KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Axis Groups

St4rdust

26 minutes ago, Melfice said:

There will be a showcase of the UI later on. Confirmed on Twitter. This is just showing off the Action Group controls.

Looks like this is that UI showcase. That's a full-screen video of the robotic parts operating without any special GUI shown.

If you watch the part in the VAB (may need to expand to full screen to see it), they're binding the operation of robotic parts to some of the translation axes (the IJKLHN keys), with some toggles and settings to customize how they work.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Looks like this is that UI showcase. That's a full-screen video of the robotic parts operating without any special GUI shown.

If you watch the part in the VAB (may need to expand to full screen to see it), they're binding the operation of robotic parts to some of the translation axes (the IJKLHN keys), with some toggles and settings to customize how they work.

He is referring to the more advanced robotics UI via the KAL part. 

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

There's still some days of waiting (not going to be specific, as there's time zones present), I'm sure there's going to be more.

Edited by dok_377
Spelling errors.

@St4rdust and @nestor please provide a alternative hi-res link for videos where users will want to read the test/ look at fine details.  I'm on a relatively low bandwidth (and high ping time) connection atm.  Twitter doesn't seem to provide any options to adjust the video quality, it just defaults to something that doesn't have buffering which for me atm seems to be 144p.  I would much rather watch on youtube or vimeo, where I can set the quality to 720p or 1080p.

more available action groups and the ability to set the new robotics parts to set rotation amounts OR push-to-turn, count me IN!

Only thing left that would give us more control is the already mentioned sequencer...

if that is able to have multiple actions after one another and adds the ability to toggle a loop of sequences... very excited for this DLC

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I wonder what keys do this. I don't see a "robot mode" like docking mode, so if it IS IJKLHN then what happens when you have RCS on and try to use your robotic arm?

If it's not very clear from the video, these are the options. There are several options to decide what to do with the original binding like responding to both or overriding. Also as mentioned on the KSP Loading... Newsletter there are now Action Sets to extend the options.

image.png

3 minutes ago, nestor said:

If it's not very clear from the video, these are the options. There are several options to decide what to do with the original binding like responding to both or overriding. Also as mentioned on the KSP Loading... Newsletter there are now Action Sets to extend the options.

image.png

I get that. At least, I think I do.

Here's what I get. You can set "Translate L/R" to keys in keybindings. Currently it's J and L. They control how RCS jets push your craft. I'm wondering what happens when I want to line 2 ships up in space and also use a robotic arm, and need RCS to keep them lined up while also moving the arm.

If the answer is "hit R, move the arm, hit R, move the ship, repeat" then I'm cool with that. I just want to know if that's the answer.

5 minutes ago, nestor said:

Are programmable time-delays part of the extended action group options? Those would be very handy!

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I get that. At least, I think I do.

Here's what I get. You can set "Translate L/R" to keys in keybindings. Currently it's J and L. They control how RCS jets push your craft. I'm wondering what happens when I want to line 2 ships up in space and also use a robotic arm, and need RCS to keep them lined up while also moving the arm.

If the answer is "hit R, move the arm, hit R, move the ship, repeat" then I'm cool with that. I just want to know if that's the answer.

If you decide to bind them like that, then yeah. You could do it that way or you could assign them to different sets and change sets whenever you want to control the robotic part. 

Just now, nestor said:

If you decide to bind them like that, then yeah. You could do it that way or you could assign them to different sets and change sets whenever you want to control the robotic part. 

Ah, cool. The part I didn't know was that the robotic controls were split from the ship controls. Do they have defaults set already? What are they? The key bindings are pretty full and I'm having trouble seeing where you'd logically place the 12 movement ones, little alone throttle and the rest.

24 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I wonder what keys do this. I don't see a "robot mode" like docking mode, so if it is IJKLHN then what happens when you have RCS on and try to use your robotic arm?

What I would have guessed, based on how keybindings work so far, would be that both RCS fire and the robotic moves.
That is assuming you control your arm with Tranlsate-* axes.

If we want independent control of the arm and RCS, then we have to pick another set of keys, bind these keys to Custom01--04  axes, and use those Custom-* axes for the arm. 

24 minutes ago, nestor said:

From what I can make out from Nestor's post... and its hard for us because we have no idea really what different sets are because we don't know the inside information on the DLC... but I think what is being said is that there will be mutiple groups of Action Groups that you can switch between and when you enable a different Action Group set you can use the Pitch/Yaw/Throttle/Translate controls to trigger your robotic part actuations whilst also blocking those keys from triggering the default parts they would normally control like RCS, SAS, Throttle etc.

The video is pretty confusing to the general player without having any kind of knowledge about how these 'sets' work as the video would indicate that you'd, for example, be firing your RCS in space whilst also triggering your piston to extend a satellite dish arm (which would be a real pain in the backside).

7 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

This looks great! I also hope there will be really good tutorials and KSPedia entries to explain the new robotics. I already have some Canadarm-like parts planned.. :)

Oooh yes a new tutorial would be nice indeed. 

wow ! wow ! woooow !!!!! now I bow! what ! I dreamed about it. Oh my god.

Frankly respect. I am amazed.

it's really great work. it's crazy .

thank you so much @SQUAD

ksp go to the star !!! no one can stop him !!!!!!  ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!

I’m not sure what I’m seeing exactly.   I’ll have to wait for other examples, preferable narrated, to understand how this works.  

Let’s hope if they do have tutorials for this, that all tutorials are included at release.  If you remember, Making History shipped with only 2 of the 3 mission builder tutorials. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.