[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

On 12/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, OhioBob said:

No, OPM does not work with JNSQ.  The only planet packs, to my knowledge, that have been modified to work with JNSQ are GPP and GEP (all by the same developers).  However, these planet packs are added to the JNSQ universe as secondary star systems.  There is nothing that adds planets to the JNSQ solar system.

That being said, there's no reason configs couldn't be written that would make OPM compatible with JNSQ.  However, JNSQ and OPM really aren't a very good fit stylistically.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, moguy said:

Hello! would like to know if this mod functions (and resizes properly) with JNSQ

Most of the "system packs" that place another star and planets well away from the primary work fine with JNSQ - Extrasolar, Other Worlds, Galaxies Unbound, The World Beyond - looks for "preserves the stock system" or similar language, and check to make sure that the parent body of the mod orbits Kerbol. (rather than the parent body *being* Kerbol)

The usual cautions apply - back up your save first, and if adding to an existing save, make sure you don't have any craft orbiting a body being modified. (or safer yet, no orbiting craft at all) And beware of any planet pack that universally rescales everything - those are almost certainly going to cause problems with JNSQ.

12 minutes ago, panarchist said:

... and check to make sure that the parent body of the mod orbits Kerbol. (rather than the parent body *being* Kerbol)

It must orbit Sun, not Kerbol.  Kerbol is an unofficial name coined by fans of the game, it does not exist in KSP or JNSQ.  The main central body around which everything orbits is named Sun, though it could have a different display name.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, OhioBob said:

No, OPM does not work with JNSQ.  The only planet packs, to my knowledge, that have been modified to work with JNSQ are GPP and GEP (all by the same developers).  However, these planet packs are added to the JNSQ universe as secondary star systems.  There is nothing that adds planets to the JNSQ solar system.

That being said, there's no reason configs couldn't be written that would make OPM compatible with JNSQ.  However, JNSQ and OPM really aren't a very good fit stylistically.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:31 PM, moguy said:

Hello! would like to know if this mod functions (and resizes properly) with JNSQ

@moguy you can't just slap them together and have it work (I mean technically it might, but it'll be a pretty messed up solar system any way you slice it), but you definitely can work things out if you have some knowledge of writing configs and are willing to take time to play around with them a bit. If you don't have any experience, it isn't too bad to learn how to write them either - I've somehow managed to go all the way from barely being able to modify a few small attributes of a part to making an entire tech tree. It just requires a bit of practice - best way to start imo is by looking at already existing config files, in this case probably support patches other planet packs have for each other, to see what's required and what the syntax is.

The hardest part imo isn't actually the planet patching, but rather trying to get good looking visuals on both of them.  I've written up some custom patches myself to replace JNSQ's outer worlds with rescaled OPM worlds, and have gotten visuals working for them all fairly well.  I'd normally love to send u a copy, but I don't think I can share them as it might infringe on JNSQ's license.  I'm thinking about reaching out to the devs at some point in the future to see if there is  a way to share them, as I feel such the resulting planetary system goes nicely with my tech tree, but for the time being I'm leaving things as is. Either way, good luck with your patching, if you chose that road!

Edited by CessnaSkyhawk

21 minutes ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

you can't just slap them together and have it work (I mean technically it might, but it'll be a pretty messed up solar system any way you slice it)

I just wanted to clarify that when I said OPM won't work with JNSQ, I didn't mean that OPM won't load.  OPM will probably load OK if installed with JNSQ, but the OPM planets will be to the wrong scale and their orbits will be intermixed with the JNSQ orbits.  For instance, Sanus will orbit between Dres and Jool, and Urlum will orbit between Jool and Lindor, etc.  It would be a totally screwed up system.  So I suppose it's more accurate to say that OPM won't fit JNSQ.  To get a proper fit, OPM would need to be modified.

14 hours ago, OhioBob said:

It must orbit Sun, not Kerbol.  Kerbol is an unofficial name coined by fans of the game, it does not exist in KSP or JNSQ.  The main central body around which everything orbits is named Sun, though it could have a different display name.

Yes, I was imprecise.

Is it possible to get Sarnus and  Urlum to have ring shadows without Scatterer? I'm not talking about shadows casted onto the planets by the rings, but just the shadows casted by the planet onto the ring

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. There is a config in Stock Visual Enhancements that sets @useNewShader = false for all bodies if scatterer is not installed. Removing that fixed the problem.

Edited by cosekantphi

Is it just me or Tekto with 2.5x Rescale has the surface made of lava, instakilling everything touching down even at 0.1m/s? I first noticed with the Coatl Huygens, then further tested it out, the surface of Tekto on my install seems to be eating anything touching down on it.

I'm having a little trouble using this mod with 1.12.3; the outer planets don't show up after I install it.  I don't know if it's some other mod in the way.  I'll put it on a clean install and get back.

ETA: It must have been some other mod.  I put it on a clean install with only Kopernicus and ModuleManager, and the outer planets showed up.  I'll see if I can determine which mod broke things.

ETA2: I think it was the visual pack I was using (AVP).  SVE seems to be well-behaved, and adding the other mods in without that seems to be going smoothly.

Edited by Nikolai

On 11/5/2021 at 7:19 PM, OhioBob said:

Many mods, and particularly planet packs, don't require updating when KSP updates.  As long as Kopernicus is updated, planet packs should work, so there's usually no need to wait for the authors to release an update or officially announce that it's compatible.  If you want to try a mod, just install it is and see what happens (though it may be a wise precaution to try it in a new game before using it in a current save).

I realize that CKAN may not / is not supported but I'm wondering if the above is true (planet packs not requiring updating with KSP updates), is it possible to designate OPM as "any" with respect to the compatible versions?

Or is there a reason that the compatible versions maintain a version association?

Admittedly, it's a creature-comfort type of request, as manual installation or overriding the compatible versions within CKAN works around this.

Thanks for any replies, and love the mod.

Outer Planets Mod v2.2.10

- Bumped versioning to support up to KSP v1.12.99
- Added Russian localization thanks to Grimmas
- Added preliminary support for Space Dust mod

CKAN will updated in due course and download link is listed in the OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question on issues I actually ran across four years ago and never properly chased: are any of these known glitches? Or can they be caused by me using Hyperedit to planet-hop while checking out the new atmospheres?

Spoiler

Terrain pop-outs

1zhuRlc.png

WmCFD5q.png

Hovering black rocks:

7mt35as.png

I also just recall Slate being a lot more crisp than this

nB3yZFd.png

And now for the cloud glitches:

80HeNOG.png

pLJMqFm.png

exvXmbp.png

lpudhLt.png

g2iA5ZO.png

First four screenshots use nothing but OPM and the rest use Astronomer's pack, although similar effects were observed when installing Pood's+SVE combo. For some reason, Slate and even other airless bodies from OPM seem to be affected. Eeloo gets the same pudgy texture stick as Slate.

Please note the wording of the question at the top - I'll be thankful for a pointer. If getting to the bottom of this requires digging into logs, I might just drop OPM entirely.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:13 AM, SovietGamer said:

is this compatible with parallax?

OPM comes with its own terrain textures pack, so not only are the added planets unlikely to use the new shaders, but something might as well break. Full compatibility requires an actual patch on behalf of OPM authors or a third party.

Edited by DDE

When cheating/Hyperediting yourself to another body, always save and then reload otherwise you will experience terrain/camera issues.

Ensure you have Terrain Detail set to High and Texture Quality set to Full Res

As far as I know, there is no visual pack that is currently configured to work with the recent versions of Scatterer.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:32 AM, theJesuit said:

JNSQ also adds additional planets to extend yhe stock system to mean that OPM may not be quite as needed?

I see what you're saying in terms of there being more than one mod that doesn't simply outright erase the stock system, but 'needed' is perhaps not the best choice of words. The reason they don't fit well together isn't just because of the orbit chaos that would ensue, it's also that they are two very different mods in terms of scope and design. This difference is precisely why I use OPM and have, although I applaud the amazing work, little interest in using JNSQ.

I Found a major problem for outer planet mod installed..when i go EVA on Duna, the entire game crashed...when I removed the outer planet pack alongside the community texture. It works fine again...I suspect Community Texture doesn't work for 1.12.3 anymore...I ahev scatter and Environmental Visual Enhancement mod installed!

Edited by kennyc222

13 hours ago, Poodmund said:

As far as I know, there is no visual pack that is currently configured to work with the recent versions of Scatterer.

Now that's an interesting tidbit that helps along with my different problem (a hemisphere of Laythe being red when using SVE). Gonna look through the versions... as well as follow your procedure when testing with Hyperedit. Not at all surprised it causes issues... mostly surprised how it only causes these issues beyond the orbit of Jool.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, kennyc222 said:

I Found a major problem for outer planet mod installed..when i go EVA on Duna, the entire game crashed...when I removed the outer planet pack alongside the community texture. It works fine again...I suspect Community Texture doesn't work for 1.12.3 anymore...I ahev scatter and Environmental Visual Enhancement mod installed!

Its literally just a folder with textures in. 

What is this? I don't even...

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Its literally just a folder with textures in. 

What is this? I don't even...

You don't even??? that texture is compulsary too to download if i use outer plaent mod... Yeah I suppose it is the texture of that folder

Edited by kennyc222

Hello, I'm coming back to KSP after a while (over six months) and remembering there was an issue with Solar Panels not working properly related to Kopernicus. Specifically, craft in the background wouldn't generate power and batteries would go dry and/or crew could die (using TACLS or Kerbalism, etc.)

I assume this was fixed a while back, or is that still a thing? Reading the last few pages, I'm not specifically seeing solar panels problems.

Anyways, thanks for the confirmation and/or help!

Edited by scottadges

On 1/17/2022 at 9:04 PM, DDE said:

OPM comes with its own terrain textures pack, so not only are the added planets unlikely to use the new shaders, but something might as well break. Full compatibility requires an actual patch on behalf of OPM authors or a third party.

But you should be able to use OPM alongside Parallax, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...