No attachment nodes on top or bottom of part

So i'm using a fairly modded install; and i'm not sure what the "Default" behavior of this part is supposed to be. So if it's never had nodes on the top or bottom then that's cool. 

The part in question is the "Glenn Leg mount" which does have attachment nodes for the legs that become visible upon selecting a glenn leg; but no top or bottom nodes to mount tanks, engines, etc. So if it's not a mod conflict or a borked install (Which it very well could be both); would there be a easy way to add attachment nodes?

10 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

These are surface attached parts and don't provide a top or bottom attachment node. You need to put them on a 2.5m or 3.75m tank (or any other cylindrical part) and they will align perfectly :)

PaFyItU.png

iv'e been able to attach tanks on the side nodes but they never fit perfectly without some adjustment; regardless thanks for confirming that this was intended.

8 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

iv'e been able to attach tanks on the side nodes but they never fit perfectly without some adjustment; regardless thanks for confirming that this was intended.

Did you tried it with parts of the 2.5m and 3.75m diameter? There is indeed a misalignment on other parts.

Well, you still try to add a top and bottom node via ModuleManager though but I I cannot tell you how exactly this can be done. Maybe ask in the mod thread or in the general modding forum :)

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Did you tried it with parts of the 2.5m and 3.75m diameter? There is indeed a misalignment on other parts.

Well, you still try to add a top and bottom node via ModuleManager though but I I cannot tell you how exactly this can be done. Maybe ask in the mod thread or in the general modding forum :)

2.5 seems to work the best; 3.75 is a bit snug lul.

Also i will; should be a fun little experiment. 

I've had the same thought, so I tossed together a small patch that I will be integrating into SN once I update for affecting other mods. (With a B9 Switch)

I added a top and bottom node, both at the same location inside the mount.  That way the two pieces you put on the top and bottom are still touching.

Note that I have no idea what this will do to drag since the game won't actually see the two pieces touching.  This is probably why the creator went with surface attachment.

Patch in the spoiler.  This does not disable the surfaceattach ability, so you'll need to hold the mod key to temporarily disable surface attach when using the nodes. (Unless you're attaching something to the mount)

Spoiler

//To change the height of the nodes, modify the -1.6 value.  This is the distance from the top.

@PART[KRE-HexLegsMount*]:NEEDS[KerbalReusabilityExpansion]:FINAL
{
    node_stack_top = 0, -1.6, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2
    node_stack_bottom = 0, -1.6, 0, 0, -1, 0, 2
    @attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
}

96ascreenshot15.png

27 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I've had the same thought, so I tossed together a small patch that I will be integrating into SN once I update for affecting other mods. (With a B9 Switch)

I added a top and bottom node, both at the same location inside the mount.  That way the two pieces you put on the top and bottom are still touching.

Note that I have no idea what this will do to drag since the game won't actually see the two pieces touching.  This is probably why the creator went with surface attachment.

Patch in the spoiler.  This does not disable the surfaceattach ability, so you'll need to hold the mod key to temporarily disable surface attach when using the nodes. (Unless you're attaching something to the mount)

Hide contents

//To change the height of the nodes, modify the -1.6 value.  This is the distance from the top.

{
    node_stack_top = 0, -1.6, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2
    node_stack_bottom = 0, -1.6, 0, 0, -1, 0, 2
    @attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
}

96ascreenshot15.png

Hmm; interesting. And i don't use stock aero (FAR was one of the first mods i installed lul) so i'm pretty sure it won't be an issue for me unless i'm mistaken on how FAR handles it's drag calculations.

25 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Hmm; interesting. And i don't use stock aero (FAR was one of the first mods i installed lul) so i'm pretty sure it won't be an issue for me unless i'm mistaken on how FAR handles it's drag calculations.

I have no idea, I've never used FAR.  Let me know what you find!

Alright; new issue. The patch works to add the top and bottom nodes; and i'm able to tweak the offsets to position them where i want.

Spoiler

https://imgur.com/a/F8YxbTK  -Nodes

https://imgur.com/a/mPhhe0Y - Attached parts lose their nodes

However when i attach a tank or any other part; the node that should still be exposed on the attached part vanishes.

I was holding down the mod key so i don't think it's due to surface attachment ; and the attachment rules look alright. 

Just for good measure here's my slightly edited patch (Basically CTRL+V'd from yours)

Spoiler

{
    node_stack_top = 0, .1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2
    node_stack_bottom = 0, -2, 0, 0, -1, 0, 2
    @attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
}

You can't see the bottom node after you attach the tank because you're not looking at it from the bottom.  If you grab the engine and moved it in to the mount, it'll grab the bottom node.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:04 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

So i'm using a fairly modded install; and i'm not sure what the "Default" behavior of this part is supposed to be. So if it's never had nodes on the top or bottom then that's cool. 

The part in question is the "Glenn Leg mount" which does have attachment nodes for the legs that become visible upon selecting a glenn leg; but no top or bottom nodes to mount tanks, engines, etc. So if it's not a mod conflict or a borked install (Which it very well could be both); would there be a easy way to add attachment nodes?

I also have KRE, I don't think there are attatchment nodes on the mount. I just get a tank, the leg mount on the side as if I were to attach it radially and then offset it to the centre of the tank. Hope this helped!

13 hours ago, Geonovast said:

You can't see the bottom node after you attach the tank because you're not looking at it from the bottom.  If you grab the engine and moved it in to the mount, it'll grab the bottom node.

Wow.....

I can't believe i didn't realize that before; thanks for being patient with my derpyness. xD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.