Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I can confirm that IR works fine on the latest KSP.  It works with KJR [still] also.  The only issue I have, which goes back years, is that these parts are kind of weak, at least for manipulating 200+ ton cargo containers.  What does help with that though are Quantum Struts.  They take a fair bit of power, but you can turn them on and off, so, your grappling arm can grab the heavy thing and then you toggle the quantum struts ON to stabilize things, and then when you retract it into your ship, have a second set of struts to lock everything solidly in place.

Issue with weak joints have started when KSP switched to newer Unity game engine version, somwhere between KSP 1.3.x and KSP 1.4.x version. There is more info about it in WIP IR thread:

And more info and explanation in this post:

Good news is that you can play around with joint strength values that are available in IR config files. Better info in this post:

Beside quantum struts mod, there is also InnerLock mod that provide parts with (un)lockable joints. That also gives option to have strong connection when your robotic parts does not need to move and flexibility to move parts when you want to move them.

Has anyone else encountered a problem where if you place hinges or pivots at some odd angle (for example, 30 deg) on aero parts, such as structural wings and wing segments, the hinge or pivot starts moving but then "jams" at some shallow angle? (specifically what I'm finding to be at 27 deg of rotation from 0 in the target position).
I've also found that adding a tweakscaled stock structural panel between the hinge and the aero part seems to fix this.

14 hours ago, SpaceKite said:

Has anyone else encountered a problem where if you place hinges or pivots at some odd angle (for example, 30 deg) on aero parts, such as structural wings and wing segments, the hinge or pivot starts moving but then "jams" at some shallow angle? (specifically what I'm finding to be at 27 deg of rotation from 0 in the target position).
I've also found that adding a tweakscaled stock structural panel between the hinge and the aero part seems to fix this.

Do you have landing gears or landing legs on that craft ? If you have then you can turn on autostrut visualisation, to see if stock autostrut cause issues. I'm only guessing, but it is often a case if you are able to fix issue with placing additional part between robotic parts. And it is currently only known workaround of that issue.

Hi, i was just wondering, what program do you use exactly to modify these files? i have tried both notepad ++ and VSC but neither seems fit to handle the programing language. thanks in advance!

On 7/16/2021 at 8:55 AM, kcs123 said:

Issue with weak joints have started when KSP switched to newer Unity game engine version, somwhere between KSP 1.3.x and KSP 1.4.x version. There is more info about it in WIP IR thread:

And more info and explanation in this post:

Good news is that you can play around with joint strength values that are available in IR config files. Better info in this post:

Beside quantum struts mod, there is also InnerLock mod that provide parts with (un)lockable joints. That also gives option to have strong connection when your robotic parts does not need to move and flexibility to move parts when you want to move them.

3 minutes ago, GreenBoy02 said:

Hi, i was just wondering, what program do you use exactly to modify these files? i have tried both notepad ++ and VSC but neither seems fit to handle the programing language. thanks in advance!

Notepad++. MM patches are nothing but plain TXT file with *.CFG extenstion.  I don't know if anyone developed any more advanced plugin or other tool that would help with MM syntax. I usualy set INI or C++ as language in notepad++ that help to some degree with syntax highlights. It is most helpful with bracket handling, to not miss some closed bracket or having extra one where should not be.

And if you want to modify binary files, there is source code available on github. That require VSC and if I'm not wrong, a lot of plugins also reqiure Unity game engine to properly compile source code in binary DLL files, after you change something.

11 minutes ago, GreenBoy02 said:

What are you tryng to do and what you want to edit ? The CFG files you can use Notepad , notepad ++ just be sure to set the save as cfg if you are talking about the dll file VSC should have worked

Hi i was looking to reinforce the joints of IR thru the MM patch that @kcs123 provided

6 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

What are you tryng to do and what you want to edit ? The CFG files you can use Notepad , notepad ++ just be sure to set the save as cfg if you are talking about the dll file VSC should have worked

Edited by GreenBoy02
writing mistake (no reply context added)

2 hours ago, GreenBoy02 said:

Hi i was looking to reinforce the joints of IR thru the MM patch that @kcs123 provided

For that you only need to save provided content in *.cfg file. Copy-paste MM commands to notepad++ and save that file somewhere in KSP\GameData folder. I usualy create additional folder in Gamedata, something like "ZZZ_MyPatches". That way i know that my custom patches are executed after everything else is finished from regular mods. Put new created file in similar folder and you should be good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 2:45 PM, kcs123 said:

For that you only need to save provided content in *.cfg file. Copy-paste MM commands to notepad++ and save that file somewhere in KSP\GameData folder. I usualy create additional folder in Gamedata, something like "ZZZ_MyPatches". That way i know that my custom patches are executed after everything else is finished from regular mods. Put new created file in similar folder and you should be good.

empirical example - I applied kcs123's patch, and a large+ liftatron can now deadlift a 5m MKS Kontainer full of just about anything, without sagging or breaking.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, ss8913 said:

empirical example - I applied kcs123's patch, and a large+ liftatron can now deadlift a 5m MKS Kontainer full of just about anything, without sagging or breaking.

however, some warnings (and this may be because I'm using WorldStabilizer, but maybe not?)

1. If you have an liftatron facing DOWN from your craft, when you launch the craft, whatever decides where to place the craft on the runway/pad/etc calculates the height of the vessel using the maximum extension of the liftatron - may be true for other parts as well.  Therefore if your liftatron is completely closed/collapsed, the craft spawns in the ground and summons the kraken, so make to go to full extension before launch
2. None of these parts like being on long-term craft/bases.  I have a docking port on my minmus base that can raise/lower on a rail slider.. which worked at first, but every time I reload that base to check on it, the parts get weirder... like moving upward, the connected docking port is now offset 2 meters to the right and 1 above, hanging out in space.. and it gets worse every time I load the base.  Might be WS's fault, might not, I'm not sure. 

Parts all seem to work for single-mission applications however.

5 hours ago, ss8913 said:

however, some warnings (and this may be because I'm using WorldStabilizer, but maybe not?)

1. If you have an liftatron facing DOWN from your craft, when you launch the craft, whatever decides where to place the craft on the runway/pad/etc calculates the height of the vessel using the maximum extension of the liftatron - may be true for other parts as well.  Therefore if your liftatron is completely closed/collapsed, the craft spawns in the ground and summons the kraken, so make to go to full extension before launch
2. None of these parts like being on long-term craft/bases.  I have a docking port on my minmus base that can raise/lower on a rail slider.. which worked at first, but every time I reload that base to check on it, the parts get weirder... like moving upward, the connected docking port is now offset 2 meters to the right and 1 above, hanging out in space.. and it gets worse every time I load the base.  Might be WS's fault, might not, I'm not sure. 

Parts all seem to work for single-mission applications however.

#1 is new to me, I don't recall that I ever have craft created in such way, it is good to know such thing to avoid issues if I need such design.
As for issue #2, have you tried craft with IR parts but without docking ports ? There was issue long, long time ago with old IR plugin that cause drifting of parts after time warp or after revisiting craft after longer period of time. But, AFAIK that was fixed with IR Next. However, stock KSP with new rotating dock port have introduced same or similar drifting issue. Even without IR, stock crafts with new dock ports have issues.

Don't know if issue #2 can be fixed from IR side.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:41 PM, kcs123 said:

#1 is new to me, I don't recall that I ever have craft created in such way, it is good to know such thing to avoid issues if I need such design.
As for issue #2, have you tried craft with IR parts but without docking ports ? There was issue long, long time ago with old IR plugin that cause drifting of parts after time warp or after revisiting craft after longer period of time. But, AFAIK that was fixed with IR Next. However, stock KSP with new rotating dock port have introduced same or similar drifting issue. Even without IR, stock crafts with new dock ports have issues.

Don't know if issue #2 can be fixed from IR side.

the docking ports, even the new ones, work fine on my ship described in #1 above - for a single mission, but there's no need for it to stay out there, that ship can lift a Kontainer or a rover or whatever, fly anywhere and drop it off (or pick something up), then land back at KSC.. so it seems that the main problem is the long-term thing.  Hopefully it can be fixed one way or another, I had to stop using IR years ago when the docking port issue was a major thing, since I honestly don't have any use cases for robotic parts outside of manipulating docking ports with them (what else can they do?) - although.. I'm not sure if the KAS connection ports/winches/resource transfer cables count as docking ports here, for purposes of this discussion?

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I'm not sure if the KAS connection ports/winches/resource transfer cables count as docking ports here, for purposes of this discussion?

I don't recall if KAS was having any of those issues in the past, with exception of winches and cables, if you left winches extracted and revisit craft after longer period of time. New stock rotating docking ports seems to cause issues though. Reported by other people on several other threads and on KSP bug tracker forum. Those reports are not related with IR. Something is messed up within stock KSP code.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, kcs123 said:

Notepad++. MM patches are nothing but plain TXT file with *.CFG extenstion.  I don't know if anyone developed any more advanced plugin or other tool that would help with MM syntax. I usualy set INI or C++ as language in notepad++ that help to some degree with syntax highlights. It is most helpful with bracket handling, to not miss some closed bracket or having extra one where should not be.

And if you want to modify binary files, there is source code available on github. That require VSC and if I'm not wrong, a lot of plugins also reqiure Unity game engine to properly compile source code in binary DLL files, after you change something.

Yes, there are KSP language configs for Notepad++

https://github.com/JadeOfMaar/NPP_KSPlang

or https://github.com/StoneBlue/KSPLanguageforNotePad--

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

can anyone explain why the IR gui is missing with IR and IR next? I installed the IR Sequencer for KSP 1.6 and even the older one for 1.42 - neither of them show ingame (the button I was used to is simply not there).

The parts are there, I can do all the editing stuff, but the control is missing. Trying to control the robotics with shortcuts (angle+ and -) does not work either.

Ideas?

Used mods:

- IR v.3.0.2

- IR Sequencer v.3.0.1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Santiago vega segovia said:

hello, why when I build something I can move just a little and then it kind of hangs and I can't do anything? someone help me????? Thank you!!!

Welcome to forum. First post on this page contains info about how to make IR parts stronger. KJR Next can help with it too. Follow and read linked posts:

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, tonimark said:

is this still being developed? or at least work flawlessly with 1.12.2? or i am force to pay 15 euros to take2interactive(squad)?

It should still work, but hasn't had as much support as it used to.  In my humble opinion the DLC is very much worth the money. These ones have their strengths like more variable parts, but I find the DLC robotics to be more reliable. I've always has issues with more complicated IR builds whereas stock does what I expect it to. Again just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 12:27 PM, ElonsMusk said:

It should still work, but hasn't had as much support as it used to.  In my humble opinion the DLC is very much worth the money. These ones have their strengths like more variable parts, but I find the DLC robotics to be more reliable. I've always has issues with more complicated IR builds whereas stock does what I expect it to. Again just my opinion.

My experience is the opposite. I never had a craft mangled on the savegame after using the TimeWarp on Infernal Robotics, by example.

The DLC models are pretty, and the HAL9000 controller is a must - but I ended up avoiding them at all because I don't want my crafts deformed as I play the game - something that it's happening too  (in a pretty worse way, to tell you the true) with the Docking Ports on KSP 1.12.2 unless you install a workaround or fix from third-parties - some of them having nasty side effects themselves.

Edited by Lisias
Hit Save too soon.