Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

On 5/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, Forked Camphor said:

You can use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement NEXT instead (Also works better IMO), practically is the same as KJRC so you wont miss anything. Though I don't know if it will break something with RO/RP-1, it shouldn't

that's right... it should work with RO... I never got any feedback reporting problems (for both ... KJR Next and IR Next)

7 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

that's right... it should work with RO... I never got any feedback reporting problems (for both ... KJR Next and IR Next)

My experience tells that usually is the other way around the problem. See KSP-Recall developments on a problem on initialising the parts' attachment nodes on some 3rd party add'ons.

Edited by Lisias
removing a not so useful statement.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting log spam while a PAW for any IR robotic part is open, in the editor or flight:

ItemPrefab for control type 'UI_FloatEditEx' not found. 

The parts seem to work normally otherwise. Is this a known issue, or do I need to do a proper investigation?

Edit: just tested with only IR installed, and it would seem I'm missing all the float edit fields in my main game (funny that). Eg Force, Acceleration, Max Speed, and Min and Max limits, all don't show up in my main game. And just adding in KSPCommunityFixes makes it start again. Not sure what side it needs to be fixed on though.

Log in case it's useful: https://gist.github.com/Rodg88/a689bf8f53f445238d666bbfcb196e2c

Edited by Rodger

On 5/26/2022 at 6:46 AM, Rodger said:

Edit: just tested with only IR installed, and it would seem I'm missing all the float edit fields in my main game (funny that). Eg Force, Acceleration, Max Speed, and Min and Max limits, all don't show up in my main game. And just adding in KSPCommunityFixes makes it start again. Not sure what side it needs to be fixed on though.

The issue is that IR tries to copy the stock FloatEdit control prefab to create a custom version of it, but it doesn't find it because KSPCF replace it with a derived type (because it add support for numeric input to the stock control)
This could likely be fixed by a one line change in IR, but I will look if I can change how the KSPCF patch work to avoid this.

• 7 months later...

IR - Next v3.0.7

KSP v1.12.4.3187

I'm using Slidertron rails to give greater range and levelling capability for attached LTR-1 landing legs on uneven terrain. I haven't gotten the kOS auto-levelling script to work yet so I'm extending/retracting them manually with Action Groups. Unfortunately, sometimes (50/50 chance loading the same save file) the rails are resetting to their default unextended state on scene load. Any idea why? Mod conflict (list below)? Something else? (I'll save the log next time it happens.)

Spoiler

000_AT_Utils
000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_Harmony
000_TexturesUnlimited
000_Toolbar
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
002_CommunityPartsTitles
999_KSP-Recall
AdjustableModPanel
AdjustmentTool
AllYAll
AntennaHelper
AquilaEnterprises
ARPIcons
ASET
Astrogator
AstronomersVisualPack
AutoHibernate
AutoQuickSaveSystem
AviationLights
B9PartSwitch
BetterBurnTime
BetterCrewAssignment
BetterKerbol
BetterKerbolRescale
BetterLoadSaveGame
BetterOrderPartsNumbered
BetterTimeWarp
BurstAtomicThrustModule
Bydysawd
CameraFocusChanger
Chatterer
ChromaWorks
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityDeltaVMaps
CommunityResourcePack
ConformalDecals
ConstantTWR
CrewLight
CriticalTemperatureGauge
CTTP
DatedQuickSaves
Diazo
DistantObject
DockingCamKURS
DockRotate
DraggableAltimeter
DraggableControls
DraggableNavball
DynamicBatteryStorage
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
EVAEnhancementsContinued
EvaFollower
ExperimentTracker
ExtraDockingPorts
Firespitter
FlagRotate
FMRS
FP_DPSoundFX
FreeLaunchClamps
FruitKocktail
GravityTurn
IDFlags
IndicatorLights
IndicatorLightsCommunityExtensions
JSI
KAS
KeepItStraight
KerbalChangelog
KerbalFoundries
KerbalImprovedSaveSystem
KerbalInventoryForAll
KerbalJointReinforcement
KGEx
KIS
Kopernicus
kOS
KSP-AVC
KSPCommunityFixes
KSPWheel
KSP_PartVolume
LandingHeight
MagiCore
MagicSmokeIndustries
ManeuverNodeEvolved
ManeuverQueue
MechJeb2
MechJebForAll
MK1CabinHatch
Mk2Expansion
Mk3Expansion
ModActions
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleAnimateGenericEffects
NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicatorCE
NavyFish
Nereid
NightShift
OrbitalTug
Parallax
Parallax_StockTextures
ParkingBrake
PartAngleDisplay
PartCommanderContinued
PartWizard
PatchManager
PAWRangeBuff
PhantomAerospace
PlanetInfoPlus
PlanetShine
PoodsSkyboxes
PreciseNode
QuantumStrutsContinued
QuickMods
RCSBuildAid
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
RealTimeClock2
ReCoupler
RecoveryController
ReentryParticleEffectRenewed
RemoteTech
ResourceMonitors
ReStock
ReStockPlus
RestockRigidLegs
RocketSoundEnhancement
RocketSoundEnhancementDefault
RSSDateTime
SCANsat
Scatterer
ScattererAtmosphereCache
ScienceAlert
ScienceLabInfo
Shabby
ShipEffectsContinued
ShipManifest
Sigma
SimpleRepaint
SituationModuleInfo
SlingShotter
SmartParts
SmokeScreen
SOS
SpaceTuxLibrary
SpeedUnitAnnex
Stock folder: Squad
StageRecovery
StationKeeping
StockDefaultSettings
StockWaterfallEffects
StoreMyReports
SurfaceLights
Targetron
TextureReplacer
ThrottleControlledAvionics
TrackingLights
TrackingStationAmbientlight
TrackingStationEvolved
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
TweakScaleCompanion
UmbraSpaceIndustries
VariantPersist
VesselView
WasdEditorCamera
Waterfall
WaterfallRestock
WaypointManager
WhoAmI
zFinal_FilterExtensions
999_Scale_Redist.dll
KIS-restackibility.cfg.txt
ModuleManager.4.2.2.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
S.A.V.E.dat

Edited by KADC

I found the problem and the solution to my previous post:

It was vessel "bounce" during scene load being too much for my Force setting. Increasing Force to 6 (for this situation on Mun) for each Slidertron "leg" fixed the problem. Now if someone would just find a way to stop scene loading "bounce" from happening in the first place a lot of similar issues would be prevented.

10 hours ago, KADC said:

I found the problem and the solution to my previous post:

It was vessel "bounce" during scene load being too much for my Force setting. Increasing Force to 6 (for this situation on Mun) for each Slidertron "leg" fixed the problem. Now if someone would just find a way to stop scene loading "bounce" from happening in the first place a lot of similar issues would be prevented.

Have you tried WorldStabilizer mod ? Highly recommended.

22 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Have you tried WorldStabilizer mod ? Highly recommended.

I only (mostly) installed mods from the CKAN compatibility list and the most recent version of WorldStabilizer is from KSP v1.8, but I see from the newer WorldStabilizer topic comments it works fine in KSP v1.12 so I'm installing it now. Of course, I would have tried it anyway since you've mentioned it, but it's nice to know others have already tested it's compatible. 

Thanks in advance for the suggestion and (presumably) solution to my random bouncing woes. Hopefully this will fix my Parking Brake disengaging on load problem as well -- my landed mining craft was "walking" itself downhill on scene changes as well as forcing my Slidertrons to retract when it didn't fall over entirely.

I'm having a consistent problem where when I dock my mobile crane to another craft, that the parts will extend/fold all over the place and often into the ground, causing the whole system to launch into the air and be completely busted.

Weirdly, this doesn't happen the first time I dock the crane to another object, it happens the second time I dock to an object and onwards.

It affects basically every part. I thought it was an issue with robotics in general but the DLC robotics don't reproduce this glitch

Loading a save will also result in the same glitch, even if I reset the parts back to their pre-launch position, and using vessel mover will also force these parts into those positions, but placing/dropping the vessel from vessel mover will free the parts and the parts will slowly move back to their original position.

(Image shows one example of what happens)screenshot149.png

3 hours ago, Emperor of Ilve said:

I'm having a consistent problem where when I dock my mobile crane to another craft, that the parts will extend/fold all over the place and often into the ground, causing the whole system to launch into the air and be completely busted.

Weirdly, this doesn't happen the first time I dock the crane to another object, it happens the second time I dock to an object and onwards.

It affects basically every part. I thought it was an issue with robotics in general but the DLC robotics don't reproduce this glitch

Loading a save will also result in the same glitch, even if I reset the parts back to their pre-launch position, and using vessel mover will also force these parts into those positions, but placing/dropping the vessel from vessel mover will free the parts and the parts will slowly move back to their original position.

I have issues with IR that seem related to this. It seems fundamental in some way but I don't know enough to understand: the robotics *really* want to be at their home position. For example say you set a Gantry to Maximum, then pickup that part-- it will reset itself to 0 (Center). Another example is if you pickup an extended piston, it sometimes moves it's "home node" to the "extension node" (again I don't know what these are called :p). You can work around this if you know it's going to happen, but it definitely makes some things that are simple become very complex. It's my only real issue with IR, because otherwise it outperforms Stock Robotics in Force, Stability, Joint Strength, Part Civersity etc. It certainly could be some incompatibility, but I've had these issues since early-early-early IR which makes me think it's just extremely difficult to fix this. Perhaps akin to how difficult it was for Lisias to make TweakScale so well patched.

16 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

I have issues with IR that seem related to this. It seems fundamental in some way but I don't know enough to understand: the robotics *really* want to be at their home position. For example say you set a Gantry to Maximum, then pickup that part-- it will reset itself to 0 (Center). Another example is if you pickup an extended piston, it sometimes moves it's "home node" to the "extension node" (again I don't know what these are called :p). You can work around this if you know it's going to happen, but it definitely makes some things that are simple become very complex. It's my only real issue with IR, because otherwise it outperforms Stock Robotics in Force, Stability, Joint Strength, Part Civersity etc. It certainly could be some incompatibility, but I've had these issues since early-early-early IR which makes me think it's just extremely difficult to fix this. Perhaps akin to how difficult it was for Lisias to make TweakScale so well patched.

interesting... I will try to reproduce this...

if you say "pick up", do you mean "docking" ?

@Emperor of Ilve @ElonsMusk ... I will investigate the problem you reported, but just as a side note... yesterday I did upload a new beta version (3.1.0) to GitHub

v3.1.2 is online

if I won't get bug reports, I will later remove the "pre-release" status

it seems to run stable and has all known bugs fixed... some additional functions that some requested will be added soon

there are also the new modes "rotor" and "linked" and "sun tracking"...

On 1/6/2023 at 10:40 AM, Rudolf Meier said:

v3.1.2 is online

if I won't get bug reports, I will later remove the "pre-release" status

it seems to run stable and has all known bugs fixed... some additional functions that some requested will be added soon

there are also the new modes "rotor" and "linked" and "sun tracking"...

For those with the expansion packs, is it possible to add a check that detects their presence and adds all the IR parts to the stock Robotics category? Would be handy, but obviously not terribly important/crucial. :) I got the same error as stk2008 about multiple versions of scale_redist, perhaps because I have tweakscale installed as well; removing both scale .dlls from IR does not seem to cause problems *if* tweakscale is installed alongside, at least for now...

2 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

For those with the expansion packs, is it possible to add a check that detects their presence and adds all the IR parts to the stock Robotics category? Would be handy, but obviously not terribly important/crucial. :)

That's possible... the only question is, if I should do that. Or if it's better to keep it separated... I'm not sure. Would be interesting to hear what users think.

4 hours ago, stk2008 said:

I get a warning that there is multiple versions of scale.redist because you have a scale.dll file inside this mod.

I am under the impression this should not be the case?

True, shouldn't be the case. I try to solve this.

v3.1.3 is online and on ckan

it is marked as release and it is the next step in kerbal robotics with many new or improved features like sun tracking or improved rotor mode, more precise movements and much more

@AccidentalDisassembly I added an option to use the stock "robotics" category instead of our IR category in the VAB... add "useStockCategory" and set it to "true" in the config.xml if you want to activate this option

@stk2008 the TweakScale problem is also solved now... we don't need this dll anymore

Edited by Rudolf Meier

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

v3.1.3 is online and on ckan

it is marked as release and it is the next step in kerbal robotics with many new or improved features like sun tracking or improved rotor mode, more precise movements and much more

@AccidentalDisassembly I added an option to use the stock "robotics" category instead of our IR category in the VAB... add "useStockCategory" and set it to "true" in the config.xml if you want to activate this option

@stk2008 the TweakScale problem is also solved now... we don't need this dll anymore

Cool, thank you!

@Rudolf Meier

There's is a long standing bug with the scaling of robotics that makes parts attached to them drift out of place after a save-reload. 

Steps to reproduce:

1. Take a robotic part, attach it and rescale it (only affects rescaled parts it seems like). 
2. Take another part and node attach (only nodes drift) it to the robotic part. 
3. Offset the part that you just attached (as far as I know, it only happens with  offset). 
4. Save the craft and reload it. The part will drift closer to the original node position with each save-reload. 

Video demo: https://youtu.be/L8UXHnGJBNw

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g0QnmtEnM9VkaZEKworv1lC4IWE1s5ml
Player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1438mkqMCSKeWgUdjUtFuGBtduh4AwqyE

Also you might want to check out a couple of pages for Kerbal Foundries forum, a fix for a similar node issue on scaled parts was found and fixed. It might help in finding the bug in IF. 
The conversation roughly starts here: 

9 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

this will be in the next version

Oh, that's fantastic. I wanted to report this bug for a long time, but considered this mod abandoned as I didn't see any activity. Good to see it still being actively developed, especially because Squad's robotics can sometimes be a bit unreliable. 

@Rudolf Meier

I've been having a very consistent bug show up will all moving parts within this mod. They always work fine in the vehicle assembly building, but about half the time when it is being used outside of the assembly building the part will get stuck on something and not move to its target position. This has been happening for at least a few months, and happens with basically every moving part I could find, I just happened to use the pivotron in the video. Reloading the save does not fix the bug. Can this be fixed?

Update: Removing kerbal joint reinforcement and rejoining the game does not fix this bug either.

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19xG6f6kCpqBvsAlpO4TbA0fwd8psKyKo/view?usp=share_link

Player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZXnxk7X2nnQbIt45NorUPaLtoRUFD_UD/view?usp=share_link

Video of Bug: https://streamable.com/urnz9r

image.png

Edited by Clayel