Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

unfortunately it's on ckan marked as compatible with 'any' version of KSP - since it's not 100% a parts mod (it has functional components), this.. shouldn't be true.  I think this mod definitely needs an update to work properly in 1.9.1.

I've also noticed that with IRNext installed, the stock robotics parts don't work properly either, at least not the telescoping pistons (they only move in the vab/sph, not in flight).  Uninstalling IRNext also fixes this problem.  in 1.9.1.  this all worked fine in 1.8.x

On 11/9/2019 at 2:45 AM, Waz said:

CKAN lists this mod as supporting "any" KSP version. That doesn't seem correct. Is the CKAN data for it maintained by the mod author, or someone else?

Author. (The actual compatibility in CKAN is "1.4.0 and later", but this is shortened to "any" because the column only reflects the upper bound.)

(That's the historical version associated with 3.0.0, since later versions are pre-releases and so not indexed.)

On 4/4/2020 at 9:30 PM, ss8913 said:

unfortunately it's on ckan marked as compatible with 'any' version of KSP - since it's not 100% a parts mod (it has functional components), this.. shouldn't be true.  I think this mod definitely needs an update to work properly in 1.9.1.

@Krzeszny has informed us on the CKAN thread that this .version file is probably wrong and causing problems. I generally prefer to address issues like this upstream (so the automated tools can work normally, and so authors can see how to avoid similar issues with future releases (and so the CKAN team isn't put in the position of deciding on behalf of mod authors "how big of a bug is too big")), but if the author is missing in action, we can apply an override. Is there a community consensus regarding the most recent KSP version in which this mod's 3.0.0 release worked properly?

@HebaruSan, maybe to send Rudolf PM ? In hope that he have configured e-mail alerts when he have something in PM mailbox. IIRC, version idexed on CKAN should work up to KSP version before breaking ground DLC is released. Don't recall exact version, I think it is KSP 1.7.x, but I don't know for sure on top of my head. Latest pre-release version use some of stock DLC features when those were become available, but it it is not indexed on CKAN. Latest version on github should work even in KSP 1.9.x, but I haven't fully tested it, so use that info with a grain of salt. It is confirmed to work with KSP 1.8.x, though.

I hope that little info would help in making finall decision.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:12 AM, RainDreamer said:

Thanks for figuring this out, I was so confused about this problem for a while.

So from what I understand though removing that line doesn't work right now?

No clue. As I said, I have no ability to build stuff for ksp, so all I can do it read the source and make guesses (just like anyone else).

But if you ask me what my guess is, then it is that commenting out that line would work to at least some extent, though I dont know what new bugs might pop up, and I strongly suspect at least some of the weird rotations (the ones that rotates the entire part, and not just the hinge) comes from elsewhere and would remain.

7 hours ago, kcs123 said:

IIRC, version idexed on CKAN should work up to KSP version before breaking ground DLC is released. Don't recall exact version, I think it is KSP 1.7.x, but I don't know for sure on top of my head.

Thanks. Breaking Ground was released with KSP 1.7.1, and we could limit the compatibility to not include that version, but that raises the question of what to do about 1.7.0. It's likely that some or all of the changes made for the DLC would have been included in 1.7.0, including the ones that broke this mod.

Would folks agree with marking this mod as compatible with KSP 1.4–1.6?

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Thanks. Breaking Ground was released with KSP 1.7.1, and we could limit the compatibility to not include that version, but that raises the question of what to do about 1.7.0. It's likely that some or all of the changes made for the DLC would have been included in 1.7.0, including the ones that broke this mod.

If by CKAN version you mean the 'InfernalRoboticsNext' one (there are way too many IR versions there, so important to use the Identifier), I have used it on 1.8, and I think on 1.9 too (don't actually remember, haven't played much 1.9 due to lacking principia)? I don't have the dlc tho.

And on the topic of "how big of a bug is 'too big'", imo that would be "crashes the game on startup/load" and "does not do what its description states it does". But yes, it is probably best if ckan doesn't have to be the judge.

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Now, that you mentioned, I think that somwhere buried in forums Rudolf also mentioned that "official stable" release of IR Next should work in KSP 1.7.1 and above, just not using new API from DLC and without stock sequencer. Key word is "should", because, obviously, some people got issues, but at the same time not providing enough data, log files, pictures, version of KSP and IR mod, etc. to be able for anyone to help them further.

So, in my opinion, "stable" release indexed on CKAN should be safe to be marked as compatible for KSP 1.4.x to 1.7.0. Can't tell much about higher version, because I was already using "pre-release" version in KSP 1.7.1 and higher. I can't tell anything about KSP 1.8.x and 1.9.x, because I was barely able to start those KSP version, not enough for any decent test and opinion.

Also:

Not sure if @ss8913 was using pre-release version of IR Next or jsut version that is indexed by CKAN. If CKAN version was working fine on KSP 1.8.x, than it is max "safe" version. Again, can't tell much from first hand anything about KSP1.8 and above.

Edited by kcs123

2 hours ago, kcs123 said:

"stable" release indexed on CKAN should be safe to be marked as compatible for KSP 1.4.x to 1.7.0.

By sheer luck I was finally able to find some indirect confirmation of that.

oh and... I've an other problem now... I have to compile it differently for <= 1.7 and >= 1.7.1 ... 

Will use 1.7.0 as the upper bound.

This is probably the wrong form to ask on but what is the accepted practice for stowing a shuttle arm.. mine flops all over the place no matter what i try...i like to use the magnet tool so i dont want to do the ole docking port jr trick

21 minutes ago, jono1 said:

This is probably the wrong form to ask on but what is the accepted practice for stowing a shuttle arm.. mine flops all over the place no matter what i try...i like to use the magnet tool so i dont want to do the ole docking port jr trick

There is another mod "InnerLock" that provide parts to be used for things that you are looking for. When you are not using arm, park it and lock it so it does not move on it's own when you don't need it. Before using it, unlock parts provided by InnerLock mod.

that helped out a lot.. now next issue.. the arm mounted in my shuttle with dimensions tweaked to reasonable detail.. causes my shuttle to flip and flop right after booster ignition... i take the arm out and its stable?? is there a way to change the mass of the parts to be more inline with its tweaked size?

5 hours ago, jono1 said:

that helped out a lot.. now next issue.. the arm mounted in my shuttle with dimensions tweaked to reasonable detail.. causes my shuttle to flip and flop right after booster ignition... i take the arm out and its stable?? is there a way to change the mass of the parts to be more inline with its tweaked size?

It is hard to tell, but it sounds like a cliping issue. It may come from same InnerLock mod if nbot used properly. That mod allows to enable collision between certain structural parts. Such collision are good and desired in some cases, like preventing parts going trough hull, but can cause issues if you overlap parts in SPH/VAB with collision enabled between those parts. That might explain phantom or kraken forces you get and flip/flop you describing. My best guess on this, it is hard to tell more without more details. TS use some formula for each scaled part to change it's mass properly. I don't think that your issue comes from TS and mass, but it should be possible to create custom MM patch that change mass in different way for all or certain specific scaled parts. Can't tell you more details about that how exactly to wrote that MM patch, you need to check out MM thread for right syntax and study existing TS patches how those works, so you can know what variables in MM patch you want to change.

1 hour ago, xD-FireStriker said:

i see some discussion about 1.9, Does it work or should i wait for an update?

Easiest way is to try it. But use pre-release version from github. There could be conflict with some other mods, so there is a chance that it will work for some people, but not working for others. Make a backup of KSP and your saved games and try IR if it works for you.

On 4/12/2020 at 3:23 AM, kcs123 said:

Easiest way is to try it. But use pre-release version from github. There could be conflict with some other mods, so there is a chance that it will work for some people, but not working for others. Make a backup of KSP and your saved games and try IR if it works for you.

my experience:

1. the parts show up
2. the control window does not (may be the same issue as the similar problem in Throttle Controlled Avionics?)
3. some of the STOCK robotics parts, like the pistons, do not work with this installed
4. some of the IR parts work, some don't

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

my experience:

1. the parts show up
2. the control window does not (may be the same issue as the similar problem in Throttle Controlled Avionics?)
3. some of the STOCK robotics parts, like the pistons, do not work with this installed
4. some of the IR parts work, some don't

What control panel? You mean the one on the right here (stole image from google)? https://i.imgur.com/ZfCMjyi.jpg (The button to open it is below a button that is labeled 'SEP', which is below KerbalAlarmClock). If so, then that pretty much makes the mod completely unusuable, does it not? So how did you get some parts to work in (4.)?

If that is not what you referred to, and you meant the sequencer tool (the one with graphs and the like) instead, then that is not part of this mod (there exists a mod for that, but I have no idea if it works with '-Next').

21 hours ago, unregistered_user said:

What control panel? You mean the one on the right here (stole image from google)? https://i.imgur.com/ZfCMjyi.jpg (The button to open it is below a button that is labeled 'SEP', which is below KerbalAlarmClock). If so, then that pretty much makes the mod completely unusuable, does it not? So how did you get some parts to work in (4.)?

If that is not what you referred to, and you meant the sequencer tool (the one with graphs and the like) instead, then that is not part of this mod (there exists a mod for that, but I have no idea if it works with '-Next').

I can't get the IR Next Robotic arm to show up on my tab icons post 1.9?

Anyone else not getting the I.R. tab to show to open the controls window?

Edited by Kilo60

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

I can't get the IR Next Robotic arm to show up on my tab icons post 1.9? Anyone else not getting the I.R. tab to show to open the controls window?

Hm, that sounds problematic. iirc you mention that you have the breaking ground DLC, is it possible to try running the game with it disabled? I have the buttons in 1.9.1.2788 (without dlc): https://imgur.com/RS4rITx (in editor, third from left) https://imgur.com/iIc9Gut (in flight, fourth from bottom).

Worth mentioning is that the button only shows up if the craft actually has a (IR-next) robotic part in it (And the panel defaults to closed). I assume you did have one, but might be worth mentioning just-in-case.

1 hour ago, unregistered_user said:

Hm, that sounds problematic. iirc you mention that you have the breaking ground DLC, is it possible to try running the game with it disabled? I have the buttons in 1.9.1.2788 (without dlc): https://imgur.com/RS4rITx (in editor, third from left) https://imgur.com/iIc9Gut (in flight, fourth from bottom).

Worth mentioning is that the button only shows up if the craft actually has a (IR-next) robotic part in it (And the panel defaults to closed). I assume you did have one, but might be worth mentioning just-in-case.

OK its working with the IR parts but not with the Canadarm Arm Mod?

Any Particular reason why the Canadarm won't activate the IR Button?

It used to work on the old IR version pre-Next

Thanks!

On 4/13/2020 at 8:51 PM, unregistered_user said:

On 4/12/2020 at 3:23 AM, kcs123 said:

yes, that's the control panel i'm referring to.  there's no way to access it in 1.9.1 that I can see.

3 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

yes, that's the control panel i'm referring to.  there's no way to access it in 1.9.1 that I can see.

Well, my best guess is that plugin dll is not loaded properly for some reason. That info should be available in log files. IIRC, a lot of plugins was failing to load in KSP 1.8.x and higher. One unproperly plugin may cause other plugins not to load properly either. I think that @linuxgurugamer have dealed a lot of those in mods that he maintain, but I no longer recall exact reasons. It may or may not be the same thing.

26 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Well, my best guess is that plugin dll is not loaded properly for some reason. That info should be available in log files. IIRC, a lot of plugins was failing to load in KSP 1.8.x and higher. One unproperly plugin may cause other plugins not to load properly either. I think that @linuxgurugamer have dealed a lot of those in mods that he maintain, but I no longer recall exact reasons. It may or may not be the same thing.

Why me, I don’t have anything to do with this.

But, as in all cases, a complete log file is essential, without that, any comments are pure guesses

59 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why me, I don’t have anything to do with this.

But, as in all cases, a complete log file is essential, without that, any comments are pure guesses

Not with IR at all, but you are one of most active moders around and I have blured recall that you have encountered something similar in the past. May or may not be the same, hard to guess without logs, though.

5 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Not with IR at all, but you are one of most active moders around and I have blured recall that you have encountered something similar in the past. May or may not be the same, hard to guess without logs, though.

Thanks for the compliment, but @Rudolf Meier is pretty active with this mod