[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

I've been working on some MM patches to help some of the other higher-end antennae available through RemoteTech and Stock so that they can each Plock  (assuming relays have been set up at least up to Jool > Sarnus) but have been pretty lazy about it (using the spreadsheet, but just throwing enough zeros at it and then just using the +PART MM patch on the Giga2 and Comm88-88 with some rescaling. I tried looking online to see if there were any compatibility or configs created by other players but aside from some older (1.2/1.3 era) posts, I couldn't find much that wouldn't require me to just re-write the patches found since the updates to RT needed to be implemented so I thought I'd just ask here if anyone knows of a list of compatibility patches for OPM for RemoteTech (I'm also trying to get Station Science experiments created for OPM planets, but I've never spent much time creating experiment nodes and with a ~16 minute load time it's hard to debug if I miss a closing bracket or some other syntax error). I have a test bench as well, but with my mod folder reaching 10Gb it's hard to tell what other mods I should be testing along with it, but figured with this being one of the larger mods I may be overlooking either some folders that came with the mods in question (RT and Station Science), or some possible user/modder created configs on the forums.

If anyone out there knows of any working or semi-working patches I'd greatly appreciate any feedback. I do understand it'd be easier to run a multiplier through the antenna strengths in a single MM patch that would likely catch all antennas, but I don't think the Apollo's high-gain antenna should be able to reach the edge of the galaxy :P

Thanks in advance!

Edited by shoe7ess

On 1/16/2023 at 2:22 PM, Poodmund said:

The recommendation is to install Custom Barn Kit and then utilise the Level 4 Tracking Station upgrade.

I went with something similar, just without CBK (increased the factor on level 3 through RTs configs) for now. Gives me enough of a challenge and necessity to make relays around a few planets if I want to make it out to Plock without completely making it over-powered (until I start going to the GU galaxies, at which point I'll figure something out). I am working on more high end antennae based on the method I mentioned earlier too, giving them a new pain job, scaling them up, and throwing them in a new tech node through CTT. I swear, I have spent 10x more time modding or tweaking mods for KSP than I have actually playing :D 

Thanks for the suggestion, been awhile since I've had an RO install, thought hadn't even crossed my mind!

You're definitely not playing with OPM at the scale that the mod comes as supplied... I would expect that you're using another mod to change the properties (scale) of your system. If so, please take it up with that mod.

1 hour ago, tmccreight651 said:

Any ideas why the moons of sarnus are larger than their spheres of influence? Have i installed something wrong? https://imgur.com/a/QIOT1ty

The SOIs shown in the picture are the automatically calculated values based on the relative masses of Hale/Ovok and Sarnus. As you've noticed, these are too small, so OPM includes patches that manually override the SOI sizes to be bigger. Your 2.5x rescale mod has somehow disabled these patches or otherwise forgotten to take them into consideration, so they no longer fix the problem.

Try using this Module Manager patch:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[Hale]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%sphereOfInfluence = 102500
		}
	}
	@Body[Ovok]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%sphereOfInfluence = 235000
		}
	}
}

On 1/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, Leganeski said:

The SOIs shown in the picture are the automatically calculated values based on the relative masses of Hale/Ovok and Sarnus. As you've noticed, these are too small, so OPM includes patches that manually override the SOI sizes to be bigger. Your 2.5x rescale mod has somehow disabled these patches or otherwise forgotten to take them into consideration, so they no longer fix the problem.

Try using this Module Manager patch:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[Hale]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%sphereOfInfluence = 102500
		}
	}
	@Body[Ovok]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%sphereOfInfluence = 235000
		}
	}
}

Good suggestion, but it didnt work. both moons are still larger than their SOI's

3 hours ago, tmccreight651 said:

Good suggestion, but it didnt work. both moons are still larger than their SOI's

Are you sure you applied the patch correctly?  You should take the text that Leganeski gave you, save it as a plain text file but with a .cfg extension, and then place the file inside your GameData folder.  I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

I will probably re-post this in the KK forum but figured at least somebody has tried this here. I have searched the thread (and google) to find a way to HomeSwitch from Kerbin to one of the OPM planets (maybe even a moon, not sure yet) after I reach the point in my career that I need to start heading to the GU galaxies. I'd like to create a launch site without ELP which I know is possible with KK (as well as using the Alien Space Program configs/textures as a jumping off point if needed), but not sure where to start. I see a homeworld setting on my KK launch sites through KSCExtended and KerbinSide (not sure if Tundra adds launch sites or just edits them, but I can't find any homeworld settings in the configs so far), so I'd assume I'd just add an OPM planet/moon after I have RT control throughout the system.

If anyone has a config/preset they could share that I'm just overlooking I'd appreciate it. If you'd prefer me to post this in the KK thread I can aim my questions there.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Are you sure you applied the patch correctly?  You should take the text that Leganeski gave you, save it as a plain text file but with a .cfg extension, and then place the file inside your GameData folder.  I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Yeah, i did that. It didnt work. am I supposed to place the .cfg inside the ksp gamedata folder or the Kopernicus gamedata folder?

5 hours ago, tmccreight651 said:

Yeah, i did that. It didnt work. am I supposed to place the .cfg inside the ksp gamedata folder or the Kopernicus gamedata folder?

You're going to have to do what Poodmund said and take up the issue with the maker of whatever rescale mod you're using.  The SOIs shown in your screenshots are actually smaller than what they are in the OPM configs -- Ovok's SOI at normal scale should be 94 km and Hale's 41 km, yet the screenshot shows them as 58 and 16 km.  So clearly something is screwing up the SOIs, making them smaller rather than larger.  This is not an OPM problem.

(edit)

I've figured out what's happening, but I don't know why.  For some reason the sphereOfInfluence parameter is being ignored and you're  getting the KSP computed SOI values for Hale and Ovok.  I suspect this is some sort of a problem with the rescale mod or Sigma Dimensions.  Certainly not an OPM issue.

Edited by OhioBob

On 1/24/2023 at 2:52 PM, OhioBob said:

You're going to have to do what Poodmund said and take up the issue with the maker of whatever rescale mod you're using.  The SOIs shown in your screenshots are actually smaller than what they are in the OPM configs -- Ovok's SOI at normal scale should be 94 km and Hale's 41 km, yet the screenshot shows them as 58 and 16 km.  So clearly something is screwing up the SOIs, making them smaller rather than larger.  This is not an OPM problem.

(edit)

I've figured out what's happening, but I don't know why.  For some reason the sphereOfInfluence parameter is being ignored and you're  getting the KSP computed SOI values for Hale and Ovok.  I suspect this is some sort of a problem with the rescale mod or Sigma Dimensions.  Certainly not an OPM issue.

Thanks for your help, ill take it up with the SigmaDimensions devs.

12 minutes ago, tmccreight651 said:

Thanks for your help, ill take it up with the SigmaDimensions devs.

I doubt you'll get a response.  Sigma88 (maker of all the Sigma mods) hasn't been around for a long time.  As far as I know, he has stopped maintaining all of his mods.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:58 AM, tmccreight651 said:

On 1/23/2023 at 2:12 PM, OhioBob said:

If @tmccreight651 is using the 2.5x Rescale Continued config, then that may be it. That file has CustomSoISize = 0. When =0, Sigma Dimensions multiplies the SOI by the rescale modifier (2.5) rather than  whatever is intended. If CustomSoISize is defined in multiple places, (and/or if the sphereOfInfluence parameter is defined in multiple places for that body) then the behavior will depend on the MM patch load order.

In any case, it's not going to be simple to find the root cause since there are multiple moving parts.

53 minutes ago, panarchist said:

When =0, Sigma Dimensions multiplies the SOI by the rescale modifier (2.5) rather than  whatever is intended.

What doesn't make sense, though, is that the intended multiplier is 2.5! If Sigma Dimensions were working properly, it would look up Hale's sphereOfInfluence parameter, find 41000, and multiply it by 2.5 to get 102500.

However, the picture shows that Hale's SOI is actually 16 km, meaning that sphereOfInfluence ended up not at 102500 but either as the default SOI radius or missing entirely.

59 minutes ago, panarchist said:

then the behavior will depend on the MM patch load order.

Here it gets even more confusing. Hale's sphereOfInfluence parameter is defined at :FOR[OPM], which is before the relevant Sigma Dimensions patch at :FOR[SigDim2]. This means that sphereOfInfluence should already be 41000 by the time Sigma Dimensions gets to it.

The patch in my last comment runs at :FINAL, after Sigma Dimensions has finished entirely, and manually sets sphereOfInfluence to 102500. That didn't work either, so the only possibility left that I can think of is that some other mod, also running at :FINAL, is deleting the parameter for some reason. But that's a really weird thing to do, and I don't know of any mods that would do that.

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

In any case, it's not going to be simple to find the root cause since there are multiple moving parts.

That's for sure. If there were any other rescale mods out there, I would suggest using one of them instead, but Sigma Dimensions seems to be the only one available for OPM. I'm not sure what to do other than reinstalling all of the relevant mods.

13 hours ago, Leganeski said:

However, the picture shows that Hale's SOI is actually 16 km, meaning that sphereOfInfluence ended up not at 102500 but either as the default SOI radius or missing entirely.

16 km is Hale's computed SOI at 2.5x scale.  Likewise, 58 km (as seen in the screenshot) is Ovok's computed SOI at 2.5x scale.  So what is apprently happening is SigmaDimensions is resizing the planets, then the SOIs are being computed using KSP's internal formula.  The sphereOfInfluence parameter is not being used at all.  I have no idea what would cause such a thing to happen.

@tmccreight651, obviously you are using SigmaDimension to do the rescaling, but what configs are you using?  Are you using Rescale, Rescale Continued, your own custom configs, or something else?

(edit)

I just ran a test in a minimum install with OPM and SigmaDimensions.  The only settings I changed where the Resize and Rescale multipliers to 2.5.  SigmaDimensions correctly rescaled the SOIs of Hale and Ovok.  So that tells me SigmaDimensions is doing what it is suppose to do.  The bug is most likely due to some unusual mod interaction.

Edited by OhioBob

13 hours ago, Leganeski said:

The patch in my last comment runs at :FINAL, after Sigma Dimensions has finished entirely, and manually sets sphereOfInfluence to 102500. That didn't work either, so the only possibility left that I can think of is that some other mod, also running at :FINAL, is deleting the parameter for some reason. But that's a really weird thing to do, and I don't know of any mods that would do that.

That was my thought, too. Barring a bug in Sigma Dimensions or something in Kopernicus we're not aware of, I think that's the most likely candidate to check.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:28 AM, saltq said:

Does this planet pack have any easter eggs?

Yesss. Some unique terrain formations and their science descriptions make the detailed exploration of celestial bodies really exciting. It's like seeing something unusual from space and landing there to do science to determine whether it's a terrain glitch or an easter egg (or both). There are some KerbNet anomalies too, unfortunately they are mostly monoliths, but I didn't see them all so there might be something more  exciting than another black rectangular stone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I never got to truly thank Poods for making this mod. This mod is amazing and I CANNOT play KSP without it. It feels empty when I do not have this mod installed so thank you @Poodmund.

I do have a question though, will there be Parallax 2.0 scatter configs for OPM released? That would be really cool to have and I'm wondering if anyone is doing configs for them. Thanks!