Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

On 3/13/2021 at 10:34 AM, realjuliusPGKC said:

how do i use the parts to dock something to my craft with it attached i cant figure out how like docking a resupply mission to the ISS but in KSP

Are you asking about using some kind of arm to dock a craft? Soyuz -> ISS for example, you would need the arm in space, depends how you'd like to do it. Say your arm is connected to the station, with a grapple node on the end to grab modules. You can connect multiple nodes across crafts, called Multi-Docking when referring to docking ports. Knowing this, you can simply use the arm to maneuver into docking position, and either dock it before releasing the grapple, or release it with 0 velocity near the port and push the station forwards to dock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KallangoVerde said:

Is the InnerLock mod required if I want to reproduce the Canadarm 2 worm movement across the ISS?

No. You need double docking head on candarm, though. I don't know if "magnet" docking port still works or not, but you can use claw or ordinary docking ports too. You will need probe, some batteries and maybe power source in middle section of Candarm to replicate funcionality within game. Threre is some old video about it how someone acomplished it several KSP versions ago. I belive that trick used on that video still works. Can't recall author name that might help you to search for more info.

16 horas atrás, kcs123 disse:

Não. Você precisa de uma cabeça de encaixe dupla no candarm, no entanto. Não sei se a porta de dock "magnética" ainda funciona ou não, mas você também pode usar portas de garra ou comuns. Você precisará de uma sonda, algumas baterias e talvez uma fonte de energia na seção intermediária do Candarm para replicar a funcionalidade dentro do jogo. Há um vídeo antigo sobre como alguém conseguiu isso várias versões do KSP atrás. Eu acredito que o truque usado naquele vídeo ainda funciona. Não consigo me lembrar do nome do autor que pode ajudá-lo a pesquisar mais informações.

The center of the canadarm would be a probe and this would be the root piece from which it would extend, for both sides, the construction of the arm ... like an "arm ship"? That's it?

Google didn't translate well this time and that's what I understood ...

26 minutes ago, KallangoVerde said:

The center of the canadarm would be a probe and this would be the root piece from which it would extend, for both sides, the construction of the arm ... like an "arm ship"? That's it?

Yes, something like that. You need probe in the arm due to docking/undocking on both sides. Without it you may lose control over candarm. And you need electicity for both, probe and hinges and/or other IR parts. There was a bug with IR and this kind of mechanism, when you dock/undock candarm, you may revert orientation on some parts. What you have assigned as "left" rotation, may become "right" or something similar.

Exception is, that such candarm does not need engines, fuel, etc. Like regular craft. But, docking/undocking and merging two crafts in KSP was always a bit buggy, even without IR.

45 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Sim algo assim. Você precisa de uma sonda no braço devido ao encaixe / desencaixe em ambos os lados. Sem ele, você pode perder o controle sobre o candarme. E você precisa de eletricidade para ambos, sonda e dobradiças e / ou outras peças de infravermelho. Havia um bug com IR e este tipo de mecanismo, quando você encaixar / desencaixar o candarm, você pode reverter a orientação em algumas partes. O que você atribuiu como rotação "esquerda" pode se tornar "direita" ou algo semelhante.

A exceção é que tal vela não precisa de motores, combustível, etc. Como embarcações normais. Mas, encaixar / desencaixar e mesclar duas embarcações no KSP sempre foi um pouco problemático, mesmo sem IR.

It's true ... my dream is to see a canadarm Sotck in the original game that can move as easily as the ISS. Setting up a station without a robotic arm is not that cool ... I hope KSP 2 can have that.

I have the game's robotic DLC ... maybe that can help. Thank you for the tips!

10 hours ago, KallangoVerde said:

It's true ... my dream is to see a canadarm Sotck in the original game that can move as easily as the ISS. Setting up a station without a robotic arm is not that cool ... I hope KSP 2 can have that.

I have the game's robotic DLC ... maybe that can help. Thank you for the tips!

I understand you mentioned stock, however, there is a wicked good station arm that comes with a servo programmer so you can set nice clean movements in space for docking parts. For what its worth, you definitely can build a Canadarm with robotics. You're going to need to go through some testing on your own to tune the damping, timings, etc. Default settings for robotics are a little wonky. I have no doubt you can use KAL controllers to program a good docking arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I love your mod. Great work! I downloaded and installed a few days ago and have been tinkering with it. I am running 1.10 with BDB and have run into a semi-weird issue. 

tg0EeEP.jpg 

Does anyone have an idea for the reason that the arms separated from the hinges? They were attached when I landed and for the initial work of unloading a rover. After a save, I came back and it was like this. It was still full functional. Did I goon something up?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

How difficult is it to make mods with robotic parts compatible with IR? The only current Module in the parts config is an MuMechToggle. Could I not just add a IR Module to the part and if so, would anything else need to be added to ensure compatibility?

Thanks.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:12 PM, DaveyJ576 said:

Hello!

I love your mod. Great work! I downloaded and installed a few days ago and have been tinkering with it. I am running 1.10 with BDB and have run into a semi-weird issue. 

Spoiler

tg0EeEP.jpg 

Does anyone have an idea for the reason that the arms separated from the hinges? They were attached when I landed and for the initial work of unloading a rover. After a save, I came back and it was like this. It was still full functional. Did I goon something up?

Thanks!

I've had this happen and, to be frank, it makes me avoid IR parts if I can. I notice it happens when re-entering a scene with a scaled down part, it seems to attach to where it would be if it was full size.

I still use the scissor lift part and some rail parts, don't be offended author. :)

Edited by ElonsMusk

When I place a servo rotatron in 1.10.1, it refuses to rotate, and just sort of jerks about like it's fighting something that's trying to keep it in its original position. I don't have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

1 hour ago, audoh said:

When I place a servo rotatron in 1.10.1, it refuses to rotate, and just sort of jerks about like it's fighting something that's trying to keep it in its original position. I don't have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

Is it autostrutted by accident? All I can think of...

6 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

Is it autostrutted by accident? All I can think of...

Unfortunately I don't think it's that, I enabled advanced tweakables and checked everything like that.

Okay, I'm experimenting a bit more and it seems like the problem is the rotatrons being placed directly on a structural fuselage. If I place them instead on a truss frame attached to the fuselage it's all good.

Edited by audoh
More experimenting with the bug

• 3 weeks later...

any way to reverse which end of a robotic arm is the root part? I'm trying to make a canadarm2 and the mesh base of a part has to be placed facing the root and the rotating end facing away from the root. The issue with this is when you have two LEE on an arm, once the opposite end has been attached to a docking port, this now becomes the root but now the rotating parts are facing the wrong way to move the arm and the nodes become detached from joining parts when you try and rotate a joint. What can I do to over come this? 

12 hours ago, si2504 said:

any way to reverse which end of a robotic arm is the root part? I'm trying to make a canadarm2 and the mesh base of a part has to be placed facing the root and the rotating end facing away from the root. The issue with this is when you have two LEE on an arm, once the opposite end has been attached to a docking port, this now becomes the root but now the rotating parts are facing the wrong way to move the arm and the nodes become detached from joining parts when you try and rotate a joint. What can I do to over come this? 

Technically, I don't think so. Feasibly, what if you put a dock between is, so two 'crafts' become one full arm? This way you can 'flip' a part by making the dock its parent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, adriangm44 said:

How can I build a sun tracking robotic part?

hi... this is already in the code if I remember correctly... maybe I'll restart the development soon...

On 6/5/2021 at 12:02 AM, si2504 said:

IR allows you to do this (at least in the latest version I was working on) ... I'll bring out an update soon... but with IR (maybe an unpublished version, that's something I don't know for sure) you actually can build a Canadarm-2 (and you can walk around with it). I'm not sure if I had some problems or if it was release when I stopped working on this project.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:35 PM, audoh said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's that, I enabled advanced tweakables and checked everything like that.

Okay, I'm experimenting a bit more and it seems like the problem is the rotatrons being placed directly on a structural fuselage. If I place them instead on a truss frame attached to the fuselage it's all good.

there is a debug version of IR that allows you to show all the connections inside the vessel... like this you can easily find out who is strutting down what... and in case of a problem in IR... maybe it can be fixed

2 hours ago, davide96 said:

will this mod work in KSP 1.11???

sure... all I have to do is to completly reinstall my computer and all development tools... this will take some time... then updating to new version and ... I cannot give a time, but it's planned to restart

49 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

sure... all I have to do is to completly reinstall my computer and all development tools... this will take some time... then updating to new version and ... I cannot give a time, but it's planned to restart

thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, ElonsMusk said:

It *should*. I've migrated from .11 to .12 without having to change much, and it included IR and its sequencer.

I can confirm that IR works fine on the latest KSP.  It works with KJR [still] also.  The only issue I have, which goes back years, is that these parts are kind of weak, at least for manipulating 200+ ton cargo containers.  What does help with that though are Quantum Struts.  They take a fair bit of power, but you can turn them on and off, so, your grappling arm can grab the heavy thing and then you toggle the quantum struts ON to stabilize things, and then when you retract it into your ship, have a second set of struts to lock everything solidly in place.