[1.8.x] Firespitter Extended [Version 2.2, "Quality Control"]

What should I try focusing on next?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. For making more parts

• Make more structural parts (Fuselages, fuel tanks, etc.)
    • Make more aero parts (Wings, control surfaces, etc.)
  2. 2. Should I try making patches for the Ferram Aerospace Research mod?

• Yes
    • No

SXqYWe0.png

This addon is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International license

Creative Commons Licence

2020 Update

Well, it's back now.

For now, unless a lot of you would like otherwise, I'll be sticking with KSP 1.8.x as this is the only version Firespitter officaly supports at the moment. I've seen some people haven't gotten it to work for them on 1.9.x versions and it's probably not going to work on 1.10.x versions either. The farthest it can go that I can say it will from experience is up to 1.9.x versions, however if you do decide to use Firespitter and Firespitter Extended in these versions keep in mind issues you find in there are most likely because both are meant for 1.8.x

Since I've learned how to properly model stuff, models will definetly be coming out faster. I mostly just have to get the hang of Unity and how KSP does its stuff, and you might even be able to see more parts like engines, cockpits etc. along with better quality skins.

DISCLAIMER: I have been given permission by @RoverDude to release this mod. This mod consists of modified parts and shares Firespitter Bi-Plane textures already made by either @RoverDude or @Snjo and are not originally made by me. In no way am I trying to steal the show from their pack. All credits go to them for releasing the original parts. I am in no way a part of the Firespitter development team. Thank you in advance for your acknowledgment!

Ever played around with the WWI Firespitter parts and got frustrated with how hard it is to make a replica with them?

They look like the perfect parts at a first glance, but there's just not enough variety to make that one Central powers fighter look different from the rest of your craft apart from the paint job or the arrangement of parts, and you don't really want to resort to stock pieces for your WWI save as they look too modern. Well, look no further! This pack was made for you!

The only dependencies are Firespitter for the textures and ModuleManager

Note that when I say Firespitter, I mean the actual parts pack, not just the plugin! Grab it here!

Downloads:

Spacedock Download

Github Download

Change log:

Spoiler

Version 1 (Initial release)

jkMjTmA.png 

The first ever release, of course!

• Adds Biplane Tail V2 Based on the tail of the Fokker Eindecker.
  • Adds Biplane Tail V3 Based on the tail of the S.E.5
  • Adds Biplane Delta Rudder Based on the vertical fin of the S.E.5

Version 2, "A fresh coat of paint"

ojFo6W5.png

• Added new skins for my Firespitter parts and the original Firespitter biplane parts. Now you can have more teams other than Tommy and Fritz! These skins include:
         A silver paint job with French insignia (based on paint jobs of the Nieuport 17)
         A beige paint job with German insignia
         A beige paint job with Italian insignia

• Added FS5R Circular Rudder V1 based on the vertical fin of the Eindecker monoplane series

• Added FS5R Circular Rudder V2 based on the vertical fin of the Fokker Dr.1

• Added FS4E Delta Elevator based on the horizontal fins of the Fokker Dr.1

• Added Biplane Tail Fuselage V4 based on the tail section of the Fokker Dr.1

Version 2.1

YShinmV.png

• 1.8.x compatibility!
  • FS4E Delta Elevator slightly remodeled to look better

Version 2.2, "Quality Control"

SXqYWe0.png

• Cleaned up all models and fixed many issues with things like shading + bad model topology in general. Essentialy quality control
  • The addon is now under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

Q&A:

Q: Why do the parts look like they have no textures on the part list in the SPH/VAB? (They still look normal when you place them on your craft in the hangar though)

A: I don't know. This is actually the first time I've made parts using FS texture switch configs, so any help would be appreciated to fix this bug. But don't worry, the parts should work and have colors without any issues!

Q: Proof of permission?

A: Sadly, I've somehow lost the message I sent to RoverDude. However, if you have any concerns you can ask him.

Q: Why do some of your parts piggy-back off of other Firespitter textures?

A: I'm trying to keep this addon as close to Firespitter's design as possible. By reusing Firespitter's textures, I can keep stuff from being too out of line with the original Firespitter biplane parts while also saving space and memory by using less textures.

Q: What if I find an issue?

A: Open an issue in the GitHub, or post it here. I recommend you go to GitHub though, to prevent forum clutter. Any pictures or logfiles will be greatly useful for me to look at!

Q: Are you open to suggestions/criticism?

A: I am open to any suggestions! Feel free to criticize the mod in any way, but make sure to tell me what's wrong so I can see what to do to make it better!

Q: Where could I post suggestions/critique?

A: You can post it on the forum or on GitHub

Q: Do/Will you support previous versions of KSP?

A: Most likely not.

Q: Will you do more extensions for Firespitter parts other than the WWI series?

A: Probably not, as this mod is meant to be focused on WWI parts regarding Firespitter, and the WWI textures/models are the only ones I specifically asked permission for modification.

Q: CKAN support?

A: Sure, personally I don't use it so let me know if there are any issues and I'll try to solve them

Edited by UltimateFlash15
V2.2 Release

• 2 months later...

Hello all, it's been a pretty long time. I haven't played KSP recently, but will get back to working on this mod asap! Stay tuned for some pointy tails :wink:

• 1 month later...

Whats up guys, I have great news! I've finally actually been getting back into KSP! This means that I can actually work on this mod now, since I have motivation for it.

Since the reply thread here has been kind of empty, could you guys please post your suggestions for parts here?

@The_8_Bit_Zombie @Nightside @lurkoholic @madmanjazz @Beetlecat @SPEKTRE @N3N Sorry for the mass ping, but as you have liked the post I felt like I should notify you since you showed interest. I have great news for you all, and while its one thing out of many, I definitely recommend you check out the spoiler below :wink:

Spoiler

gYfzMrc.png

Firespitter extended V2 coming soon!

Firespitter V2 is gonna come out soon, possibly tommorow! However, I have edited some values for the delta rudder, so if you have any craft that use it, be careful! You may want to take the delta rudder off your aircraft before you update!

Also, remember to put out suggestions! :)

@Beetlecat @N3N Sorry for the ping again, but I really couldn't resist telling you guys this since you guys seem to be the most invested in development so far :)

So basically I've finally figured out how to write MM patches for Firespitters texture switch. That means if I want to make extra skins, I can not only add to to my parts but add it to firespitters too. This also means you guys can contribute to development even more by suggesting skins or even creating your own skins for me to add to the mod! :D

Keep an eye out for extra customization! You finally will not be fighting just german or british planes. You might find yourself fighting a French plane from the 1915's :wink:

QN7Uiv6.png

Also yeah I know the tail piece at the end doesn't really fit with the rest of the plane because of the symbol, however I've added texture switches to that too for different variants so I suppose I could make a blank texture :)

And if you don't like these textures, you won't have to worry! In the next update when this is added, there will be a patch folder where the patch is stored, along with simple instructions for uninstallation.

Make sure to keep your eyes and ears open for FS extended V2! :D

I know I keep delaying the update and keep adding more stuff, but bear with me! The new update is dropping in a few minutes!

I've figured out something amazing, and I'm sure everyone will enjoy it once they get their hands on it :D

WhaoPbE.png

Version 2

IMPORTANT: You need module manager for the skins in this update to work! If you don't like them, check the patches folder and open its README for some uninstallation info.

• Added new skins for my Firespitter parts and the original Firespitter biplane parts. Now you can have more teams other than Tommy and Fritz! These skins include:

1. A silver paint job with French insignia (based on paint jobs of the Nieuport 17)
  2. A beige paint job with German insignia
  3. A beige paint job with Italian insignia
  • Added FS5R Circular Rudder V1 based on the vertical fin of the Eindecker monoplane series

• Added FS5R Circular Rudder V2 based on the vertical fin of the Fokker Dr.1

• Added FS4E Delta Elevator based on the horizontal fins of the Fokker Dr.1

• Added Biplane Tail Fuselage V4 based on the tail section of the Fokker Dr.1

NOTICE:

Want to contribute even more to the mod? Want to give me ideas by actually creating them? Want to do this without being limited from special access being required?

Now you are able to make textures and extra skins for this addon! You can share this with me by providing me with a download link to a skin you have made, and if I think it is good enough, your skin will be voted on by the community! If it is accepted, your own texture will be placed inside this addon, and you get credit for it! Go wild with those textures! :D

Before you ask, yes, I am updating this for 1.8 ASAP. However, I'll need to wait for Firespitter to actually update for 1.8 too;  having a bunch of these parts without the core stuff won't go down well :wink:

On 10/16/2019 at 5:41 PM, UltimateFlash15 said:

Before you ask, yes, I am updating this for 1.8 ASAP. However, I'll need to wait for Firespitter to actually update for 1.8 too;  having a bunch of these parts without the core stuff won't go down well :wink:

We can wait. 

BTW, great job on the mod so far. I like it (I think I'm one of......30 people that still plays with the Firespitter parts.... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, apologies for the absence. I'm currently working on 3 other projects on an entirely different game, homework, etc. but I finally have some breathing room so hopefully I'll be able to update it for 1.8.x soon! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.1

• 1.8.x compatibility!
  • FS4E Delta Elevator slightly remodeled to look better

I'm slowly getting back to KSP, so hopefully I'll be able to push out even more content. :)

Thank you all so much for your support! Despite the fact that I do dumb stuff like promise releases that are always postponed (whoops :rolleyes:), you all have still stuck with this addon.

Also, special thanks to @Snjo and @RoverDude. Without their awesome Firespitter mod, this would never have come into existence. You guys are awesome!!! :D

Hello everyone! Just here to notify you that a new update with a few more new parts is coming soon! :)

There is only one person who has voted in the poll so far. Everyone else, make sure you vote so you can help me with the future of this addon! :D

Hello everyone, heres a quick concept. Since most of the people in the poll voted for structural stuff, this is what this is based off of :) 

Building aircraft like the DH.1/DH.2/F.E.2 is usually difficult due to the nature of their tail, so I've thought up of a quick solution.

mpVvFrX.png

The sections similar to the part circled in red (the horizontal bars) would be regular parts in which you'd be able to do all the regular stuff like offsetting, rotating, etc. The sections similar to the part circled in blue (the vertical struts) would be struts, so they would be able to fit the bars no matter what. I can also probably bring the bracing wires back, so essentially this would be a slight revival and cleanup of old Firespitter struts.

What do you guys think of this? Make sure to tell me your thoughts on it! :)

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone.

It's been quite awhile since I've touched this addon or KSP, since I've moved on to other projects to work on. I don't really have the motivation to work on this at the moment, and I don't think I'll be getting back to it anytime soon.

Since it's under an MIT license, I think you should be free to take it and keep it alive yourself. If it requires permission, just ask me.

I know it sucks since it's been so long, but right now I have to move on. My experience on the KSP forum has been wonderful while it lasted.

Farewell everyone. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.