Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

Locking them in flight helped (that was the first thing I tried), but not fixed it entirely. They were still the weakest part of the wing. IMO, a locked hinge joint should not move for any reason (unless the force is such that it destroys the locking mechanism, but I don't think IR Next supports that).

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Locking them in flight helped (that was the first thing I tried), but not fixed it entirely.

yes, that's a unity problem... and KJRn helps... have you installed it? it should help too

26 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

... but I don't think IR Next supports that

why not? :)

23 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Locking them in flight helped (that was the first thing I tried), but not fixed it entirely. They were still the weakest part of the wing. IMO, a locked hinge joint should not move for any reason (unless the force is such that it destroys the locking mechanism, but I don't think IR Next supports that).

Maybe it would be useful if you showed a picture of the craft you're testing with.

Also I would be very curious to see how the stock robotics would fair with this situation once it arrives later this week. Unless they have implemented some magic we're not aware of, they'll still be bound by the same Unity limitations as we are with this mod.

53 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Thanks for the tip! The converted textures will be in the next release.

Another easy, standalone DDS batch converter is https://github.com/Telanor/DDS4KSP/releases

Its called DDS4KSP.... still works... and you dont need to flip the textures manually before hand...

NOTE: you dont need DDSLoader plugin any more with this, so skip any mention of that...

Edited by Stone Blue

Hi.

I'm having troubles with IR Next and Sequencer.

The thing is that when i'm on the SPH the rotatrons work and all, and they can turn to at least 90, 180 degrees.

But at the runway it doesn't work and doesn't move.

71oJmwQ.png

EDIT:Added screenshot (oof)

Edited by Munarmunar

47 minutes ago, Munarmunar said:

I'm having troubles with IR Next and Sequencer.

The thing is that when i'm on the SPH the rotatrons work and all, and they can turn to at least 90, 180 degrees.

But at the runway it doesn't work and doesn't move.

hi, I'm not sure if the sequencer has been updated already... if not, I will try to do something in the next days

the "it does not move"-problem has been reported sometimes... in all cases the problem was the activated autostrut option of KSP. it seems that KSP is ignoring results returned via the interface they introduced for this scenario... the only solution at the moment is to deactivate autostruts (and use KerbalJointReinforcement Next instead)... it may change when they release the DLC

info: for landinglegs and wheels you cannot turn off autostruts... this is why you should have no IR parts between a leg/wheel and the heaviest part of the ship. I did report this as bug, but I think they say this is a feature and not a bug...

1 minute ago, Rudolf Meier said:

hi, I'm not sure if the sequencer has been updated already... if not, I will try to do something in the next days

the "it does not move"-problem has been reported sometimes... in all cases the problem was the activated autostrut option of KSP. it seems that KSP is ignoring results returned via the interface they introduced for this scenario... the only solution at the moment is to deactivate autostruts (and use KerbalJointReinforcement Next instead)... it may change when they release the DLC

info: for landinglegs and wheels you cannot turn off autostruts... this is why you should have no IR parts between a leg/wheel and the heaviest part of the ship. I did report this as bug, but I think they say this is a feature and not a bug...

Much thanks m8, i will try to disable autostruts from the Advanced Tweakable menu.

Good work on you mod!

10 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Another easy, standalone DDS batch converter is https://github.com/Telanor/DDS4KSP/releases

Its called DDS4KSP.... still works... and you dont need to flip the textures manually before hand...

NOTE: you dont need DDSLoader plugin any more with this, so skip any mention of that...

Thanks. I found the thread for this but not the github link, so ended up exporting them using a GIMP plugin. Fortunately there's only 5 unique textures in the mod so it didn't take that long.

Much thanks m8, i will try to disable autostruts from the Advanced Tweakable menu.

Good work on you mod!

Ok i got it to work at the first time!! (the wings where woobling a lot xD)

But at the second time it didn't, i assume this might be my problem!

Thanks for help!!

16 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

I didn't test the others, it's the only one that fits (the wing is one panel wide). Short rail hinge, to be specific. Seeing as there's no shorter one, I'd say multiple hinges are not going to work in this design, though I could test that, I suppose. 

You can find some of my own solutions on lin in my signature as well in WIP IR Next thread, around page 5 or 6 or so.

I was having good results with those designs in KSP 1.1.x and 1.2.x with old IR plugin. However, when I was doing testing in KSP 1.3.x and later, I found that both, parts with old IR plugin and with IR Next plugin are much weaker than it used to be in earlier KSP releases. In IR Next same part joints are actualy stronger than with old plugin or even compared with stock parts.

Have yet to try some of those designs again (didn't have time yet), but IIRC, joints could be made stronger trough editing config files or with additional MM patch.
KJRn should be able to help a lot with those issues due to new interfaces it provides. Now it is possible to have stronger KJR joints even over movable IR parts and just before IR parts need to move, IR plugin can "tell" KJRn to release additional joints and recreate them again when movements stops.

Couple of days ago someone reported in WIP IR thread that he created good Tomcat a like craft with latest beta version of IR.

Also, to note, quite a lot of new parts are jsut created prior release, some of those might require additional tweaking, nothing is written in stone, we have editable config files, text editor and pretty solid plugin to tweak it further for different needs. Speaking of new parts, I already found some glitches with new landing legs, I will report those later on in WIP thread.

EDIT:

Oh, just after posting, I found one of new swept wing mechanizm that I was worked on with KSP 1.3.x and IR next, some time ago. Click on picture for full album:

LNL7Ows.jpg

Edited by kcs123

2 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

am curious - will IR-Next parts work with the new DLC robotic sequencer? Going to have to wait until tomorrow to find out. :)

seriously - thank you for all the hard effort you(and others) have done for this mod.

Not out of the box as their sequencer uses Axis Groups which aren't released yet, but it sounds like it would be possible for us to include.

3 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Not out of the box as their sequencer uses Axis Groups which aren't released yet, but it sounds like it would be possible for us to include.

that was what I was thinking / hoping.

For those who don't own the DLC all good. For those who choose to purchase the DLC - all good, and makes these parts even more useful. :):cool:

Just now, kcs123 said:

That could be linked in OP beside old showcase or to replace old(now obsolete) video.

Already nudged Rudolf to add it. I'd like to keep the old showcase as it's still quite applicable in terms of parts and capabilities shown, but probably worth having the Kottabos one before it. Would be willing to get rid if someone wants to make us a new trailer though ;)

2 minutes ago, Dogemaster said:

I just installed the mod, and only a select few parts showed up, none of which were the actual robot parts. It was just the landing legs, the science modules, and the docking ports.

Do you not see the Robotic tab (not to be confused with the Robotics tab that the DLC added)? If not then it's likely that there is a mod conflict. Are there any warnings or errors in your KSP.log?

Just now, Dogemaster said:

I have the robotics tab, but there is nothing in it. The only other mod I have installed is the Sequencer. It doesn't look like there are any errors in the log.

Is that robotics tab in the middle or at the bottom of the set of tabs? There should be one at the bottom that contains all the IR parts. If that does not appear, then that suggests the mod was not installed correctly or that there is a conflict that's preventing the mod from loading. Your MagicSmokeIndustries folder is in GameData right?

4 minutes ago, Dogemaster said:

My Robotics tab is at the bottom, but it is empty. Should I remove the MagicSmokeIndustries folder from the GameData folder in the InfernalRobotics Folder, and put it in the KSP gamedata folder?

Yes, there should be no Infernal Robotics folder. Move the MagicSmokeIndustries folder out of the GameData it is in and put it in KSP's one, so your path is "Kerbal Space Program/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries". The parts have a specific path they look for so if not found will not load properly.

So the same folder that has Squad and SquadExpansion (if you have any).

Edited by ZodiusInfuser