Beale

[1.7.X][v2.2] Project Manager, Group and Autonumber Launches [01/06/2019]

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

05q0NAh.png

You can now also add a tilde ~ to the end of the project tag to use A, B, C...Z in place of 1, 2, 3...26

 

Description:

This is a remake / revamp of my previous mod, with some enhanced functionality.
It's a very lightweight mod which will pick up tags in your vessel names and autonumber your launch when rolling out the vessel.

Example One

[STS] Discovery
[STS] Atlantis
[STS] Endeavour


These crafts, when launched will be renamed to:

STS 1
STS 2
. . .
STS 999

 

 

Example Two

[Gemini]* Red Gemini
[Gemini]* Blue Gemini
[Gemini]* Green Gemini


These crafts, when launched will be renamed to:

Gemini I
Gemini II
. . .
Gemini CMXCIX

 

 

Example Three

[STS]~ Discovery
[STS]~ Atlantis
[STS]~ Endeavour


These crafts, when launched will be renamed to:

STS A
STS B
. . .
STS Z
STS 27
STS 28
. . .

Improvements:

  • Added support for roman numerals.
  • Added support for ABC numbering.
  • Project records are now stored to persistance file.
  • Launch reverts will roll back the launch count.
  • Support for wider charset.

Download on GitHub

Goals:

The key aim of this mod is to be lightweight and unintrusive as possible - and more to that, it can be uninstalled and reinstalled without any issues.
Due to this, I probably won't look to extend this much further (A GUI interface for example), but ways to enhance it whilst still keeping things lightweight might be neat.

Licence:

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Edited by Beale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

*...Placeholding this spot, for CobaltWolf so he can be FIRST :cool:...*

Thanx for this, Beale... Being very disorganized, while having OCD at the same time, makes my KSP folder and games, quite consistently organized and disorganized, in at least semi-logical ways, all at the same time ... lol

This should help immensely, when I do actually get to play... ;)


 

Edited by Stone Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, the Roman numerals are something I wanted since the initial release of the first mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome mod that adds a little fun and immersion to KSP. Thanks for continuing support of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beale, I love this mod so very much. No more having to remember to add a number to successive flights!

Would you consider adding alphabetic enumeration as well, such as Kerbsat A, Kerbsat B, Kerbsat C, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LitaAlto said:

Beale, I love this mod so very much. No more having to remember to add a number to successive flights!

Would you consider adding alphabetic enumeration as well, such as Kerbsat A, Kerbsat B, Kerbsat C, etc.?

That's a nice suggestion, sure it should be easy enough. :)
My only wonder is what happens when going above the full alphabet (I suppose it can just revert to standard numbering after that).

 

 

Version 2.1

GitHub

  • Fixes to persistance saving.
  • Project names can now contain spaces.

Really sorry, this might reset numbering - I had to juggle around the saving code to fix some bugs reported:

  • Project codes are now all caps internally.
  • Project codes with spaces now replace the spaces with underscore _


If you want to manually fix this - it can fixed by changing the project definitions in the persistent.sfs file inside your KSP save directory:

Old Style:

SCENARIO
	{
		name = ProjectManager
		scene = 7
		PROJECTMANAGER
		{
			Kerpollo
			{
				LAUNCH_NUMBER = 7
			}
			Super Kosmos
			{
				LAUNCH_NUMBER = 12
			}
		}
	}

New Style:
Kerpollo -> KERPOLLO
Super Kosmos -> SUPER_KOSMOS

SCENARIO
	{
		name = ProjectManager
		scene = 7
		PROJECTMANAGER
		{
			KERPOLLO
			{
				LAUNCH_NUMBER = 7
			}
			SUPER_KOSMOS
			{
				LAUNCH_NUMBER = 12
			}
		}
	}

 

If you don't want to manually fix this - here's the canon, there was a fire in the records department at KSC. You are back to launch 1 :)

Edited by Beale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Beale said:

That's a nice suggestion, sure it should be easy enough. :)
My only wonder is what happens when going above the full alphabet (I suppose it can just revert to standard numbering after that).

Thanks for considering it!
And you have a good point. Although I'm sure it's an edge case, it's probably one to keep in mind.
Another possible consideration is localization. I don't know if any Russian KSP players would want Cyrillic support but it might be a good idea to check the game's language setting and, where possible, account for that.

Edited by LitaAlto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 6:21 PM, LitaAlto said:

Would you consider adding alphabetic enumeration as well, such as Kerbsat A, Kerbsat B, Kerbsat C, etc.?

Well now I have more than considered it :wink:

Version 2.2

GitHub

  • You can now add a tilde ~ to the end of the project tag for ABC naming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This looks sweet!

One question though: What happens to the "Lander", "Shuttle", "atlantis", "endeavour" bit of the name? If it's left out completely, is there any reason to supply it at all in the first place?

Edit: I already know how I'm going to call my first launcher: The [Splaturn]! :D

Edited by Jognt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jognt said:

This looks sweet!

One question though: What happens to the "Lander", "Shuttle", "atlantis", "endeavour" bit of the name? If it's left out completely, is there any reason to supply it at all in the first place?

Edit: I already know how I'm going to call my first launcher: The [Splaturn]! :D

Those are left out completely yep :)

What they are for - well, you can use it to differentiate between different components of the same project:

[ISS] Zvezda
[ISS] Zarya
[ISS] Unity
etc...
 

Then you can tell them apart in the VAB, but are launched as ISS 1, 2, 3 etc.
If not needed, sure, you can have names of just the tag alone no problem.

Edited by Beale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great idea!

what about providing custom indexing through module manager?

[basename]&# where # indicates a schema listed in an MM config file, so you specify “dutch=een,twee,drie” and “german=ein,zwei,drei” or whatever names one wants to choose.

That way, one could name [USS]&navy and get “USS Enterprise” “USS Constellation”, “USS Nimitz” etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

What a great idea!

what about providing custom indexing through module manager?

[basename]&# where # indicates a schema listed in an MM config file, so you specify “dutch=een,twee,drie” and “german=ein,zwei,drei” or whatever names one wants to choose.

That way, one could name [USS]&navy and get “USS Enterprise” “USS Constellation”, “USS Nimitz” etc.

This might be a decent way to take care of a problem I mentioned earlier with non-Latin enumeration, say, for Cyrillic. I don't know how easy it would be to implement or if @Beale would be interested in adding it, though.

23 hours ago, Beale said:

Well now I have more than considered it :wink:

Version 2.2

GitHub

  • You can now add a tilde ~ to the end of the project tag for ABC naming.

YAY! I HAD AN I D E A!!!

Sincerely, though, thank you, I can't wait to try it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

What a great idea!

what about providing custom indexing through module manager?

[basename]&# where # indicates a schema listed in an MM config file, so you specify “dutch=een,twee,drie” and “german=ein,zwei,drei” or whatever names one wants to choose.

That way, one could name [USS]&navy and get “USS Enterprise” “USS Constellation”, “USS Nimitz” etc.

I will take a look for sure, it might be difficult to make it that dynamic though.
On the other hand, to spin off naming into the language localisation files would be a handy little thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beale Love the mod! Only issue I'm having (perhaps this is just me) is whenever a craft name has * in the title, KSP always asks if I want to overwrite when saving. Seems to be due to the fact that * is translated to _ in the save file name, so KSP tries to confirm because the two are different? Would it be possible to add an option (like "R" right after the ] instead of/in addition to "*")? I didn't try ~ yet, but I'd assume it's the same thing.

Thanks for updating and improving this mod to 1.7.1 :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feature request.

Say you've got a rocket with a first stage, a second stage and some kind of payload, like a satellite. The payload has a control part on it, obviously, which can be named "[Blah Blah] Satellite" or whatever, and this mod will rename the vehicle to "Blah Blah 1" when you roll out to the launch pad.

But say your upper stage also has a probe core on it so you can de-orbit it or whatever. I'd like to be able to use the "Configure Vessel Naming" feature to set that part's name to "[Blah Blah] Upper Stage," and then the mod changes it to "Blah Blah 1 Upper Stage" on rollout. As it is right now, if I try to use the "Configure Vessel Naming" feature that way, my upper stage ends up named "[Blah Blah] Upper Stage" or whatever I typed, and this mod doesn't touch it.

Think that'd be possible? I've gotten so spoiled by this mod that manually renaming detached stages makes me feel like a peasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 2:32 AM, leomike said:

@Beale Love the mod! Only issue I'm having (perhaps this is just me) is whenever a craft name has * in the title, KSP always asks if I want to overwrite when saving. Seems to be due to the fact that * is translated to _ in the save file name, so KSP tries to confirm because the two are different? Would it be possible to add an option (like "R" right after the ] instead of/in addition to "*")? I didn't try ~ yet, but I'd assume it's the same thing.

Thanks for updating and improving this mod to 1.7.1 :D

Oh damn, that is a little annoying.

Yeah perhaps letters would be cleaner.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:34 AM, jefferyharrell said:

I have a feature request.

Say you've got a rocket with a first stage, a second stage and some kind of payload, like a satellite. The payload has a control part on it, obviously, which can be named "[Blah Blah] Satellite" or whatever, and this mod will rename the vehicle to "Blah Blah 1" when you roll out to the launch pad.

But say your upper stage also has a probe core on it so you can de-orbit it or whatever. I'd like to be able to use the "Configure Vessel Naming" feature to set that part's name to "[Blah Blah] Upper Stage," and then the mod changes it to "Blah Blah 1 Upper Stage" on rollout. As it is right now, if I try to use the "Configure Vessel Naming" feature that way, my upper stage ends up named "[Blah Blah] Upper Stage" or whatever I typed, and this mod doesn't touch it.

Think that'd be possible? I've gotten so spoiled by this mod that manually renaming detached stages makes me feel like a peasant.

Interesting idea. I will look if there are any extra events I can hook into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beale

This looks awesome.

If I added this to my game, how would I get it to continue the numbering scheme of my craft, rather than starting from 1? I have several spacecraft numbering schemes already in progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Beale

This looks awesome.

If I added this to my game, how would I get it to continue the numbering scheme of my craft, rather than starting from 1? I have several spacecraft numbering schemes already in progress.

Unfortunately you would have to edit the Persistent.sfs file manually. It shouldn't be super difficult though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.