Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

23 minutes ago, warlord13f said:

I sent a ship in space and I have rotatrons connected to my ship. While I am in the VAB, the rotatrons work fine. Once I am in space, the rotatrons seem to lock up even though the locks are disengaged. Is there something I am doing wrong? 

Can you check through this list:

Additionally, are you using uncontrolled rotatrons (the thin ones)?

Seeing a picture of your craft would be useful.

I updated/changed to the KJR Next, but did not work...............I figured out the problem. I have a MOD Auto Strut, which allows you to select the strength of the attached part. I decided to disable the auto strut, and everything worked, the rotatrons were able to rotate just fine. Thank you for the help.

4 minutes ago, warlord13f said:

... a MOD Auto Strut, which ...

the FullAutoStrut? if yes... this one sets autostruts automatically and will cause problems because of the standard ksp bugs with autostruts

but it's not needed to use/set autostruts at all when you have KJR Next installed because KJR Next does the same thing (but not "without thinking" ... it is explicity searching for the ideal position of those struts, which gives better results and hurts the performance less... and the most important, it is not locking robotic parts)

1 hour ago, Daniel Prates said:

Struts in general were always kinda troublesome. KAS had one that was awesome, could be attached by kerbals in EVA... but it had to be deprecated, which is too bad.

Visible ones that you attach in SPH/VAB are not so bad. Issue is with invisible struts that were placed without your knowladge that were placed there. And, yes with KAS when you create/place parts it is always some new force involved, so have to be careful how and when you place parts.

2 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Visible ones that you attach in SPH/VAB are not so bad. Issue is with invisible struts that were placed without your knowladge that were placed there. And, yes with KAS when you create/place parts it is always some new force involved, so have to be careful how and when you place parts.

BTW, KAS now has a substitute for the old attachable strut, which is a telescopic arm. Hehehe for my taste, it looks very good. Very kerbal-like, too. And indeed it requires some care regarding the 'how and where' you place it. 

Hi, lovely revival of the mod :-)

I found a bug with the Long Rail Gantry: it goes Kraken when you try to push beyond a value of -1.0

I am using KSP 1.7.0.2483 (Windows x64) with DirectX3D11, Infernal Robotics 3.0.0, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Next 4.0.10 and TweakScale 2.4.2.0 (but I swear this happens without rescaling anything!)

How to reproduce: create a vessel with a RC-L01(or any root part) and stack a Long Rail Gantry on top, launch, move the rail backwards beyond -1.0

When going forwards, the rail reaches its maximum position normally

If I set a lower limit at -1, the rail behaves properly and no Krakens appear (but the backwards movement is limited to -1 instead of -1.3)

Cheers.

I bet 2 weeks ago you weren't thinking that there'd be people coming here to tell you that IR is better than stock robotics in every way the can think of. I only tried it because they're giving me the addons for free (old timer) and I'll be sticking with IR for all my actuation needs :)

1 hour ago, nmc said:

I found a bug with the Long Rail Gantry: it goes Kraken when you try to push beyond a value of -1.0

Yes, that's one on my list... I'm investigating this one. Thanks for the report and the support for our mod.

56 minutes ago, Darren9 said:

I bet 2 weeks ago you weren't thinking that there'd be people coming here to tell you that IR is better than stock robotics in every way the can think of. I only tried it because they're giving me the addons for free (old timer) and I'll be sticking with IR for all my actuation needs :)

I'm glad you like it :) ... we hoped for this reaction of course. And with the next update it will be even better... I'm working on it and hope to release it very soon.

3 hours ago, Darren9 said:

Hey Darren9, Nice to hear from you, and glad you will be sticking with us :). We're still using your great trailer btw!

Hi @Rudolf Meier and thanks for the reply, would you care to share that list of bugs you are working on? (so that I do not annoy you with known bugs)

As a matter of fact, I have another one: bad conflict with RemoteTech 1.9.2 (latest) in Editor, running KSP 1.7.1.2539 (latest, MH+BG, Windows x64, DirectX3D11)

How to reproduce: Go to Editor, pick a first part, then pick up a RemoteTech antenna (no need to place it, just picking it up from the part list is enough)

This will log:

[LOG 00:00:00.193] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTDataTransmitter::OnLoad
[LOG 00:00:00.193] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Find TRANSMITTER success.
[LOG 00:00:00.193] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Add TRANSMITTER success.

and be immediately followed by 39 occurences of the same exception:

[ERR 00:00:00.193] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class ModuleIRServo_v3:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at InfernalRobotics_v3.Module.ModuleIRMovedPart.InitializePart (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at InfernalRobotics_v3.Module.ModuleIRServo_v3.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 00:00:00.196] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	InfernalRobotics_v3.Module.ModuleIRMovedPart.InitializePart (.Part part)
	InfernalRobotics_v3.Module.ModuleIRServo_v3.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v)
	EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
	RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:AddTransmitter()
	RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:SetState(Boolean)
	RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:OnStart(StartState)
	Part:ModulesOnStart()
	<Start>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Do you know that one? It does not have any visible impact as far as I can notice, except for a bunch of NullRefs in the log. I have no idea whether this is a problem with IR or RemoteTech.

I also have to track down the following bug (unrelated to RemoteTech), please tell me if you know it already: IR servo controls appear duplicated in the IR Editor Window in a number of circumstances (reverting to VAB/SPH, removing and reattaching a servo part, using Ctrl+Z...)

Cheers.

23 hours ago, nmc said:

Hi @Rudolf Meier and thanks for the reply, would you care to share that list of bugs you are working on? (so that I do not annoy you with known bugs)

Do you know that one? It does not have any visible impact as far as I can notice, except for a bunch of NullRefs in the log. I have no idea whether this is a problem with IR or RemoteTech.

I also have to track down the following bug (unrelated to RemoteTech), please tell me if you know it already: IR servo controls appear duplicated in the IR Editor Window in a number of circumstances (reverting to VAB/SPH, removing and reattaching a servo part, using Ctrl+Z...)

hi, thanks for the report... at the moment it's a pretty long list (mainly symmetry things and ui things). The one you mentioned with the NullReferenceExceptions is in a part that I had to modify quite a bit (some initializations were not always that correct when you didn't come from a new construction or newly loaded scene... e.g. reverting to VAB, docking, things like that...). Maybe we will have a short beta period for all those fixes and then we can see if it's better.

Unfortunatelly I don't have the list available to publish it (it's on paper... real paper :) ).

I know of those problems in the editor. I fixed some of them, but I don't know if I got them all.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:21 PM, ZodiusInfuser said:

Hey Darren9, Nice to hear from you, and glad you will be sticking with us :). We're still using your great trailer btw!

Hi ZodiusInfuser, I noticed KerbCam got an update from LinuxGuruGamer so cinematics are back on, I'm sure you'll get a newer trailer at some point. I've learned a bit of modelling and texturing since we last spoke as well, I'll speak to you in the development thread. Thanks for the time and effort you and Rudolf Meier are still putting into this :)

Hmmm,

For some reason when selecting this mod in CKAN I don't have the option to click the "Apply" button on the top of the program to install this mod...

Is there some current issue w CKAN and IR/Next?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Hmmm,

For some reason when selecting this mod in CKAN I don't have the option to click the "Apply" button on the top of the program to install this mod...

Thanks!

Maybe ask the CKAN people?  It is their mod.

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Hmmm,

Thanks!

no, nothing I know off... do you have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued installed? this mod cannot be used together with IR Next. Maybe it's blocking because of that? You need Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Next if you want to use it with IR Next... that's the only idea I have about it

Edit: I tryed it myself and it seems to be the problem... uninstall KJR or KJR Continued, then you can install IR Next and KJR Next

Edited by Rudolf Meier

6 hours ago, smb64 said:

Is there any way to increase the force produced by the motors?  I'd really like to use the joints to flip my rover, but they aren't able to move them

Can you show your craft? Given IR joints are actually stronger than the DLC robotics (from my testing), then it's either a bug or you are expecting too much from them. Are you testing in the gravity you plan to use it on? After all the real-life Canadarm cannot lift itself under earth gravity.

• 4 weeks later...