Jump to content

Infernal Robotics - Next


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, AnFa said:

I'm running KSP 1.8.1, I have the 2 DLCs, and no matter what I click or set, no a single part from this mod moves. When I go to the "Edit groups" part, and can see the current position, this is what it shows whenever I click to move it (as you will notice, it keeps cycling). They are not locked, they have power connected to them, they are connected directly to the probe core and whenever.

Are you using autostruts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Are you using autostruts?

Negative

EDIT

Here's an interesting thing. In my sandbox save, they work perfectly, but in that science-mode save, the source of the gif, they dont

EDIT 2

It seems something related to my save, because I just made a new science mode save, and they are working perfectly now. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I installed this mod after I started this specific save? Although, the sandbox save also is from prior to the mod.

Edited by AnFa
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AnFa said:

Negative

EDIT

Here's an interesting thing. In my sandbox save, they work perfectly, but in that science-mode save, the source of the gif, they dont

EDIT 2

It seems something related to my save, because I just made a new science mode save, and they are working perfectly now. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I installed this mod after I started this specific save? Although, the sandbox save also is from prior to the mod.

That is very strange and new one. I never even tried science mode game, for me is always sandbox or full career mode on almost hardest settings (I keep ability for quicksaves and reloading mostly to be kraken safe). So, can't tell much about it, but have no idea how that can influence any mod around to behave strange like described. In sandbox and career game I was never have issues with install or uninstall IR. I have oftren upgraded and tested IR mod on same savegame file without issues.

This is something new to keep on mind when comes to bugs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 12:07 AM, AnFa said:

It seems something related to my save, because I just made a new science mode save, and they are working perfectly now. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I installed this mod after I started this specific save? Although, the sandbox save also is from prior to the mod.

 

On 1/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, kcs123 said:

That is very strange and new one. [...]

This is something new to keep on mind when comes to bugs.

This may be related to patches, maybe to a new added Add'On, or maybe one being deleted. I mangled a lot with my dev instalments, and I managed to break my GameDatabase in a way that ended up trashing a savegame - and fixing the GDB later didn't fixed the savegame.

On the 1.4.x era, the GDB wasn't automatically "reapplied" on a living savegame - I know because I learnt my way on modding parts by editing craft files and savegames, and then making a CFG file with the data I mangled (when the result was good, of course). Then I spend some time without doing it again, and on KSP 1.6.1 or 1.7.0 (I don't remember exactly when), that hacks didn't worked as it intended anymore, as KSP started to shove GDB data on stablished craft and savegames on load. I initially though that this would happen when converting a file from the previous KSP version to the new, but even files created with the at the time current KSP version were having this new behaviour.

As a corollary, new changes on the GDB now "refreshes" the craft and savegame files, and if something had misbehave and trashed the GDB, you will see your files being infected by problem on load and being perpetuated on save, and the "infection" will persist after you fix the GDB (by deleting the offending Add'On) - as my previous experience also taught me that once KSP "refreshes" the craft parts with the current GDB, the missing data are inserted with zeroes - and stays there.

@ANFe26, if you can find the time (and the mood), can you make a copy of the "infected" savegame, open it, remove everything from it but the craft with the problem, save it, load it, check if the problem are still there, and then publish it on a file share? Analysing this savegame can hint us about what happened, and once we know what happened, we can try to cook a mitigation measure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I might have found the source of the bug where joints rotate over loads if used (and thus also the deriving bug that lets joints bend outside their constraints after loading vessel). From what I can tell, the issue is line 601 in Module/ModuleIRServo_v3.cs: commandedPosition = -lockPosition;

 From what I can tell, simply removing this line should fix everything. Though I have no environ setup to build ksp projects, so can't test myself.

lockPosition is always 0 (likely because I haven't applied any locks). Commandedposition of the servo - which is always set to 0 on load thanks to that line - along with correction_1 are the two values in save-file that seems to affect servo-position. Say you have a half-hinge (or a hinge constrained to become one), if you activate it and move it to 90 before returning to space-center the save-file reflects this for both commandedposition and correction_1. But on load commandedposition is reset to (and the part and its attached parts are returned to the 0-position), so while correction_1 makes servo unable to rotate  in a positive direction and only allows negative (thinks it is fully at 90), if you do rotate it -90 while it will move correction_1 towards 0, it will move Commandedposition from 0->-90. Which is outside constraints, and often means it rotates into and through the ship (luckily there seem to be no collisions enabled).

While if Commandedposition remains unchanged on load, this issue should not exist, as the parts would likely remain in the angle and position they were on save, and going negative direction would merely return them to their "home-position".

ps: posted a bugreport about the bug a while back, but it was either in another thread, or the moderators failed to approve my post, as I can't seem to find it.

 

edit: tried engaging locks... seems to spaz everything out for some reason? Though it takes a second or two (no need to load crafts, or timewarp).

edit2: aha, so for some reason, a locked servo forces itself to be zeroed (after a couple seconds passed)? Causing spazzes if it wasn't when it was locked.

edit3: seems to be more issues than that tho. Had forgotten that there is a similarly induced bug that rotates the actual part too, not just zeroing its commandedposition :/ quicksaving doesnt make it known, but going back and forth between space center seems to sometimes? Or is it when closed ksp and relaunched and resuming the save?

edit4: nope, seems even more strict in its requirements to reproduce. So I can't force my bugged craft to rotate back/a full rotation :/ I guess it is stuck bouncing over minmus surface using active mining drills as impromptu "landing legs".

Edited by unregistered_user
additional stuff
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Another report, albeit rather minor: engaging limits and setting min = max causes spazzing. My guess is either a division by zero, or some conditional logic having issues. Doesn't seem to really cause issues though.

Can also report/verify that the prior reported bugs are at the very least not tied to the mod principia. I just tried making a new save with that mod removed as it sometimes cause weird interaction with mods (or even manual editing of save-files. The Orbit of vessels written in the save is unrelated to the actual orbit and position of the vessel, which is why principia breaks hyperedit). Makes sense it was not the cause this time though, as robotics doesn't affect orbit (only affects parts). In short that means I tested (and verified they remain) the bugs:

  • Engaging locks at 90 (spazzes after a few seconds, as if unsure if it is 0 or 90. Or sometimes just directly cuts to a near-0 angle. My guess it is added weight/struts that causes the spaz)
    • while engaging at 0 works fine, and anything inbetween has a response proportional to the magnitude of the delta to 0
  • setting servos at 90 and going to space-center then back to vessel has the servos returned to 0, except the controller thinking it is at 90 (thus making it possible to go to -90 despite it being a [0,90] servo).
    • While returning to 0 and going back and forth, there is no issue. I mentioned before that it seems to be caused by a line in the code that looks to be an attempt to persist locks.
    • Locking and going back and forth seems to have same issue (cause locks can only be at 0?), except add some weirdness (most likely because the lock isn't exactly at 0).
    • The parts do rotate similar to 3&4 too, but not quite the same. This seems more related to the commandedposition

Couldnt reproduce the weird one from edits 3&4, but that is likely because I haven't figured out the trigger, rather than being caused by principia. Overall I get a feeling that one bug was more of a rare thing, but I can't be sure.

edit: btw, any reason why "issues" is not enabled on the github repo?

Edited by unregistered_user
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 4:26 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

@erendrake - For contributor kOS integration to Infernal Robotics

I have one question: Does the kOS integration really works?

Considering from the quote above IR Next has the kOS support, also the documentation of kOS says that:

Quote

The Infernal Robotics mod has been migrating to Infernal Robotics Next. kOS includes support for IR Next only, and no longer supports re-compiled versions of the original IR.

I have tried using it like described in that documentation, but kOS just throws the errors telling me that IR is not installed.

print ADDONS:IR:AVAILABLE.

and even this code returns False. What i do wrong? Or if the IR API had changed in some way (perhaps renamed addon name, renamed properties or methods or some other undocumented changes), where can i find the new documentation of how to use it now?

KSP 1.9.1, InfernalRobotics Next v3.0.2, kOS v1.2.1.0, Windows 7.

Edited by Scorpion_SK
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Scorpion_SK said:

I have one question: Does the kOS integration really works?

KSP 1.9.1, InfernalRobotics Next v3.0.2, kOS v1.2.1.0, Windows 7.

kOS integration with IR next was created in period when IR next was in heavy development. So, yes, IR API have some changes and while basic kOS support was done at that time, it was experimental and AFAIK it is not finished yet. kOS could still search for old IR plugin instead of IR Next, while script support was probaqbly created. That is my best guess. I would like to see better kOS/IR next integration that would allow even better stuff than it is possible trough stock controler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 5:57 PM, kcs123 said:

kOS integration with IR next was created in period when IR next was in heavy development. So, yes, IR API have some changes and while basic kOS support was done at that time, it was experimental and AFAIK it is not finished yet. kOS could still search for old IR plugin instead of IR Next, while script support was probaqbly created. That is my best guess. I would like to see better kOS/IR next integration that would allow even better stuff than it is possible trough stock controler.

Well, then i have written the issue on KOS GitHub about it. Now, all i can do, is hoping that KOS author can fix the IR support sometime (if it is possible to do from his side only - if the IR API was only changed a little but not removed completely in the current version of IR).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NotABoomer said:

weird tweakscale doesn't to work can someone help me with my issue

 

Check out in TS thread. There is new dependency plugin for latest TS. For users that don't want to use tweakscale at all, there is built in patch in IR that offer all parts in various sizes, so you don't need to use TS at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Check out in TS thread. There is new dependency plugin for latest TS. For users that don't want to use tweakscale at all, there is built in patch in IR that offer all parts in various sizes, so you don't need to use TS at all.

so this patch you telling me... i having difficulty to locate this scale patch i think a quick re-install of the mod might work 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NotABoomer said:

so this patch you telling me... i having difficulty to locate this scale patch i think a quick re-install of the mod might work 

Files should be "MM_IR_rotationalScales.cfg, MM_IR_translationalScales.cfg and MM_IR_utilityScales.cfg". I helped a tiny bit to @ZodiusInfuser while it was created. My current install is a bit of mess between official release and custom/beta patches. Some of patches might nov even be released to public yet. It is being worked on them like 9-10 months ago, don't recall exac date. I think that those are already published, but can't tell for sure. Let me know in PM if you can't find those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Files should be "MM_IR_rotationalScales.cfg, MM_IR_translationalScales.cfg and MM_IR_utilityScales.cfg". I helped a tiny bit to @ZodiusInfuser while it was created. My current install is a bit of mess between official release and custom/beta patches. Some of patches might nov even be released to public yet. It is being worked on them like 9-10 months ago, don't recall exac date. I think that those are already published, but can't tell for sure. Let me know in PM if you can't find those.

Hello again once again no luck couldn't seem to locate those files

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NotABoomer said:

Hello again once again no luck couldn't seem to locate those files

 

Sorry, I thought that those files were already published. I don't know exact reason why they were not. It is not any big secret, but it is not on me to give it in public instead of original author. I have send you PM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of issues I’ve experienced:

Stackable extendatrons having their limit set lower then I set, once I launch the vessel. Eg I set one (scaled to medium-) to .8, the max, but after launch it says the limit is 0.31. On revert to VAB the changed limit value is kept.

Also on revert to VAB the robotics app launcher button doesn’t show up, until I place a new robotic part, and even then it doesn’t list the pre-existing parts in the ir editor window.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 8:32 PM, unregistered_user said:

I think I might have found the source of the bug where joints rotate over loads if used (and thus also the deriving bug that lets joints bend outside their constraints after loading vessel). From what I can tell, the issue is line 601 in Module/ModuleIRServo_v3.cs: commandedPosition = -lockPosition;

 From what I can tell, simply removing this line should fix everything. Though I have no environ setup to build ksp projects, so can't test myself.

lockPosition is always 0 (likely because I haven't applied any locks). Commandedposition of the servo - which is always set to 0 on load thanks to that line - along with correction_1 are the two values in save-file that seems to affect servo-position. Say you have a half-hinge (or a hinge constrained to become one), if you activate it and move it to 90 before returning to space-center the save-file reflects this for both commandedposition and correction_1. But on load commandedposition is reset to (and the part and its attached parts are returned to the 0-position), so while correction_1 makes servo unable to rotate  in a positive direction and only allows negative (thinks it is fully at 90), if you do rotate it -90 while it will move correction_1 towards 0, it will move Commandedposition from 0->-90. Which is outside constraints, and often means it rotates into and through the ship (luckily there seem to be no collisions enabled).

While if Commandedposition remains unchanged on load, this issue should not exist, as the parts would likely remain in the angle and position they were on save, and going negative direction would merely return them to their "home-position".

ps: posted a bugreport about the bug a while back, but it was either in another thread, or the moderators failed to approve my post, as I can't seem to find it.

 

edit: tried engaging locks... seems to spaz everything out for some reason? Though it takes a second or two (no need to load crafts, or timewarp).

edit2: aha, so for some reason, a locked servo forces itself to be zeroed (after a couple seconds passed)? Causing spazzes if it wasn't when it was locked.

edit3: seems to be more issues than that tho. Had forgotten that there is a similarly induced bug that rotates the actual part too, not just zeroing its commandedposition :/ quicksaving doesnt make it known, but going back and forth between space center seems to sometimes? Or is it when closed ksp and relaunched and resuming the save?

edit4: nope, seems even more strict in its requirements to reproduce. So I can't force my bugged craft to rotate back/a full rotation :/ I guess it is stuck bouncing over minmus surface using active mining drills as impromptu "landing legs".

Thanks for figuring this out, I was so confused about this problem for a while.

So from what I understand though removing that line doesn't work right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am unclear on whether or not this mod is officially supported in 1.9.1 - from page 1, and from ckan, it seems like 'yes', but my actual game seems to say 'no':

1. the IR servo window does not appear on either toolbar, cannot access this

2. the extendatrons don't work at all

3. tweakscale I don't think is working with these parts - just saw the post above, will check the tweakscale forums

4. the hinge parts seem really weak.. i put a payload of a couple tons at the end of a chain of them (ie, extend-o-snake? :) ) and i launch the craft and it just flops onto the ground, through the fuselage.. can't hold shape at all

any ideas?  #1 and #2 are the most pressing, for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In career as well as sandbox, the game crashes immedately when I click on the Infernal Robotics tool in the toolbar in SPH (the button that appears at the bottom as soon as I add the first IR part to the vessel).

Outside of the hangar the IR tool works (can move parts, no crash). 

KSP 1.9.1 with Making History DLC, running with -force-d3d12 on Ryzen 3600X CPU, Radeon 5700, 32gb RAM.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just tried without -force-d3d12 and it doesn't crash when clicking the IR tol in SPH. (However now I have the no-water issue with Scatterer again. That was the reason for using d3d12.)

EDIT 2: Same in VAB. Crash with d3d12, not without.

Edited by E805BzRo
added info
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, E805BzRo said:

However now I have the no-water issue with Scatterer again

Scatterer has been updated.

click on the part that says "R-T-B replied to a topic" below.

 

Install it and remove the  -force-d3d12 from your shortcut.

Edited by TheKurgan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 8:49 PM, ss8913 said:

I am unclear on whether or not this mod is officially supported in 1.9.1 - from page 1, and from ckan, it seems like 'yes', but my actual game seems to say 'no':

1. the IR servo window does not appear on either toolbar, cannot access this

2. the extendatrons don't work at all

3. tweakscale I don't think is working with these parts - just saw the post above, will check the tweakscale forums

4. the hinge parts seem really weak.. i put a payload of a couple tons at the end of a chain of them (ie, extend-o-snake? :) ) and i launch the craft and it just flops onto the ground, through the fuselage.. can't hold shape at all

any ideas?  #1 and #2 are the most pressing, for me.

I've got the same problem too. There is no IR editor/servo window and I cannot control parts.

Would be great if anyone had an idea or suggestions of how to fix this for both of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...