mission!). They slip off after a while too, have to keep faffing with them, just like trying to herd a bunch of drunks. So others will have to be brought separately.

(you can see Bill clinging on for dear life in the two below).

t8hwQl.jpg

adXjLl.jpg

The club has landed....

e9rPZl.jpg

cWedzl.jpg

Needs further work (and a shuttle for the punters).

---2nd Update----

UqI2cl.jpg

pleQbl.jpg

And they partied till the sun came up;

rCM1Pl.jpg

Some (still) don't know what too much is;

KQjQvl.jpg

And eventually all (except one) passed out below, too drunk to make the short stagger back to bed.

ozictl.jpg

When I get a bit more time I'll put up a video of the party on Mun and these two daft vessels' trip out there. Done!

Edited by katateochi
Uploaded new video

That is delightful. I like how the one falls off the platform towards the end.

hehe glad you liked it. There are a couple which tottered over the edge, you should have seen them getting up there, some had obviously been drinking hard.

someone needs to get this to mun

Is that with them still dancing on top during flight, lol that would be great to see. I think it might work a load better on mun, what with the lower gravity but mostly I think it will be less laggy so might be able to get some more on the dance floor. about 14 seems to be the limit, then lag suddenly kicks in.

Isn't it cool how a sandbox intended for rocket construction can be used like this, KSP is awesome (and very bad for work).

Can we have the craft file PRETTY PLEASE!?

sure thing, I'll upload it when back home after work. The craft itself is really simple and just uses [DamnedRobotics, AviationsLight pack, C7flightpack].

The time consuming bit was getting all the Kerbals ready (u know how some people just make the whole group wait). I made a bus (in another project which got cancelled due to lag) to bring 25 Kerbals over to whatever horrible experiment / nice adventure I had in store for them so that helped. You might have caught a glimpse of it parked below the club. club also has a lift to raise a bunch up at a time. Once you quick-save and quick-load you can't get any more up because the hinges mess-up on reload (DR bug). I wanted to get all 25 up there, but it started to get laggy after 14/15.

I'll make the bus craftfile and persistence file with the loaded bus available too, just need to check what mods I used in it.

I think if I can park it on Mun it might be less laggy, will need to make the bus fly too. Clubbing on a moon, flying buses?! Its really going to seem like a trip!

Edited by katateochi

soz, forgot about uploading this. Here's the craft file; http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32497&stc=1&d=1346787970.

You need DamnedRobotics and the AviationLights pack as well as the c7 flight pack(V2-15) (I think that's all). oh also the Probodobodyne Construction Kit

(I've also put the bus and save file with loaded bus. - I think that just needs the crewtank damnedR and crabwheel

Controls:

1,2,3 make the floor move, 1 and 2 move different sections up while 3 brings all sections down (jump up, jump up and get down)

4/5 make the lights spin. o and p switch the lights on. should be two taps of each to get the right mode, but I find its more a case of mash o and p till it works (shouting helps too).

7/8 raise/lower tail-gate on lift and 9/0 works the lift (there is an EVA ladder to get off the lift at the top).

Kerbals behave like complete drunks on the lift, falling this way and that. Once you quickload the lift will not work.

(erm, only just noticed this, there is a rather unfortunate symbol which has occurred purely by geometric chance in the clubs base, sorry, it was not intentional!!)

Right I'm going to try to strap some rockets to this and get clubMun up and running. I have a feeling thou that this mission is just going to be Kracken fodder.

someone needs to get this to mun
This is just too cool..

And I second getting it to the Mun

It is done, ClubJeb is now ClubMun. I've added pics in the initial post.

I second, third, or whatever the idea of sending it to the Mun.

As an extra challenge: get the Kerbonauts to stay on it for the entire ride.

Well I tried. Not surprisingly asking anything to stand on a shaking platform while it accelerates to several km/s is going to be tricky and about 12 kerbals died in a horrific and completely avoidable but entertaining experiment. I then added EVA ladders and found that they could cling on all the way up into orbit, the problem came with timewarp thou. It's possible if you can be bothered to fly a real time mission. I pass!

That is so awesome. So many creative people in the community. Squad must be so happy to release early and build a community around the game.

(erm, only just noticed this, there is a rather unfortunate symbol which has occurred purely by geometric chance in the clubs base, sorry, it was not intentional!!)

I havn't seen it but i'm certain what it is. Note that there was a time that it symbolised something quite different. Besides, in the world of Kerbal it means nothing right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.