Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

On 12/13/2021 at 1:51 AM, Lisias said:

My experience is the opposite. I never had a craft mangled on the savegame after using the TimeWarp on Infernal Robotics, by example.

The DLC models are pretty, and the HAL9000 controller is a must - but I ended up avoiding them at all because I don't want my crafts deformed as I play the game - something that it's happening too  (in a pretty worse way, to tell you the true) with the Docking Ports on KSP 1.12.2 unless you install a workaround or fix from third-parties - some of them having nasty side effects themselves.

Valid point -- I am much more aware of robotic drift than I was during my time playing with IR, which is a massive, massive, problem with the DLC robotics.

• 3 months later...

I have updated the mod for KSP 1.12.3 ... v3.0.6 is online, it is marked as pre-release, because it has not been tested

but some problems with the new KSP version are already fixed

On 12/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, ElonsMusk said:

Valid point -- I am much more aware of robotic drift than I was during my time playing with IR, which is a massive, massive, problem with the DLC robotics.

IR does have some techniques to work against the drifting of parts... and, it's not a small amount of the code dealing with this... I hope to (finally) release a really good version in the next months... now that I restarted the development

Edited by Rudolf Meier

On 3/22/2022 at 12:32 AM, Rudolf Meier said:

I have updated the mod for KSP 1.12.3 ... v3.0.6 is online, it is marked as pre-release, because it has not been tested

but some problems with the new KSP version are already fixed

A brief report from an initial install and run...

https://github.com/meirumeiru/InfernalRobotics/blob/develop/Resources/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts/Rework_Utility/Probe/Misc/IR_DockingPort/part.cfg

MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortJr/model
	}

...needs changing to...

MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortJr/dockingPortJr
	}

Also of note, a few errors and exceptions on the large and small suspension. Looks like all the module indexes need to be incremented by 1 or move the IR Variants module to the end of the file.

Edit: Just to say I haven't used anything in anger yet. Noticed the update, installed and ran. Spotted some errors and exceptions as I have them log to screen. Briefly glanced at what they were.

Edited by Manwith Noname

9 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

A brief report from an initial install and run...

https://github.com/meirumeiru/InfernalRobotics/blob/develop/Resources/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts/Rework_Utility/Probe/Misc/IR_DockingPort/part.cfg

MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortJr/model
	}

...needs changing to...

MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortJr/dockingPortJr
	}

Also of note, a few errors and exceptions on the large and small suspension. Looks like all the module indexes need to be incremented by 1 or move the IR Variants module to the end of the file.

Edit: Just to say I haven't used anything in anger yet. Noticed the update, installed and ran. Spotted some errors and exceptions as I have them log to screen. Briefly glanced at what they were.

oh yeah... good points... thanks, I will fix those as soon as I have fixed all the small issues in the code...

7 hours ago, OscarsOasisFan said:

Its not showing the toolbar icon.

Welcome to the forums.  I'm sure that someone will have an answer for you.

You'll need to provide more information than that, I'm afraid.   Just staying it's not showing doesn't give anyone much of a chance to help with your issue.  Please try to be more specific and descriptive.  Which icon?  Which toolbar?  What version of KSP and this mod do you have installed?  How did you install the mod, manually or with CKAN?

I would also suggest you read about how to report problems and follow the guidance in this post:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have a weird bug: as soon as I add a robotics part on a vessel, it breaks all other parts that have been scaled with TweakScale. More precisely, attach nodes become misplaced on the scaled parts (but parts already attached on these nodes remain correctly placed).

I can confirm this happens on a clean install of KSP 1.12.3, on which I only add Infernal Robotics v3.0.7 and TweakScale v2.4.6.12 (installed with CKAN). I have tested on linux (debian 11), 64 bits version of KSP.

This happens in the VAB, but only after saving/reloading the vessel. Removing all robotics parts and then saving/reloading the vessel again fixes the issue (even parts that were already scaled work correctly after reloading).

It's easy to reproduce with a minimal setup: in the VAB, just add a fuel tank, scale it with TweakScale, attach any InfernalRobotics part to it, save, reload, and the attachment nodes are now misplaced on the tank. Here is a short video showing it more clearly than a long talk

And if that helps, here is the log

Is this a known issue? I haven't found other reports of this issue.

Edited by Youen

20 hours ago, Youen said:

Hello, I have a weird bug: as soon as I add a robotics part on a vessel, it breaks all other parts that have been scaled with TweakScale. More precisely, attach nodes become misplaced on the scaled parts (but parts already attached on these nodes remain correctly placed).

I can confirm this happens on a clean install of KSP 1.12.3, on which I only add Infernal Robotics v3.0.7 and TweakScale v2.4.6.12 (installed with CKAN). I have tested on linux (debian 11), 64 bits version of KSP.

This happens in the VAB, but only after saving/reloading the vessel. Removing all robotics parts and then saving/reloading the vessel again fixes the issue (even parts that were already scaled work correctly after reloading).

It's easy to reproduce with a minimal setup: in the VAB, just add a fuel tank, scale it with TweakScale, attach any InfernalRobotics part to it, save, reload, and the attachment nodes are now misplaced on the tank. Here is a short video showing it more clearly than a long talk

And if that helps, here is the log

Can't be sure, but on first sight it seems that is new mod interaction issue with TweakScale. IIRC something similar happened recently with some other mods. It might be related or not, but @Lisiasshould be able to tell more about it.

On 5/2/2022 at 6:52 PM, Youen said:

[…]

Yep, Known issue, and theoretically fixed too on KSP-Recall. Just to be sure, if you launch the affected vessel directly into Launch Pad or Runway, the problem manifests itself or not?

If by launching the thing into LP or Runway the problem happens, then it's a new thingy and I need to investigate. Otherwise, it's the old bug from KSP 1.9.0's Editor bitting your SAS and it should not had happening because KSP-Recall should had been able to work around the Editor's bug, preventing TweakScale from borking on bugs data...

On 5/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, kcs123 said:

Can't be sure, but on first sight it seems that is new mod interaction issue with TweakScale. IIRC something similar happened recently with some other mods. It might be related or not, but @Lisiasshould be able to tell more about it.

I'm betting on that KSP >= 1.9.0 Editor bug, but I'm on it to be sure.

— — POST EDIT — — 

Interestingly, I used IR 3.0.1 (the latest one to run on 1.7.3) on KSP 1.9.1, and I could not reproduce the behaviour besides doing exactly what the video shows. Of course, Recall and TweakScale are up to date.

So I tried IR 3.0.1 on KSP 1.12.3, and it worked perfectly too.

OUKEY. Recall and TweakScale were cleared from the problem. Now we need to find who is the real troublemaker.

@Youen is more than probably using the latest IR, 3.0.7, so I'm trying it on the same KSP 1.9.1 test bed I cleared our IR 3.0.1.

On KSP 1.9.1, IR 3.0.7 borked with this exception

Spoiler
[EXC 16:21:29.900] InvalidOperationException: Request aborted
        UnityEngine.Networking.DownloadHandler.GetCheckedDownloader[T] (UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest www) (at <acff92b8d2fa49178dfd6c9eff287a14>:0)
        UnityEngine.Networking.DownloadHandlerAssetBundle.GetContent (UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest www) (at <e5c976dedc5a4279b3287d6263aa093d>:0)
        InfernalRobotics_v3.Gui.UIAssetsLoader+<LoadBundle>d__14.MoveNext () (at <87055e31f94b42dba40ee39e981a24ab>:0)
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <7d9ec060e791409ab3eb85c61e312ed6>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

So I moved directly into 1.12.3 with IR 3.0.7. AND YES, the problem was reproduced.

So, to be absolutely sure, I reverted back to IR 3.0.1 and redid the test. Unsurprisingly, it worked fine again.

So I conclude it's a bug on IR 3.0.7 , probably introduced on IR 3.0.6 - it was a huge change set No!! IR 3.0.6 works fine too!!!

— — — 

@Youen, I suggest you downgrade to 3.0.6 if possible until @Rudolf Meier can check and fix this!

Cheers!

Edited by Lisias
Post edit

On 5/2/2022 at 11:39 PM, TruthfulGnome said:

Having the same issue as the other dude, when you place an IR part the IR toolbar icon is supposed to pop up and it doesn't for me. I am on 1.11.1, installed it off of github, using V3.0.7

I haven't tested this with <1.12. This may be the cause for what you see.

The reason for all this is that KSP moved to an other Unit version. That's why IR 3.0.7 has been compiled against 1.12 and Unity 2019.4.18f1.

I first thought about building and testing it for earlier versions too. But I then I saw that even RO moved to 1.12 and I thought, nobody would need such a version :/.

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

On KSP 1.9.1, IR 3.0.7 borked with this exception

Reveal hidden contents
[EXC 16:21:29.900] InvalidOperationException: Request aborted
        UnityEngine.Networking.DownloadHandler.GetCheckedDownloader[T] (UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest www) (at <acff92b8d2fa49178dfd6c9eff287a14>:0)
        UnityEngine.Networking.DownloadHandlerAssetBundle.GetContent (UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest www) (at <e5c976dedc5a4279b3287d6263aa093d>:0)
        InfernalRobotics_v3.Gui.UIAssetsLoader+<LoadBundle>d__14.MoveNext () (at <87055e31f94b42dba40ee39e981a24ab>:0)
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <7d9ec060e791409ab3eb85c61e312ed6>:0)
        KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Yes... Unity version upgrade of KSP 1.12 (or an earlier upgrade since 1.8) ... that's the problem here.

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

So I moved directly into 1.12.3 with IR 3.0.7. AND YES, the problem was reproduced.

So, to be absolutely sure, I reverted back to IR 3.0.1 and redid the test. Unsurprisingly, it worked fine again.

So I conclude it's a bug on IR 3.0.7 , probably introduced on IR 3.0.6 - it was a huge change set No!! IR 3.0.6 works fine too!!!

— — — 

@Youen, I suggest you downgrade to 3.0.6 if possible until @Rudolf Meier can check and fix this!

Interesting, since... 3.0.6 and 3.0.7 are almost identical. I did change almost nothing.

But... of course I'm using this part of TweakScale (Scale_Redist.dll)... and I don't know if this could cause conflicts with the "real" TweakScale... its a pretty old file.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Thanks a lot for your testing! I have installed IR 3.0.6 (by hand because CKAN does not know this version) and, as you've found out, this solved the problem :-) I've noticed however that I can't scale actuators any more, don't know if that was a feature introduced in 3.0.7. Not a big problem anyway.

I can finally put the final touch on my Moon mission :-) This mod rocks!

20 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

I'm using this part of TweakScale (Scale_Redist.dll)... and I don't know if this could cause conflicts with the "real" TweakScale... its a pretty old file.

CKAN installs a file 999_Scale_Redist.dll at the root of GameData, and Infernal Robotics also has a (different) version in its own folder. Don't know which one is used in the end, also don't know if that was changed in 3.0.7? There must be some change in 3.0.7 that triggers the issue.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

But... of course I'm using this part of TweakScale (Scale_Redist.dll)... and I don't know if this could cause conflicts with the "real" TweakScale... its a pretty old file.

It's a "Contract" interface between TweakScale and Modules willing to handle the scaling themselves instead of using a Scale Exponent. It's the same for years, and in the event I need to update the Interface, the current Interface will be still there to keep backwards compatibility.

Having multiple DLLs with the same feature was never a good idea - it was not on Windows on the "good old times", it's not nowadays. But since we don't have on this landscape a mechanism to safely maintain shared libraries, I had to keep a copy of the Scale_Redist directly on GameData to be absolutely sure this copy will be the first KSP will load and use - from 1.8.0 to nowadays, all the other copies are short-circuited to the first one! This can make things extremely nasty to diagnose if someone shoves a changed Interface on the system - since the need to be the first to be loaded.

In a way or another, I removed the Scale_Redist.dll from IR for the tests (MM Watch Dog barked on me, as it is keeping a look on these duplicates for me nowadays).

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Interesting, since... 3.0.6 and 3.0.7 are almost identical. I did change almost nothing.

Yep, I almost didn't test it, because I was pretty sure 3.0.6 would be the troublemaker - but, as we can see… :) 

I also gave a peek on the commits, and found nothing obvious on them. It may be something subtle that changed the order of some event. Gladly it's only 3 commits, so worst case will be 3 compilations tests max to see where things broke. 

1 hour ago, Youen said:

CKAN installs a file 999_Scale_Redist.dll at the root of GameData, and Infernal Robotics also has a (different) version in its own folder

The first one to be loaded is always the one that ends up being used by everybody - being the reason I put it on the GameData the way I did. All the duplicates will be short-circuited as they were loaded from this first one. So, definitively, this is not the problem - and since MM Watch Dog barks on me every time it finds a duplicate, I removed it anyway before testing.

1 hour ago, Youen said:

<…> This mod rocks!

Big time!!! :) 

Hey,

I'm getting this repeating log spam, when I try to quit the game (KSP 1.12.3):

Spoiler

(Filename: <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d> Line: 0)

Exception handling event onVesselDestroy in class ControllerFlight:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FlightGlobals.get_Vessels () [0x00005] in <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0
  at InfernalRobotics_v3.Command.Controller.RebuildServoGroupsFlight () [0x00150] in <87055e31f94b42dba40ee39e981a24ab>:0
  at InfernalRobotics_v3.Command.Controller.OnVesselUnloaded (Vessel v) [0x00016] in <87055e31f94b42dba40ee39e981a24ab>:0
  at EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) [0x000b0] in <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0  
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FlightGlobals.get_Vessels () [0x00005] in <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0
  at InfernalRobotics_v3.Command.Controller.RebuildServoGroupsFlight () [0x00150] in <87055e31f94b42dba40ee39e981a24ab>:0
  at InfernalRobotics_v3.Command.Controller.OnVesselUnloaded (Vessel v) [0x00016] in <87055e31f94b42dba40ee39e981a24ab>:0
  at EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) [0x000b0] in <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
Vessel:OnDestroy()

The game than freezes, but doesn't close, even after 1 hour.

Here are the logs: https://tancredi.nl/logs.zip

Can somebody please help me?

Edited by N3N

On 5/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, N3N said:

Hey,

I'm getting this repeating log spam, when I try to quit the game (KSP 1.12.3):

Hide contents

Exception handling event onVesselDestroy in class ControllerFlight:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
Vessel:OnDestroy()

The game than freezes, but doesn't close, even after 1 hour.

Here are the logs: https://tancredi.nl/logs.zip

Can somebody please help me?

thanks for the report, I will investigate this

Hello, is this mod supposed to be compatible with RO/RP1? I'm trying to install it from CKAN but it says it's conflicting with KerbalJointReinforcementContinued (installed automatically by CKAN with RO).

Should I drop KerbalJointReinforcementContinued and install IR Next? I'm afraid this would break my installation of the whole game.

My guess is if I try manual installation the result will be of little help in making the situation any better.

Thank you for whoever can help this out!

1 hour ago, Antares777 said:

Hello, is this mod supposed to be compatible with RO/RP1? I'm trying to install it from CKAN but it says it's conflicting with KerbalJointReinforcementContinued (installed automatically by CKAN with RO).

Should I drop KerbalJointReinforcementContinued and install IR Next? I'm afraid this would break my installation of the whole game.

My guess is if I try manual installation the result will be of little help in making the situation any better.

Thank you for whoever can help this out!

You can use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement NEXT instead (Also works better IMO), practically is the same as KJRC so you wont miss anything. Though I don't know if it will break something with RO/RP-1, it shouldn't