KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Axis Groups

St4rdust

3 hours ago, Kergarin said:

What if one builds something, that can unfold and extend to more than the physics range is.

Let's say.... 70km :D 

Will it work? :D

"All" you'd need is 5km, so it could stretch 2.5km each way. I don't know if it's from the root part or the COM so that covers both.

tumblr_inline_pryt36Kd6j1rr2wit_540.jpg

Based on this pic and that they can extend to 4 x their length, it's generous to say the large piston will extend to 2 meters. So, you'd need about 2500 of them attached end-to-end and they'd already be over 1km long when you started.

So sure, it's possible. Not really practical.

(you can do similar with long parts and hinges and get it under 1000 parts but still. I doubt a hinge will work well rotating 500+ parts around 500+ other parts, even if those parts were extremely light weight)

Edited by 5thHorseman

13 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I just want to be able to deploy stuff...

well - there is <ALT>,<CNTRL>,<SHFT>, and all sorts of combinations of these plus if one really wants to get all Bill on it - there is <LALT>,<LCNTRL>,<LSHFT>, <RALT>,<RCNTRL>,<RSHFT>. :)

so <ALT><1> or <RALT><LSHFT><4> - all are different keyboard scan codes. And there are many (relatively) unassigned Fkeys(with modifier keys as well).

The problem is, Ctrl and Shift are used for main throttle. You can't use shortcuts with them. I learned that when my Steam screenshot shortcut was "Shift-F12". I tried taking a screenshot of my landed rocket and it just took off... 

3 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

The problem is, Ctrl and Shift are used for main throttle. You can't use shortcuts with them. I learned that when my Steam screenshot shortcut was "Shift-F12". I tried taking a screenshot of my landed rocket and it just took off... 

yep, that's happened to me. Love me a razer naga, map the <RALT><RSHFT><RCNTRL> to one of the 17 buttons. :P

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

"All" you'd need is 5km, so it could stretch 2.5km each way. I don't know if it's from the root part or the COM so that covers both.

tumblr_inline_pryt36Kd6j1rr2wit_540.jpg

Based on this pic and that they can extend to 4 x their length, it's generous to say the large piston will extend to 2 meters. So, you'd need about 2500 of them attached end-to-end and they'd already be over 1km long when you started.

So sure, it's possible. Not really practical.

(you can do similar with long parts and hinges and get it under 1000 parts but still. I doubt a hinge will work well rotating 500+ parts around 500+ other parts, even if those parts were extremely light weight)

Yes I was thinking about long parts and hinges.

I have no clue how sturdy or powerfull these parts are. Friday will tell :D

Edited by Kergarin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.