Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

On 5/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

thanks

because it's almost always automatically compatible with all currently supported KSP versions (if they don't change huge things like the Unity version)... what should I write? [1.4+] ... this will lead to massiv questions when it will be updated to 1.7... or do I write 1.7? then 1.7.1 comes out, needs no updated and someone needs to change the title... or do I write [any] like some do? ... is this more useful? ... in my opinion the user shouldn't  care about those versions as long as we don't see a problem with a specific version of KSP and the modder has to make sure that it works

Kerbalism's thread title says "[literally every version since 1.4]". If you're fine with a lot of typing, maybe that?

3 minutes ago, Hoddd9000 said:

How long does it typically take for mods to be indexed on CKAN? Really excited to use this in parallel with the new DLC.

typically... 2-6 hours I'd say... but seems not to be the case for IR Next... they have some problems with that at the moment

8 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

typically... 2-6 hours I'd say... but seems not to be the case for IR Next... they have some problems with that at the moment

Have you had a chat with the CKAN boys? Sometimes the bot fails to index mods and they won't know about it unless someone points it out

14 minutes ago, SeucheAnemone56 said:

Does IR Next work with the latest version + both DLCs ?

Yes it does. We are working on an update that takes advantage of some of the new DLC features, but the current version works just fine in the latest game.

18 minutes ago, GoldHeart_The_One said:

why not 1.4.x <-> 1.7.x? its short and sweet.

I think the whole point is to leave it so it doesn't need to be updated when KSP updates.

So how about this?  How about we all just deal with whatever @Rudolf Meier decides works best?  Honestly modders are generally more interested in creating than admin work and having this many replies about the subject of the forum post is what drives many to question why they are bothering in the first place.

1 hour ago, JeffreyCor said:

IR back and not requiring TS, I love it!! :D looking forward to your update working with Breaking Ground. :)

Benefits from TweakScale because of how I designed the parts to fit together at different sizes, but it's not required.

If you did want to try it out but not have TS affect other parts, you can go into GameData/TweakScale and delete the patches folder. This is what I personally do.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

3 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Benefits from TweakScale because of how I designed the parts to fit together at different sizes, but it's not required.

If you did want to try it out but not have TS affect other parts, you can go into GameData/TweakScale and delete the patches folder. This is what I personally do.

I absolutely hate TweakScale and in fact took time to create parts to remove TS from the old version which greatly limited any updates to parts. I practically started dancing in my seat because of it not being required here. :) I think my initial reaction actually looked like this :0.0:

On 5/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, Dragon01 said:

What happened to the wheels? I remember there being a nice selection at one point

Oh yeah good question! I remember those, nice white and orange rover wheels that went along with the corresponding hinges and elbowes.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:57 PM, ZodiusInfuser said:

They were broken when KSP updated its wheel physics several years ago. Maybe I'll get time in the coming months to fix them if I can find a good wheel tutorial.

That would be awesome, ksp lacks a decent rover wheels mod. (Edit: there are some of them around, I didn't mean to say they are bad).

Edited by Daniel Prates

33 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

I absolutely hate TweakScale and in fact took time to create parts to remove TS from the old version which greatly limited any updates to parts. I practically started dancing in my seat because of it not being required here. :) I think my initial reaction actually looked like this :0.0:

Sounds like there's a bit of confusion here (either on mine or your part). IR has never required TweakScale in all the 3+ years I've been on the modding team. We do only provide a single size of robotic part though, so have designed them with TweakScaling in mind.

Now if you don't want TS but still want sized parts, then rather than creating copies of the parts you could create ModuleManager patches that duplicate all the parts instead. If anyone wants to go ahead and create these, here's two examples I've just made and tested to start you off

Rotatron - Basic

+PART[IR_Pivotron_Basic_v3]:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]:AFTER[MagicSmokeIndustries]
{
	@name = IR_Pivotron_Basic_v3_50percent

@rescaleFactor = 0.5				//half of base value

@title = Joint Pivotron - Basic (50%)
	@mass = 0.05					//half of base value

@MODULE[ModuleIRServo_v3]
	{
		@electricChargeRequired = 0.625		//quarter of base value

@maxForce = 15				//half of base value
		@forceLimit = 15			//half of base value
	}
}

+PART[IR_Pivotron_Basic_v3]:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]:AFTER[MagicSmokeIndustries]
{
	@name = IR_Pivotron_Basic_v3_25percent

@rescaleFactor = 0.25				//quarter of base value

@title = Joint Pivotron - Basic (25%)
	@mass = 0.025					//quarter of base value

{
		@electricChargeRequired = 0.151625 //16th of base value

@maxForce = 7.5				//quarter of base value
		@forceLimit = 7.5			//quarter of base value
	}
}

Extendatron Basic

+PART[IR_Extendatron_Basic_v3]:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]:AFTER[MagicSmokeIndustries]
{
	@name = IR_Extendatron_Basic_v3_50percent

@rescaleFactor = 0.5				//half of base value

@title = Extendatron - Basic (50%)
	@mass = 0.2					//half of base value

{
		@electricChargeRequired = 0.625		//quarter of base value

@maxForce = 15				//half of base value
		@forceLimit = 15

@maxPosition = 1.15			//half of base value
		@maxPositionLimit = 1.15		//half of base value

@factorAcceleration = 0.1277778		//half of base value
		@maxAcceleration = 10			//half of base value

@factorSpeed = 0.1277778		//half of base value
		@maxSpeed = 10				//half of base value

@zeroInvert = 1.15			//half of base value
	}
}

+PART[IR_Extendatron_Basic_v3]:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]:AFTER[MagicSmokeIndustries]
{
	@name = IR_Extendatron_Basic_v3_25percent

@rescaleFactor = 0.25				//quarter of base value

@title = Extendatron - Basic (25%)
	@mass = 0.1					//quarter of base value

{
		@electricChargeRequired = 0.151625 //16th of base value

@maxForce = 7.5				//quarter of base value
		@forceLimit = 7.5			//quarter of base value

@maxPosition = 0.575			//quarter of base value
		@maxPositionLimit = 0.575		//quarter of base value

@factorAcceleration = 0.0638889		//quarter of base value
		@maxAcceleration = 5			//quarter of base value

@factorSpeed = 0.0638889		//quarter of base value
		@maxSpeed = 5				//quarter of base value

@zeroInvert = 0.575			//quarter of base value
	}
}

Copy these into .cfg files and place them somewhere in your GameData folder.

originally it wasn't, then parts were only in one size unless TweakScale was used. Had to spend a lot of time making it into 3 sizes which I would not have had to do if TS was not a requirement at the time ;) When the review video of this new updated version shows 3 separate sizes for parts back, I'm in love!

4 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

originally it wasn't, then parts were only in one size unless TweakScale was used. Had to spend a lot of time making it into 3 sizes which I would not have had to do if TS was not a requirement at the time ;) When the review video of this new updated version shows 3 separate sizes for parts back, I'm in love!

Sorry to disappoint but the actual robotic parts are still only offered in one size. Structural have different sizes as they have different styles, and the utility parts are sized to the appropriate structural part they are intended for 

Now, I'm willing to put some time in to create the MM configs to create 3 sizes for those like yourself who would prefer that, but with the other stuff I'm doing for the mod some assistance would go a long way to speeding things up.

1 hour ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Sorry to disappoint but the actual robotic parts are still only offered in one size. Structural have different sizes as they have different styles, and the utility parts are sized to the appropriate structural part they are intended for 

Now, I'm willing to put some time in to create the MM configs to create 3 sizes for those like yourself who would prefer that, but with the other stuff I'm doing for the mod some assistance would go a long way to speeding things up.

That is quite disappointing after the video, but your offer is very much appreciated! I think I see what you're doing in the MM examples you gave. I'll use that as a guide to see what I can do as time permits (swearing in ceremony for California Bar on Thursday) and if it goes well I'll be glad to share them with you.

9 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

That is quite disappointing after the video, but your offer is very much appreciated! I think I see what you're doing in the MM examples you gave. I'll use that as a guide to see what I can do as time permits (swearing in ceremony for California Bar on Thursday) and if it goes well I'll be glad to share them with you.

Apologies for the video giving you the impression there were multiple sizes. Kottabos tested the same release as is currently available so not sure what bit in particular made you think multiple sizes were offered.

Anyway, I am slowly going through the parts to add the sized variants. Hope you don't mind the category being super long though

W0kvdVc.png