How many Users do you Ignore?

klesh

I have 0 users ignored. I am quite carefull not to bombshell certain discussions with my own stupidity.

That may help alot. :D 

Some threads i simply ignore and i don`t care much what the matter is.

• 1 month later...

(Bringing back this thread :P)

I have a few people on my ignore list, for different reasons. Naming no names, but they’re there if:

- they’re the kind of people who I don’t want to get into an argument with.

- they just generally irk me, or are annoying. 

It’s not many, though. Most of the people on this forum are lovely, and I don’t mind having a conversation with you, as long as it doesn’t get heated :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

0, my mentality tells me that if you ignore someone then you are an outcast, thank you my community :mad:

Anyhow, I do have people who I was close to Ignore, but I have a very specific list how to get into an ignore:

1.  If you don't understand sarcasm, jokes or simply memes, you go to my I G N O R E.
  2. You don't rush B.

that's it.

Current "Ignored Users" count: 10. Every one of those is due to a: Repeated posting of misinformation or complete nonsense, b: Arguing well beyond the point of insanity and/or rampant fanboyism, or c: Spoiled-brat behaviour that makes me want to break the forum rules.

If you're on that list, it's so that I don't get tempted to reply to your content.

Edited by steve_v

On 5/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, 5thHorseman said:

How can I tell them they're wrong if I'm ignoring them? 

+1

Also, I ignore, and the opponent thinks that I gave up? No, thanks.
Also, how then can I read the rumors he is telling about me?

So, of course none.

if by some reason I don't want to continue a conversation in some thread, I stop visiting it.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 7/27/2019 at 10:32 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

(Bringing back this thread :P)

[snip]

XD

jokes aside, there’s nothing wrong with ignoring people, especially on the internet. >_<... 

And people shouldnt see it like some point of pride to not ignore people, or that ignoring people is some kind of weakness. (Not saying anyone here does but some people do...) 

You are the curator of your internet world, you have every right to try and make it as happy a place for yourself as you wish and there’s zero shame in it, It’s the people who get cyberbullied and don’t have the maturity to be able to do that that I feel sorry for. The internet is a really strange place... 

It could be said that by shutting out opposing views you are creating an eco chamber. I would say that’s fine. It’s your brain you decide what you want in there.

I would also say people are inherently tribal and political and a lot don’t have the temperament to discuss something without succumbing to those tribal primate triggers. Evolution got us here sure and evolution is commonly held to be an enlightened ideology. You see it in the highest institutions of our societies from the political to the economic. The Idea that  competition and survival of the fittest will mean in a adversarial marketplace the best will always float to the top etc... 

But evolution doesn’t think in terms of ideology. It’s only concerned with survival and the result is that the number of rats and cockroaches outnumber lions and tigers probably a billion to one. And why should the marketplace of ideas that is the internet be any different. How many Einsteins are there per generation? 1 if we are lucky I would say. How many trolls? How many people searching for “Kissing Pranks Gone Sexual” and the like? VS how many are watching lectures on quantum mechanics? 

Another question. Who is likely to breed more? The super accomplished people or those with no job and no education? And who are you more likely to encounter on the internet? XD 

P.S. if you read all this know that I’m in bed sick with the flu on Panadol so may be rambling.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

apparently I don't know when it happened but I had one but now zero.

There are some people on this forums that I wish wouldn't post some things but I usually am not one to scold because I remember how I was a new member and how I acted. There are people that joined and where annoying at first but then turned out to be great people. I just have the patience I guess

On 12/12/2020 at 8:12 AM, kerbiloid said:

It's hiding their posts from you and vice versa, so you even aren't aware when they are laughing at you telling nonsense.

Then you suddenly see a quote in another one's post, and realize that you had missed a half of dicsussion.

That second part is why I will always have 0, the only person I'd do that to is [nobody needs to know this] 

Edited by Vanamonde

• 3 weeks later...

There's a serious 'take-away' here.

We all know the internet can be a rough-and-tumble place.  This is simply because 'anonymity breeds cowardice'.

Some web-sites are (much) worse than others.  Everyone knows that we 'rocket scientists' are the politest band on Earth (and the moderators have worked overtime with the whip & scissors to make it that way!).  :)

The hidden cost of "throwing one's weight around" in a forum -- indeed, breaking any of its rules -- is to gradually lose reputation and make oneself irrelevant.

Actions have consequences.

Edited by Hotel26

I had about 18 once, but none of them are 100% ignored nowadays.

I have some annoying signatures blocked, and less than half are blocked from contacting me - these are the ones I really don't wanna know again.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:12 PM, kerbiloid said:

Then you suddenly see a quote in another one's post, and realize that you had missed a half of dicsussion.

The main reason for blocking, for me, is to withdraw myself from unwanted conversations. All that unwanted notifications pollute the notification center, getting into the way on the conversations I still want to have.

After some weeks, I lift the block by the reason you explained: they guy/gal could had been a "standup guy" :sticktongue: once with you, but this doesn't mean that everything he/she posts is trash. And you need to know when you are being slandered anyway. :D 

11 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

We all know the internet can be a rough-and-tumble place.  This is simply because 'anonymity breeds cowardice'.

I have a different view from this: anonymity encourages cowards to exercise whom they really are at first place. (what's perhaps it's just another way of stating it).

Anonymity has its uses, however.

Internet_dog.jpg

12 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Actions have consequences.

Yep!

image-2.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.