[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

11 hours ago, TeddyAglet said:

Hi, just a quick question - when Kopernicus updates (or if I decide to downgrade to 1.7.3) would it be possible for me to use my old, non-OPM saves (which have nothing orbiting Eeloo) once I install this? 

Simply put, is it save-safe?

Simply put, yes. Only vessels that already exist in the SOI of Eeloo are affected by installing this mod and if you just happen to have any vessels really far out from the Sun that by the tiniest chance exist within the SOI space of any of the new bodies that are added, then they will be too... although rediculously unlikely.

OPM 2.2.5 should still work fine with the updated Kopernicus in 1.8.1 and it's probably time I get to work on something akin to an OPM 3.0 update or something.

-----------------------------------

Anyhow, v2.2.6 has just been released. Hardly anything changed, just a version bump to show as compatible with 1.8.* and deprecated support for Antenna Range and ClassicStockResources as their is no longer uptake.

Edited by Poodmund

Thanks @Poodmund for keeping this going so it can update quickly with the Kopernicus update.  This give me the Happeeee!  I can finally start my 1.8.1 career - been wanting to start from scratch once all this came out and got to a stable point.  I have a feeling I'm going to be on 1.8.1 for quite a while, and thats fine by me now that my vital addons are there (Kopernicus + OPM and the constellation of apps that work nicely with them).

12 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

Is there any special reason that JNSQ shows conflict with this mod in CKAN?

Because JNSQ is not made to work with OPM.  They are at two entirely different scales and will not fit together (they overlap).  Also JNSQ has some outer planets of its own.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place, apologies if it isn't. I've been working on updating Sigma's OPM Tilt for my own save (it just requires a bit of config editing to update it for current versions of Kopernicus) but I'm having difficulty opening the biome maps of bodies for some reason. All the other texture files load fine. Whenever I try to load them, the program either throws an error or just gives me a solid black image. I've used a couple of DDS loader programs but none seem to have worked. Am I just being an idiot?

The biome maps are saved in Palette-16 or Palette-256 DDS compression which acts as a pixel-uncompressed format with a clamped 4-bit or 8-bit colour palette, just like a 4-bit or 8-bit GIF texture. Photoshop's DDS plugin supports this format so if you are able to, you should be able to open them in this way just fine. 

For reference I used to play with Urlum being tilted in my playthroughs so it's another thing on my radar for the back burner.

Thanks for the quick reply, though unfortunately I still haven't been able to open any of the biome maps. I've downloaded a couple other planet packs and can open those biome maps so it must be something about how OPM's are saved. I've tried GIMP with the DDS plugin, Paint.net, and DDS Viewer. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get Photoshop because it seems like it's the only thing that can open them.

Granted, I'm a noob at all of this and just starting to dive into modding more than just .cfg files so maybe it's possible with those programs and I just don't know how to load it properly. Or I could just remake a tilted Urlum biome map from scratch instead of trying to modify the current one (which I hope is as easy as I think it should be). It's a learning experience either way :)

EDIT: Hmmm, as it turns out, I can open some of the OPM biome maps. Tekto, Slate, and Wal work, none of the others do. Those were probably textured early on with a different save format.

Edited by Varses

1 hour ago, Varses said:

Thanks for the quick reply, though unfortunately I still haven't been able to open any of the biome maps. I've downloaded a couple other planet packs and can open those biome maps so it must be something about how OPM's are saved. I've tried GIMP with the DDS plugin, Paint.net, and DDS Viewer. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get Photoshop because it seems like it's the only thing that can open them.

Granted, I'm a noob at all of this and just starting to dive into modding more than just .cfg files so maybe it's possible with those programs and I just don't know how to load it properly. Or I could just remake a tilted Urlum biome map from scratch instead of trying to modify the current one (which I hope is as easy as I think it should be). It's a learning experience either way :)

EDIT: Hmmm, as it turns out, I can open some of the OPM biome maps. Tekto, Slate, and Wal work, none of the others do. Those were probably textured early on with a different save format.

All of the biome maps were remade by myself in v2.2.2 and they won't open in GIMP, Paint.net or DDS Viewer because of the reason that I stated in my previous post. They use a specific DDS compression that Photoshops DDS plugin provides but I do not think the other programs do. Tekto, Slate and Wal's texture files open in those programs because those 3 maps are 8-bit as the bodies have over 16 biomes. All the other maps are 4-bit, which seems as though is unsupported for your software.

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

All of the biome maps were remade by myself in v2.2.2 and they won't open in GIMP, Paint.net or DDS Viewer because of the reason that I stated in my previous post. They use a specific DDS compression that Photoshops DDS plugin provides but I do not think the other programs do. Tekto, Slate and Wal's texture files open in those programs because those 3 maps are 8-bit as the bodies have over 16 biomes. All the other maps are 4-bit, which seems as though is unsupported for your software.

That's incredibly annoying, Photoshop is an extremely expensive program that many can't afford. Could you convert them into another DDS format for the next release?

1 hour ago, coyotesfrontier said:

That's incredibly annoying, Photoshop is an extremely expensive program that many can't afford. Could you convert them into another DDS format for the next release?

They work in game. What's the issue?

EDIT: In the Palette-16 format they have a filesize of 4MB per biome map, if I make them 8.8.8 uncompressed they increase to 24MB each. This is the exact reason why the Palette DDS format compatibility was added to Kopernicus, so the biome map size could be reduced by a factor of 6 in this case.

EDIT EDIT: To be clear, I'd rather optimise the mod for players rather than people deconstructing the mod. I don't mean that maliciously, its how I got involved with modding but at the end of the day the mod is intended to be played. I hope that's appreciated.

Edited by Poodmund

1 hour ago, coyotesfrontier said:

The last of Poodmund's concerns should be whether or not somebody else can open his textures.

2 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

I can open them with Preview, built-in to the system.

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

EDIT EDIT: To be clear, I'd rather optimise the mod for players rather than people deconstructing the mod. I don't mean that maliciously, its how I got involved with modding but at the end of the day the mod is intended to be played. I hope that's appreciated.

It's definitely appreciated, thanks for the help anyway. I think I'll end up just making new textures anyway since it seems like it's easier (at least for my limited photoshop skills) than undoing the stretching around the poles and rotating everything, etc.

To answer @darwinpatrick,  I want to open them up because I'm trying to update the OPM Tilt addon which tilts Urlum by 90 degrees to be similar to Uranus. Because you can't actually tilt the axis for real (kerbal only supports bodies with a axis that's straight vertical) you have to rotate the textures by 90 degrees to sort of fake it. And then you have to do that with all the textures for a body including the biomes and normal maps and such. That's why I want to open them. But again, I think I'll just remake them at some point (it's on my ever-growing list of projects). Cheers :)

joue2I3.png

There is some graphic/terrain glitches on Nisse's poles. ( running w/ astromers visual pack but i dont think it is the cause )

PS After landing on Hale I can't load up the save ;_;

Also if you land on Ovok it does a simmilar thing but you explode if you time were near the surface

Edited by Astatine85

• 3 weeks later...

I want to extend my gratitude to the creators of this mod. I just visited one of the smaller planetary systems and I still can't believe how masterfully it is done. From detailed and interesting, yet realistically crafted terrain all the way down to witty descriptions of science measurements. Thank you! I cannot wait to visit other planets and their moons. :prograde:

Edited by Aelipse

Is Nissee orbit plausible? I know, i know, there are many things in KSP not really pausible, but this one looks like a clear  combined center of mass mechanics violation... unless it would be a still accomodating body? Am i wrong?

Anyway, im not complaining! It gives a different orbit type so that enriches the game.

Another thing, what kind of antennae should i need for communacating from Neidon to Kerbin?

And Sarnus-Kerbin? Sorry, i still don't control all the relays stuff.

Regards!

Edited by juvilado

32 minutes ago, juvilado said:

Is Nissee orbit plausible? I know, i know, there are many things in KSP not really pausible, but this one looks like a clear  combined center of mass mechanics violation... unless it would be a still accomodating body? Am i wrong?

Anyway, im not complaining! It gives a different orbit type so that enriches the game.

Another thing, what kind of antennae should i need for communacating from Neidon to Kerbin?

Regards!

Nissee’s orbit is VERY plausible, look at Neptune’s moon Nereid:

395019105.jpg?333

Also, for the antennae, install Custom Barn Kit and upgrade Tracking Station to Level 4. Then, when building your vessel, use two of the most powerful antennae in the game (either two RA-100s or two of the other non-relay antennae (88-88 i am pretty sure)).

Edited by mabdi36

3 minutes ago, mabdi36 said:

lso, for the antennae, install Custom Barn Kit and upgrade Tracking Station to Level 4. Then, when building your vessel, use two of the most powerful antennae in the game (either two RA-100s or two of the other non-relay antennae (88-88 i am pretty sure))

What is Custom Barn Kit for? i don't understand quite well why i need it, thanks!

5 minutes ago, juvilado said:

What is Custom Barn Kit for? i don't understand quite well why i need it, thanks!

Custom barn kit that allows the properties of in game “stuff” to change, for example decreasing building upgrade cost, changing science node costs, and adding new levels to existing buildings. Alone, it will do absolutely nothing, but the developers of OPM have generously added a config which allows the stock antennae to maintain connection, even out at Plock by changing the power, or level of the tracking station.

Tip: take two or even three of the strongest antennae to Plock. Trust me, you will need it.

Edited by mabdi36

3 hours ago, juvilado said:

Regards!

Below is a link to some helpful diagrams to show you what type and how many antennas you require to reach each planet.  For OPM there are two options:  OPM and OPM+JX2.  The OPM chart includes a level 4 DSN (which is what you need Custom Barn Kit for).  The OPM+JX2 chart presumes you are using the JX2 Antenna mod (which provides a powerful new antenna) rather than the level 4 DSN.  Your choice on which option to use.

Edited by OhioBob

On 3/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, OhioBob said:

The last of Poodmund's concerns should be whether or not somebody else can open his textures.

Although it definitely isn't something Poodmund has to do, having the assets in a format that can only be edited with expensive, proprietary software when there is an option to have them in a format that can be easily used in free software does seem to go against the spirit of the Creative Commons license this mod is under. The whole point of the Creative Commons is to increase the amount of work "in the commons" and while legally Poodmund's textures are in the commons, the majority of people can't do anything with them because they don't have Photoshop and can not easily or cheaply obtain it.

Also, this is an amazing mod, thank you so much for maintaining it Poodmund! :D