[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Tho, I assume you've decided on NOT hosting on SpaceDoc for a reason?

Because its on GitHub. GitHub is pretty fast, pretty reliable and has support from one of the wealthiest and most powerful software companies in the world.

7 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Because its on GitHub. GitHub is pretty fast, pretty reliable and has support from one of the wealthiest and most powerful software companies in the world.

Bonus for GitHub - if the author build there, then guaranteed you have the latest and greatest.

Congratulations Ktosiu, as you have requested this feature in OPM I am currently in the process of fulfilling your request. Any more requests?

As a side note, I am changing Sarnus', Urlum's and Neidon's atmospheres for the next release. Their max atmosphere heights will be reducing significantly as their atmospheres extended 100s of km above their surface at incredibly low density amounts i.e. >1kPa so I have curtailed their atmospheric curves to 1) Allow for exospheric resources to exist at lower altitudes without being inside the 'atmosphere' and 2) it should allow users to use higher warp speeds at lower altitudes as you won't be considered to be inside the atmosphere anymore.

38 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Congratulations Ktosiu, as you have requested this feature in OPM I am currently in the process of fulfilling your request.

Are you considering adding Exo resources to the rings?

38 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Any more requests?

If you’re volunteering, Parallax configs  ;p

5 minutes ago, Pepepito said:

Hi guys, i've a little question.

I want to know if the "Cheat Sheets" of Kowgan (https://github.com/Kowgan/ksp_cheat_sheets) dedicated to Outer Planets is up-to-date (Values; Delta-V, Distances...) ?

Thanks for your help. ;)

It shoukdnt have changed the orbital values haven't been altered?

On 2/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, Poodmund said:

As a side note, I am changing Sarnus', Urlum's and Neidon's atmospheres for the next release. Their max atmosphere heights will be reducing significantly as their atmospheres extended 100s of km above their surface at incredibly low density amounts i.e. >1kPa so I have curtailed their atmospheric curves to 1) Allow for exospheric resources to exist at lower altitudes without being inside the 'atmosphere' and 2) it should allow users to use higher warp speeds at lower altitudes as you won't be considered to be inside the atmosphere anymore.

I have ultimately decided against this as there is so much historic material that exists that is based on the pre-existing atmospheric models. To keep the exospheric bands tight'ish to the planetary bodies, similar to Jool, they will start where the atmosphere ends, effectively.

You can see the Space Dust support plans here: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/issues/47

Antiprotons have also been found to exist in the Van Allen Belts around the Earth by the PAMELA module... A Van Allen radiation belt is a zone of energetic charged particles, most of which originate from the solar wind, that are captured by and held around a planet by that planet's magnetic field... Most of the particles that form the belts are thought to come from solar wind and other particles by cosmic rays. By trapping the solar wind, the magnetic field deflects those energetic particles and protects the atmosphere from destruction.

So any body with a magnetic field will have some form of a Van Allen belt which could house antimatter.

37 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

So any body with a magnetic field will have some form of a Van Allen belt which could house antimatter.

Yes it will.  The rate of input from cosmic rays and creation from particle collisions needs to be higher than the rate of destruction by collision with protons.  As the density of anti-protons increases, the rate of collisions will rise and eventually there'll be a steady state.  The present of the magnetic fields and the charge particles spiralling along them will tend to increase the effective mean free path for all particles.  This is all still a good quality vacuum and no real threat to any craft that can take the radiation, but could be detected.

Anyone willing to test Space Dust configs, the first pass has been committed if you wish to download the resource configs manually for testing: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/commit/5eacd3f7f467a77cbefcee1b7cc2f7443b3d7a59

Please leave any feedback here: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/issues/47

EDIT: As a general rough guide for some of the resources, I took Nertea's stock planet abundance values and then factored them as such: originalAbundanceValue * ( newBodyResourceAbundance%byVol / originalBodyResourceAbundance%byVol ) * ( newBodyASLDensity / originalBodyASLDensity ) but it should be noted there were some liberal thoughts as to buffs and/or nerfs here and there for variation and gameplay.

Edited by Poodmund

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Anyone willing to test Space Dust configs, the first pass has been committed if you wish to download the resource configs manually for testing: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/commit/5eacd3f7f467a77cbefcee1b7cc2f7443b3d7a59

Please leave any feedback here: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/issues/47

EDIT: As a general rough guide for some of the resources, I took Nertea's stock planet abundance values and then factored them as such: originalAbundanceValue * ( newBodyResourceAbundance%byVol / originalBodyResourceAbundance%byVol ) * ( newBodyASLDensity / originalBodyASLDensity ) but it should be noted there were some liberal thoughts as to buffs and/or nerfs here and there for variation and gameplay.

I manually edited the changed files and added the new ones on that page into Gamedata>OPM>Resources but for some reason when I tested in game the SD resource bands didn't show up :P. Not sure what I'm missing.

Edit: re-installed OPM, tried putting those MM patches into Spaceddust>Definitions. Still didnt work.

Edited by Apelsin

@ktosiu Yep.

I tested in a new savegame by using the debug menu to place a probe with 3 EDW1N teescopes and 2 scanners into different orbits, and tracking bodies with timewarp. When I re-installed spacedust and opm (removed the new patches) the resource bands started being detected again, it's weird. I'll try again tomorrow.

^ This.

I would prefer it to be included in Final Frontier as an extension of OPM as I don't really have any interest in supporting it but I don't forsee that happening... so at this moment it will just stay as is included in the 'extras' folder in the download.