Next DLC will be the Last DLC?

So hear me out before you go "BUT DLC IS GREAT MUKITA" and yadayadaydaya.

Ok so first thing we got a new DLC coming up in idk what date because i haven't check yet, And all that things that comes to my mind were "What if we have to Buy the DLC? What happened to KSP Player who sadly don't have the money to enjoy the new DLC like i did when the Making History comes up"

Basically all that jazz. [snip]

So what i'm trying to say is, Make the next DLC will be the last DLC and focus on the Vanilla Game again. I mean like we got the Modding Community for stuff we don't have, I heard they were adding Robotic stuff for the next Update (and DLC i think). But before that we have to Use Infernal Robotics which was sure fine. But the thing was, We can't just be like "Here's Some payed DLC for you! HERE SOME'S PAYED DLC FOR YOU! EVERYONE GET A PAYED DLC!" like no. If we keep adding DLC that kill's some mod (not really but still), That would be just idk a way to make the Modding Community disappears slowy but surely. Yes, there is some KSP Plugin that fixed some Stock game, but what happened to the Part Mod? Will they will just gone because there is too many DLC (if Squad decided to make a Booster loads of DLC). Now look, what if we just add something to the Vanilla game like what Minecraft Did, they weren't perfect, but i wouldn't mind (Except the 1.9 Combat system). Adding New parts to the Vanilla Game without making a new DLC. It's easier, and can Help KSP player who can't afford DLC (like good ol' Mukita).

If this doesn't makes any sense, Just say it. Anyways Forgive me Grammar and let me know what you think about my opinion (that doesn't make any sense)

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

Speaking as a modder who has had at least two mods deprecated due to the functionality, i really don’t mind.  The problem with a mod is that there is no reliable support, and the modder can and has left without any notice.  So leaving it to the modder is simply asking for trouble.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Speaking as a modder who has had at least two mods deprecated due to the functionality, i really don’t mind.  The problem with a mod is that there is no reliable support, and the modder can and has left without any notice.  So leaving it to the modder is simply asking for trouble.

Hmm maybe you have a point, but i think there should be a balance between Mod and Stock stuff, For Example i use HOI4 as an Example.

I could literally play any types of Era in the game if i use Many mods (Millenium Dawn, the great war Etc), but If we want some mechanics to be change, we could use DLC (like Man the gun and waking the Tiger), so it's a balanced. HOI4 does a Great job at this but not perfect but still great nonetheless.

So if KSP have a balance Mod to DLC Ratio. It will be great.

However yes. I agree with your points saying that Leaving it to the Modder would asking for troubles because well sometimes the Modder decided to Retire from His/Her Job as a Modder and stop Updating the mod (this happens alot in HOI4). So yeah, i think we should Have a balance Stock to mod ratio

I'm just going to be that one guy (because I am) who's gonna have to burst your bubble and say that's not possible beeeecause ksp is not just a pc game. I finally purchased ksp for pc after about a year and a half of being infuriated with it on xbox. Now granted they are improving the game but because of certification issues, it takes a long time. Id rather just play it on my computer at this point. However! I actually enjoy the game MORE using a controller (and yes I know they can be used on computers too, I just havent been able to get it configured properly). Case in point is, if I want to play ksp on console (which I do) and I want it to be updated (which I do) with all the cool new dlcs and updates and such (which I do), I absolutely cannot rely on a modder for anything. Modders cant mod ksp on console nor can they port their mods over. So no I dont believe a balance of mods and dlcs are necessary or practical. I think developing the vanilla game and creating dlcs are in fact the right direction for Squad to be going. Especially from a financial standpoint. 

Sorry for the ramble :/

1 hour ago, James M said:

I'm just going to be that one guy (because I am) who's gonna have to burst your bubble and say that's not possible beeeecause ksp is not just a pc game. I finally purchased ksp for pc after about a year and a half of being infuriated with it on xbox. Now granted they are improving the game but because of certification issues, it takes a long time. Id rather just play it on my computer at this point. However! I actually enjoy the game MORE using a controller (and yes I know they can be used on computers too, I just havent been able to get it configured properly). Case in point is, if I want to play ksp on console (which I do) and I want it to be updated (which I do) with all the cool new dlcs and updates and such (which I do), I absolutely cannot rely on a modder for anything. Modders cant mod ksp on console nor can they port their mods over. So no I dont believe a balance of mods and dlcs are necessary or practical. I think developing the vanilla game and creating dlcs are in fact the right direction for Squad to be going. Especially from a financial standpoint. 

Sorry for the ramble :/

It's fine... 

You don't need sorry For that. We all did it when our opinion is different from others. 
Also your point kinda makes sense, i should  have thought about the console player before i type this

3 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

So hear me out before you go "BUT DLC IS GREAT MUKITA" and yadayadaydaya.

Ok so first thing we got a new DLC coming up in idk what date because i haven't check yet, And all that things that comes to my mind were "What if we have to Buy the DLC? What happened to KSP Player who sadly don't have the money to enjoy the new DLC like i did when the Making History comes up"

Basically all that jazz. [snip]

So what i'm trying to say is, Make the next DLC will be the last DLC and focus on the Vanilla Game again. (,,,)

The challenge is that the vanilla game is many years old and at this point it’s not very likely that the sales of it are generating a lot of money.

While it is sad that not everyone can afford the DLC, expecting development to focus on the base game would really not change anything. Hardly any cash would flow in, Squad would have to close up shop and the end result would be the same as it’s now, or actually worse, as the base game wouldn’t see even bug updates anymore.

While the DLC scenario for updates doesn’t work well for you, keep in mind that it does finance the updates to the vanilla game that you do benefit from, and that is still better than nothing at all.

Indeed. Sales of the expansions will help fund continued development not only of the expansions but also the base game.

And I think Take Two definitely have an eye on the console version, where mods are unavailable. Hence the addition of features like a delta-V calculator and better manouvre node editor (both base game features!). Sure, PC players had and still do have mods that do the same job and arguably do it better, but the improvements are vital for console players.

Like the others, I cannot agree with you. You can have updates or not pay. As someone with enough money problems to worry about the cost of the DLC, you can surely understand the desire to earn money when you do good work. That's all Squad's trying to do.

16 hours ago, cantab said:

Indeed. Sales of the expansions will help fund continued development not only of the expansions but also the base game.

And I think Take Two definitely have an eye on the console version, where mods are unavailable. Hence the addition of features like a delta-V calculator and better manouvre node editor (both base game features!). Sure, PC players had and still do have mods that do the same job and arguably do it better, but the improvements are vital for console players.

Well you got a point.

Take Two definitely wants to Have more Income and basically want to help the Console Player aswell. 

I mean, Yes DLC Is paid, But if it were gonna improved the Console version and Income for Squad, I think that is a win.

4 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Each DLC has come with a general game update that improves the functionality of the core game to enable features in the DLC.  

Agreed

I think that at one point the DLC should be rolled into the base game, for instead when DLC 3 comes out, make Making History part of the base game.

1) It’ll boost stock sales ever so slightly 

2) By then, sales of MH will have flatlined so it doesn’t hurt sales

3) Prices of DLC are so low that I doubt people will hold out 3 years to save themselves $15; and those who would likely wouldn’t be buying it anyway.

But I’m not sure T2 shares my views.

9 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I think that at one point the DLC should be rolled into the base game, for instead when DLC 3 comes out, make Making History part of the base game.

1) It’ll boost stock sales ever so slightly 

2) By then, sales of MH will have flatlined so it doesn’t hurt sales

3) Prices of DLC are so low that I doubt people will hold out 3 years to save themselves $15; and those who would likely wouldn’t be buying it anyway.

But I’m not sure T2 shares my views.

I agree with this. But for starter, If take two and Squad wants to create another DLC, It should be Ground breaking with new mechanics and stuff.

The Next DLC is a great way because it adds some robotic element and such. But for extra parts, I think we should add that to Vanilla (but not that Extremely) Like if there is nothing major add 5M part to Vanilla and maybe just Parts that are from the DLC are parts like Historical. But if the parts are fictional, or atleast Realistic but there's no prototype IRL, then it should be vanilla

If SQUAD(take2) is gonna sell modpacks they should alter the TERMS to make it alright for mod creators to sell their mods.

It's totally whack anyways, they straight up steal modder creations, reverse engineer them, repackage and sell..  All the while sitting behind legal walls.. Stacking their millions of $$ and telling everyone else they can't make a buck.  I can't fathom how anyone could feel justified in defending these actions (unless they are on the take too)...

I wouldn't mind a "monkey in the middle" approach where mod creators, could submit their creations to a "mod page" for people to d/l for $1, Let the house keep half and PAY THE ACTUAL CREATORS 50 cents.  This is fair, and it will attract more, and better modders.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, Mukita12 said:

If we keep adding DLC that kill's some mod (not really but still), That would be just idk a way to make the Modding Community disappears slowy but surely.

Sure seems like that doesn't it?  It really grinds my gears. 

The last time actual, original content was added into the base game we got... Dres.

4 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

If SQUAD(take2) is gonna sell modpacks they should alter the TERMS to make it alright for mod creators to sell their mods.

It's totally whack anyways, they straight up steal modder creations, reverse engineer them, repackage and sell..  All the while sitting behind legal walls.. Stacking their millions of $$ and telling everyone else they can't make a buck.  I can't fathom how anyone could feel justified in defending these actions (unless they are on the take too)...

I wouldn't mind a "monkey in the middle" approach where mod creators, could submit their creations to a "mod page" for people to d/l for $1, Let the house keep half and PAY THE ACTUAL CREATORS 50 cents.  This is fair, and it will attract more, and better modders.

Sure seems like that doesn't it?  It really grinds my gears. 

The last time actual, original content was added into the base game we got... Dres.

Hmmm.  I really don’t know how to reply to something as ignorant and biased as this is.

Please point out the mod that emulated what the Making History DLC did.  To my knowledge, there is and was no mod which provided the Mission Builder functionality.  Please don’t make the argument that it was useless, not what you wanted, etc.  it was original, and has turned into a decent piece of code.

Yes, there was surface science before, which was discontinued just befor the announcement.  Yes, there were robotics before, but it was buggy and not too good (i am aware that someone had taken it over).  But not the same as copying a mod.   

The fact that a modder does something, and that they eventually add something similiar, is no proof that they copied, reverse engineered, etc.  in fact, since the game is written in C#, its easy for someone to check to see if any code has been copied, etc.

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

To my knowledge, there is and was no mod which provided the Mission Builder functionality.

Contract configurator. Try the Oweebooboo Run

That's my opinion... You can call me names if you want (please don't).  My opinion is just as valid as yours.  I'm going to take a step back from this thread now.  Have a great day.  Thanks to all the mod creators, and maintainers.  You are the real MVP's.

Edited by MrChumley
keep yer shirt on Lt

1 hour ago, MrChumley said:

...they should alter the TERMS to make it alright for mod creators to sell their mods.

I've never seen anything that said mod creators cannot sell their work.

10 minutes ago, razark said:

I've never seen anything that said mod creators cannot sell their work.

You mean you didn't read the EULA?

https://www.take2games.com/eula/

LICENSE CONDITIONS

You agree not to, and not to provide guidance or instruction to any other individual or entity on how to:

• commercially exploit the Software;

1 hour ago, MrChumley said:

Contract configurator. Try the Oweebooboo Run

That's my opinion... You can call me names if you want (please don't).  My opinion is just as valid as yours.  I'm going to take a step back from this thread now.  Have a great day.  Thanks to all the mod creators, and maintainers.  You are the real MVP's.

Not even close.  CC is a text file, no debugging, no GUI, etc.  CC is a real PITA to write and debug

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

CC is a real PITA to write and debug

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please don’t make the argument that it was useless, not what you wanted, etc.  it was original, and has turned into a decent piece of code. 

It is what it is.

Unfortunately it won't be. The current profit model for video games relies on two and a half things.

1. DLC
2. a. Micro-transactions
2. b. Subscriptions

Yeah that's three items. But micro-transactions and subscriptions each count as three quarters of an item. So two and a half.

Until a different model can be developed, *couch* merchandizing *couch*, we're stuck with it.

Here’s the thing with the DLCs: when I pay for a DLC, I’m not (exclusively) paying for the content in the DLC, because a lot of it has already been done (in some form) in a mod. I’m paying for the continued maintenance of that content, and a guarantee of its compatibility with future versions. If I had a dollar for every cool mod I’ve had to stop using, or eschew using altogether, because it wasn’t compatible with the latest version, or every time I had to hold off on an update for weeks at a time while waiting for mods to update, it would be enough to pay the $15 dollar price tag of a DLC many times over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.