[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

The World Beyond states it's compatible with OPM.

You'll need a version of KSP that's supported by Kopernicus, the mod that makes planet mods possible. The latest KSP release is not yet supported, so use an older KSP version (obtainable via Steam "Betas" or the KSP store).

Since this requires Kopernicus as a dependency and have to play in 1.71 because of that, will it be possible to play a game in that version of KSP in an alternate directory.  Then when Kopernicus is updated to work with whatever the latest game version is, moving my savegame to that new build with then updated mods?

Edited by jpinard

Out of curiosity, is it possible to manually inject the mod assets/files into the base game without the need for Kopernicus?   I haven't looked at how base KSP has its planet data setup so I'm not sure if everything in OPM can just be inserted into the game (the .bin files in OPM have me concerned). 

I'm not saying I am going to attempt to do this, but I am genuinely curious if it is something that can be done by an end-user. 

Is the mod on CKAN this version?  I can't tell if it's been updated there or not since the hand-off.

Also which planets are supposed to have clouds?

Edited by jpinard

2 hours ago, Sarxis said:

Out of curiosity, is it possible to manually inject the mod assets/files into the base game without the need for Kopernicus?   I haven't looked at how base KSP has its planet data setup so I'm not sure if everything in OPM can just be inserted into the game (the .bin files in OPM have me concerned). 

I'm not saying I am going to attempt to do this, but I am genuinely curious if it is something that can be done by an end-user. 

I am 99.9% sure such a thing wouldn't be possible without a mechanism to "inject it", like a mod such as Kopernicus. Unfortunately, that's the current state of affairs and I doubt there'll ever be a "Create a custom planet" option in stock KSP due to all the things that would go into it (science values, biomes, descriptions, textures, heightmaps etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 6:52 AM, XenonMax said:

I was actually thinking that Neidon could use some more moons, it always felt kinda empty compared to the other gas giants.

I was thinking I could make OPE( Outer Planets expansion) but 1. I don't have the time, 2. I don't know how and 3. I don't think I'm allowed.

Nothing's stopping you making a mod that adds more moons to the OPM planets. But if it were me, I admit I'd think twice before putting something round Neidon. It's out in the sticks as it were, players may be less likely to go there.

Proteus is an interesting moon, being one of the larger bodies in the solar system that's not rounded, it's more like a polyhedron. A Kerbal analogue could be interesting, but it could be relocated. On the other hand an analogue to Neso, Neptune's most distant moon and the most distant of any planet, is probably only really possible around Neidon which I expect has the largest SOI in the system. "Kneso" should get further from Neidon than Moho does from the Sun.

Hello I was having problems with the solar panels. So I thought I would reload Kopernicus. Now I am getting a message stating that this mod is not compatible with version 1.7.3 So is Release 1.7.3-1 the correct one. I did not get this message the first time.

8 hours ago, flekota said:

Hello I was having problems with the solar panels. So I thought I would reload Kopernicus. Now I am getting a message stating that this mod is not compatible with version 1.7.3 So is Release 1.7.3-1 the correct one. I did not get this message the first time.

Heyo, Kopernicus is version-locked and will not work on versions it was not specifically built for. Since OPM uses it as a dependency it effectively means that neither mod works past update 1.7.1. Rest assured, now that 1.7.3 is out there should be a Kopernicus update *sometime* soon, and hopefully OPM will follow not long after.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind, didn't see that the new Kopernicus update was out! W00t! I retract my post and wish you luck with your problem.

Edited by nwillard

44 minutes ago, nwillard said:

Heyo, Kopernicus is version-locked and will not work on versions it was not specifically built for. Since OPM uses it as a dependency it effectively means that neither mod works past update 1.7.1. Rest assured, now that 1.7.3 is out there should be a Kopernicus update *sometime* soon, and hopefully OPM will follow not long after.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind, didn't see that the new Kopernicus update was out! W00t! I retract my post and wish you luck with your problem.

Ya I knew it was a Version-locked I believe It was ok a  couple weeks ago  just was doing things now I have more time I uninstalled and loaded  Everything a week after the new version of Both came out just probably had the panel thing than just didn't go deep enough into playing the game to see that problem, than. so was confused when I tried to reload the Kopernicus that its doing this now

OK after carful research I found the problem and reloaded to correct Kerponics it seams the correct one was sitting on my desktop. so it didn't get replaced I have deleted the old file and the everything is working great as usual. Thanks 

On 7/14/2019 at 4:10 AM, Beetlecat said:

Is v2.2.5 going to get released on GitHub/CKAN? If it's just config changes, I'm not sure which ones to grab, other than just downloading the whole structure from GitHub.

v2.2.5 pushed!

Please note, this new update uses Kopernicus' new OnDemand functionality so if you are using KSP 1.7.0, 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 this update will not work. If on 1.7.*, you will require 1.7.3 as Kopernicus for this version is the only one that supports this new feature.

If using an older version of KSP i.e. 1.3 or 1.4 etc, please use the latest backport version of Kopernicus available.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:01 PM, Poodmund said:

Intelligently handles memory usage with respect to textures and the like. Simply put, it improves performance.

That got my attention - does this mean there's an imminent update to OPM-VO to make the most of this capability?  Sounds like something all the Visual Modders should be jumping at.

Unfortunately this will not affect and performance issues relating to EVE or Scatterer. 

For the time being whilst OPM-VO is not updated, SVE provides visual enhancements for OPM if you are willing to give it a try.