Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

58 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Anyway, I am slowly going through the parts to add the sized variants. Hope you don't mind the category being super long though

That could not be avoided if anyone don't want to use Tweakscale. However, it is possible to put ":NEED[!TweakScale]" in MM patch, so, for the folks that are using Tweakscale, VAB/SPH category would not be overflowed with too much parts.

Edited by kcs123

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

That could not be avoided if anyone don't want to use Tweakscale. However, it is possible to put ":NEED[!TweakScale]" in MM patch, so, for the folks that are using Tweakscale, VAB/SPH category would not be overflowed with too much parts.

Ah thanks! I was wondering how to do a "do this if a mod is not installed"

Wow, nice work since the last time I played KSP !
Part are still too shiny for me but ... personal taste :)

I remember that there was some issue (struts/autostruts if I remember well) with old KJR release and apparently, you still release your own fork.
What about RO's version ? Is your's needed if we want to have both KJR + IR ?

Congrats !

2 minutes ago, Gurki said:

I remember that there was some issue (struts/autostruts if I remember well) with old KJR release and apparently, you still release your own fork.
What about RO's version ? Is your's needed if we want to have both KJR + IR ?

Congrats !

hi, thanks

yes, KJR Next is needed for IR Next... and, it's so much different that I would almost say it's only a """fork""" :) ...

as far as I understood the problems with mods like RO, this should be solved in the latest version (4.0.10) ... and, it also supports the DLC

4 minutes ago, Gurki said:

That's because I'm an engineer, not a texture artist ;) The only reason our trusses are textured is because Porkjet did them.

If someone is interested in doing textures for IR them then please message me. I realise with the amount of parts we have that may be quite daunting though, but on the plus side it's not like there's going to be all that many new parts added to the mod.

@Rudolf Meier

I didn't play with RO, I just noticed in CKAN that they release their own version, that's why I'm asking.
But IR flag KJR RO as conflicting so it's fine.

@ZodiusInfuser

No offense intended ! I'm not an artist too :)
But regarding texture release, DDS format is prefered.

Also there is few optimisation that could be done regarding texture quality and memory consumption I think (it totally depends on how unity handle all that texture stuff though, and I didn't made extensive tests).
But from what I found on the internet few month ago when I was chasing for VRAM (and considering that we are stuck with DX9), DXT1/BC1 compression format is prefered for non-transparent textures, DXT5/BC3 otherwise.

Cheers !

No offense intended ! I'm not an artist too :)

None taken!

But regarding texture release, DDS format is prefered.

Yes, we are aware and have already made that change in our internal build. Just doing more things on the plugin side to support Breaking Ground before that gets released.

Edit: Rudolf beat me :P

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Hi, first of all, thanks a lot for the update. The mod Looks awsome, and the new parts are just the ones I was Looking for. But I have some issues. I can't use the parts together. As soon as I Combine two or more Robotics parts they stop working. Am I doing something wrong?

5 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

hi, thanks

yes, KJR Next is needed for IR Next... and, it's so much different that I would almost say it's only a """fork""" :) ...

as far as I understood the problems with mods like RO, this should be solved in the latest version (4.0.10) ... and, it also supports the DLC

Thanks for this. Awesome. Relating to KJR-Next, it doesn't freeze the stock robotic parts like KJR - Continued does, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't reinforce them either. Any plans to make KJR-Next work with stock robotics? And again thank you.

1 minute ago, MadArkael said:

Thanks for this. Awesome. Relating to KJR-Next, it doesn't freeze the stock robotic parts like KJR - Continued does, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't reinforce them either. Any plans to make KJR-Next work with stock robotics? And again thank you.

you mean, to reinforce the stock robotic parts? yes, but as long as Squad doesn't send an event, when they cycle the autostruts, it is impossible to do more than simply ignoring them (I tried a lot to solve that, including to rewrite assembly code at runtime and crazy stuff like that... nothing really worked or was something I wanted to release)

39 minutes ago, jaysnoofy said:

Hi, first of all, thanks a lot for the update. The mod Looks awsome, and the new parts are just the ones I was Looking for. But I have some issues. I can't use the parts together. As soon as I Combine two or more Robotics parts they stop working. Am I doing something wrong?

How odd. Is this in the editor or on the launchpad / runway? And when you say combine, do you mean stack on top of each other? Pictures or a video clip of what you're doing would be useful.

32 minutes ago, MadArkael said:

Edit: I answered all my own questions.

Could be useful for others if you shared how you solved it. We did notice some oddities with symmetry that we'd like to fix in future versions.

20 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

That is quite disappointing after the video, but your offer is very much appreciated! I think I see what you're doing in the MM examples you gave. I'll use that as a guide to see what I can do as time permits (swearing in ceremony for California Bar on Thursday) and if it goes well I'll be glad to share them with you.

All done, will be in the next update. Note that you'll need ModuleManager installed. Not sure yet if we'll bundle it with IR or let players add it themselves.

4Bh82sm.png

52 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Could be useful for others if you shared how you solved it. We did notice some oddities with symmetry that we'd like to fix in future versions.

So to get symmetry to work correctly in the case of inversion, I solved it by inverting one Rotatron and then using the Infernal Robotics toolbar and playing with the group settings. Once you have one side inverted, the limits for both in the toolbar will show up the same then you set hotkeys in the same toolbar, not the action groups. If you try to set limits by right clicking the parts, you're destined to fail. Use the IR toolbar. Only right click to invert.

So, the problem is how inversion works in the editor (not the toolbar) it inverts which direction makes it rotate, not the actual direction of rotation, if that makes sense. If it doesnt let me know and i'll try to explain better.

Edited by MadArkael
Potential Direction for fixing in future update

6 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

All done, will be in the next update. Note that you'll need ModuleManager installed. Not sure yet if we'll bundle it with IR or let players add it themselves.

4Bh82sm.png

Wow amazing work! Truly impressive :) An option for bundling could be an "extras" or something like that in the way that Near Future has optional functions that can be installed at the election of the user.

7 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

How odd. Is this in the editor or on the launchpad / runway? And when you say combine, do you mean stack on top of each other? Pictures or a video clip of what you're doing would be useful.

I have taken two short Clips, I hope it works.

In the first Clip you can see how well it works

In the second Video you see the Problem

Edited by jaysnoofy

1 hour ago, JeffreyCor said:

Wow amazing work! Truly impressive :) An option for bundling could be an "extras" or something like that in the way that Near Future has optional functions that can be installed at the election of the user.

Thanks, that's a good thought!

1 hour ago, jaysnoofy said:

I have taken two short Clips, I hope it works.

In the second Video you see the Problem

That's a weird one. As you can see below, I tried to reproduce it but it worked fine. Thought it may be autostruts but that did not seem to engage. What other mods do you have installed? Do you have KJR by any chance?

mjPyj3l.png

On 6/2/2019 at 2:34 AM, goldenpsp said:

I think the whole point is to leave it so it doesn't need to be updated when KSP updates.

So how about this?  How about we all just deal with whatever @Rudolf Meier decides works best?  Honestly modders are generally more interested in creating than admin work and having this many replies about the subject of the forum post is what drives many to question why they are bothering in the first place.

shesh man i was only giving him a suggestion, sorry you got triggered by that.

1 hour ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Thanks, that's a good thought!

That's a weird one. As you can see below, I tried to reproduce it but it worked fine. Thought it may be autostruts but that did not seem to engage. What other mods do you have installed? Do you have KJR by any chance?

Hi thanks for your help. I had KJR installed and a lot of other mods. I deleted everything and reinstalled KSP only with IR and KJR. Works perfectly now. Seems to have trouble with another mod. I will reinstall every mod, one after another and test where the Problem is.

19 minutes ago, jaysnoofy said:

Hi thanks for your help. I had KJR installed and a lot of other mods. I deleted everything and reinstalled KSP only with IR and KJR. Works perfectly now. Seems to have trouble with another mod. I will reinstall every mod, one after another and test where the Problem is.

Which KJR are you using, Continued or Next? Because IR Next is incompatible with Continued.

I sent a ship in space and I have rotatrons connected to my ship. While I am in the VAB, the rotatrons work fine. Once I am in space, the rotatrons seem to lock up even though the locks are disengaged. Is there something I am doing wrong?