Reducing data > science conversion rate in Mobile Processing Lab

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to reduce the science output from data in the mobile processing lab? As far as I understand it, every 1 unit of data generates 5 science, and I would like to reduce this to 1:1 or at most 1:2. I'm fine with the time needed to process the data, and I even like the modifiers applied to data generation which mean that you could generate more data when processing it in a lab than bringing it home, but I'd like to cap the increase so it's a moderate improvement over shipping the data home rather than something that makes me swim in science. Is there a mod to do this, or an easy way to edit the game files?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, GP_LeChuck said:

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to reduce the science output from data in the mobile processing lab? As far as I understand it, every 1 unit of data generates 5 science, and I would like to reduce this to 1:1 or at most 1:2. I'm fine with the time needed to process the data, and I even like the modifiers applied to data generation which mean that you could generate more data when processing it in a lab than bringing it home, but I'd like to cap the increase so it's a moderate improvement over shipping the data home rather than something that makes me swim in science. Is there a mod to do this, or an easy way to edit the game files?

Thanks!

*edit look @4x4cheesecake for the correct answer .

Some ideas but not really what you asked for:

1)You can reduce the Science Rewards from the Difficulty Options while ingame(if you feel science is too easy to come by), although that will affect every part of the science collected.

2)You can have only one scientist in the lab so you kinda need more time and balance it in some way.

Edited by Boyster

Welcome to the forum @GP_LeChuck :)

This can be done by editing the config file of the science lab or, if you don't mind to install ModuleManager, with a ModuleManager patch.

The config file can be found here:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Science\LargeCrewedLab\largeCrewedLab.cfg

Open the file in a texteditor, and look for:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceConverter
		dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
		scientistBonus = 0.25	//Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
		researchTime = 7	    //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
		scienceMultiplier = 5	//How much science does data turn into?
		scienceCap = 500	    //How much science can we store before having to transmit?		
		powerRequirement = 5	//EC/Sec to research
		ConverterName = #autoLOC_502055 //#autoLOC_502055 = Research
		StartActionName = #autoLOC_502056 //#autoLOC_502056 = Start Research
		StopActionName = #autoLOC_502057 //#autoLOC_502057 = Stop Research
	}

The comments (everything after //) already tell you, that "scienceMultiplier" need to be changed to a lower value, like 1 or 2 like you've suggested.

If you prefer a ModuleManager patch, try this one:

@PART[Large_Crewed_Lab]:AFTER[Squad]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleScienceConverter]
	{
		@scienceMultiplier = 1	//How much science does data turn into?
	}
}

Just copy&paste the patch into a textfile, name it however you like but put the .cfg file extension on it. Then, put the textfile somewhere in the "GameData" directory of your game (you can create a folder there as well, that's no problem :))

Edited by 4x4cheesecake
Added link to ModuleManager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.