[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

XPCR is still compatible with OPM. ( I'm saying this because I had 1 or 2 people ask)

Also remember that OPE I was talking about? you can make it into a add on and have dwarf planet analogs (Eris, make-make, etc.)

Edited by Shawn Kerman

I'm noticing a number of contracts to the outer three bodies spawn with duration shorter than an instantaneous optimal Hohmann transfer would take. Is KSP doomed to scale this linearly when it isn't supposed to, or is the expectation that inefficient transfers are used?

On 8/19/2019 at 9:02 PM, ExtremeSquared said:

I'm noticing a number of contracts to the outer three bodies spawn with duration shorter than an instantaneous optimal Hohmann transfer would take. Is KSP doomed to scale this linearly when it isn't supposed to, or is the expectation that inefficient transfers are used?

You might try a contract editor. I've never used one, but I think they're out there.

5 hours ago, oversoul said:

You might try a contract editor. I've never used one, but I think they're out there.

I figured it could be an oversight. Honestly, OPM is supposed to be a bit of a difficulty boost in a number of ways, so the idea that you need inefficient high-dV transfers to complete some contracts is not especially far fetched.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

On 8/19/2019 at 9:02 PM, ExtremeSquared said:

Since I am just starting this mod, have you located a solution?

7 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Since I am just starting this mod, have you located a solution?

It's far from game-breaking. Solutions would be to budget the deltaV for a fast transfer,  have ships already staged at the target body, or just know not to accept these contracts.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, ExtremeSquared said:

I figured it could be an oversight. Honestly, OPM is supposed to be a bit of a difficulty boost in a number of ways, so the idea that you need inefficient high-dV transfers to complete some contracts is not especially far fetched.

I think its tied into the Science 'Recovery' Multiplier value for each body as SetDeadlineYears depends on GetContractDestinationWeight which depends on body.scienceValues.RecoveryValue so by changing something like: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/blob/master/GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/Plock.cfg#L35 to a higher number may in fact increase the duration of the contracts upon their generation (will not affect existing contracts).

If you're willing to test this out, then please let me know.

I love love love this mod!  I have a question though.  I'm adding several extra solar systems, near future technologies, and USI life support.  With the Barn changes I can't tell exactly what it's doing.  When the configuration pops up, I see that it's got .6 for a bunch of Kerbal orbit stuff.  Does this mean you're only getting .6 science compared to normal or is it replicating the actual science you'd actually get?  Also, if I add some of the new radio dishes via other mods, should I get rid of the file that increases the distance the default comm dishes broadcast?

Thanks so much for an amazing mod!

15 minutes ago, jpinard said:

@Poodmund - I was wondering what your Barn script does in the game.  Do you get less, more, or the same science for tasks around Kerbin?  In general do you get more or less science for tasks vs. vanilla?

Cheers mate :)

The only thing that OPM does with Custom Barn Kit is to add an addtional level of Tracking Station, the Level 4 Upgrade. All Levels 1 through 3 are kept the same as stock but the Level 4 Upgrade raises the DSN Power from Level 3's 2.5×1011 to the new Level 4's 2.0×1012.

You can see this single Custom Barn Kit patch here: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/blob/master/GameData/OPM/OPM_CommNet.cfg 

OPM does nothing to edit the stock Science rewards anymore (it used to) and all the bodies science reward mutlipliers were revised a while back to value them in line with progression from the stock bodies... so now you can just use the modifier sliders in the options menu to adjust as necessary for your own playthrough.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:46 PM, Poodmund said:

The only thing that OPM does with Custom Barn Kit is to add an addtional level of Tracking Station, the Level 4 Upgrade. All Levels 1 through 3 are kept the same as stock but the Level 4 Upgrade raises the DSN Power from Level 3's 2.5×1011 to the new Level 4's 2.0×1012.

You can see this single Custom Barn Kit patch here: https://github.com/Poodmund/Outer-Planets-Mod/blob/master/GameData/OPM/OPM_CommNet.cfg 

OPM does nothing to edit the stock Science rewards anymore (it used to) and all the bodies science reward mutlipliers were revised a while back to value them in line with progression from the stock bodies... so now you can just use the modifier sliders in the options menu to adjust as necessary for your own playthrough.

Fantastic.  Thanks for replying and filling me in.  I really appreciate that :)

7 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Wow, it's very tall! Is it because of it's low gravity?

Yes, it is principally due to the low gravity.  The low gravity causes the atmosphere to expand because it is under less compression.  But Tekto is also very cold, so that increases the air density and cause the atmosphere to contract.  After considering both gravity and temperature (and molecular weight), we end up with a 95 km atmosphere.

Tekto is a Titan analog.  In real life Titan's atmosphere extends for hundreds of kilometers, so Tekto's atmosphere is not that unusual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Titan#/media/File:Titan's_atmosphere.svg

Edited by OhioBob

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 3:49 AM, juanml82 said:

Question: will Breaking Ground surface features be planned in the future?

I too am very interested in this.

I got an entire mission planned where I would revisit the Outer Planets and collect surface science. But of course there's nothing there yet.
So I tried to fiddle around the configs myself and created a OPM_rocsdef.cfg file where I tried to invoke the Gilly ridgeline but on Tal. Game didn't crash but I also didn't get any Gilly ridgelines on Tal... hmm...

Plot twist: I have no idea how to mod this game :D

Edited by ShadowZone

22 minutes ago, fatfluffycat said:

This is probably a stupid question, but can I use this with my current savegame? I would hate to have to start a new save.

You should be able to add in OPM at any time without it disrupting anything you were doing in the stock system.  The only exception is Eeloo, which OPM moves.  So it you have a spacecraft in route to Eeloo, it will be headed to nowhere once OPM is installed.