[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

1 hour ago, juvilado said:

I think i quick installed that mod from CKAN, sure didn't pay attention to that huge detail!

@juvilado, OPM/JX2 is set up to be an either/or situation.  Use either OPM + Custom Barn Kit to get the level 4 DSN, or use OPM + JX2 Antenna to get a big powerful antenna.  Either method allows the ability to reach the outer edges of the solar system.  But you don't get both.  Select which one you prefer and use it.

one more question (for your amusement :-D ) antennae related:

For succesfully science transision and probe control, what's the minimun signal strenght required? 

I don't want to send a 300K Rocket to Neidon, wait 23 years and find that i cannot transmit science nor control

Thanks for your patience

5 minutes ago, juvilado said:

one more question (for your amusement :-D ) antennae related:

For succesfully science transision and probe control, what's the minimun signal strenght required? 

I don't want to send a 300K Rocket to Neidon, wait 23 years and find that i cannot transmit science nor control

Thanks for your patience

I don't think the strength of the signal really matters, just as long as a connection is maintained.  The following article gives the related formula:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CommNet

You can also use these charts, which tells you what type and how many antenna are needed to reach each planet.  There are separate charts for OPM + Level 4 DSN, and OPM + JX2.

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I don't think the strength of the signal really matters, just as long as a connection is maintained.  The following article gives the related formula:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CommNet

You can also use these charts, which tells you what type and how many antenna are needed to reach each planet.  There are separate charts for OPM + Level 4 DSN, and OPM + JX2.

Yes! I already have the diagram at the desktop! But didn't know if there was a minimun Strenght. Thanks

I thought I read at one time that signal strength was going to have some effect on science transmission.  Like a smaller percentage of the science being transmitted with a weaker signal, or something like that.  But maybe I just imagined it, or it never got implemented.  As it is now, 1% signal is just as good as 100%.

If they wanted to do it realistically, the bit rate should decrease with a weaker signal, requiring more time and more electricity to transmit a unit of data.

Edited by OhioBob

2 hours ago, juvilado said:

"From Priax to Polta"

Correct me if im wrong, but less than 500 dV is needed to change from one body's orbit to the other? Or 900 dV as total stated in the dV map? 

Less than 500 m/s sounds about right to me, though it depends on how you do it.

16 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

What's the most efficient transfer?

Edit: for getting between Polta and Priax

i supose it would be burning prograde at the opposite side of the other moon?

Edited by juvilado

1 hour ago, darwinpatrick said:

What's the most efficient transfer?

Edit: for getting between Polta and Priax

Burn prograde from polta and escape such that your periapsis is on the orbit of Priax and Polta and such that your total orbital period is 7/6 times the orbital period.of Priax and Polta around Urlum. There are of course more effecient transfers But this one gets you there in a single orbit.

Edited by mabdi36

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, VladTs said:

new planets are still stable! It's very GOOD!

how many years ahead did you look? Takes a good deal of time to reach these outer worlds. Over the short term everything can appear stable...

On 5/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, Drew Kerman said:

how many years ahead did you look? Takes a good deal of time to reach these outer worlds. Over the short term everything can appear stable...

Oops, i was wrong:(:( Problem appears with Ovok(

Error extending trajectory for Ovok. Error trying to fit a smooth polynomial to the trajectory. The approximation error jumped from +1.00000000000000002e-03 m to +1.45335931141437231e+04 m at time +5.18784000000000000e+07 s. The last position is [+7.20564323552126007e+10 m, +1.07765879196220993e+11 m, -3.61460191689271641e+09 m] and the last velocity is [-5.10321561312955964e+03 m s^-1, +2.14937937816488648e+03 m s^-1, +1.66978393321882322e+02 m s^-1]. An apocalypse occurred and two celestials probably collided because your solar system is unstable.

"Planet Patches for Principa" didn't work for my setup (KSP 1.8.1 with Principia Fuchs and  OPM 2.2.6). The Jool system was unstable (with an apocalypse at Laythe a couple of days in), and the Sarnus system was unstable as well (apocalypse at Ovok some 30-40 years in).

What did work for me was this hack based on the OPM patch from "Planet Patches for Principa" and this Jool system stability patch by @eggrobin:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Principia]:NEEDS[OPM]
{
  @Body[Ovok]
  {
    @Orbit
    {
      @inclination = 181.5
      @semiMajorAxis = 121694130
    }
  }

@Body[Vall] {
    @Orbit {
      semiMajorAxis = 49700595.866835564
    }
  }
  @Body[Tylo] {
    @Orbit {
      semiMajorAxis = 90867761.53320013
    }
  }
  @Body[Bop] {
    @Orbit {
      inclination = 165
      semiMajorAxis = 141820511.8491002
    }
  }	
}

This puts Ovok in nearly the same high retrograde orbit as the OPM patch from "Planet Patches for Principa" (the only change I made was the eccentricity - instead of 0.3 as in the OPM patch, I leave it at its default 0.01), and applies the same patch to the Jool system as Principia does automatically for the unmodified stock planets.

I did test this to up until ca. 1300 years in by starting a new save, going straight to the tracking station, setting time warp to maximum and watching the planets dance for a while.

Hope someone else can use this as well.

Edited by RKunze
Typo

@RKunze, you might want to also do this...

@Body[Ovok]
  {
    @Orbit
    {
      @inclination = 178.5
      @semiMajorAxis = 121694130
      @longitudeOfAscendingNode = 235
      @argumentOfPeriapsis = 180
      @meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 4.861592654
    }
  }

Just modifying the inclination will flip the orientation of the orbit in space.  Making the changes I show above should keep the orbit oriented exactly the same, but just reverses Ovok's direction to retrograde.

Also note the inclination should be 178.5, not 181.5.

Same thing for Bop...

@Body[Bop]
  {
    @Orbit
    {
      @inclination = 165
      @semiMajorAxis = 141820511.8491002
      @longitudeOfAscendingNode = 190
      @argumentOfPeriapsis = 155
      @meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 4.041592654
    }
  }

Edited by OhioBob

@OhioBob: Ovoks orbit already gets changed out of all recognition by shifting it from just outside Sarnus' rings to out beyond Tekto :D In original OPM, Ovoks semimajor axis is just 12169413 (notice the missing zero at the end).

What I did was keeping its Orbit as close as possible to the one from "Planet Patches for Principa" (or, to be honest, just fiddling around with the values until I happened on an orbit for Ovok which should stay stable for long enough to be playable - I didn't bother to actually calculate the orbit).

PS: If you shift Ovok out to a semimajor axis of 121694130, but keep it going prograde at the original inclination of 1.5, there will be no apocalypse, but resonances with Tekto will eject Ovok from the Sarnus system some years into the game...

On 4/6/2020 at 8:37 PM, A lazy noob said:

For KSP1.8.1 the Kspedia Entries need to be recompiled. @Poodmund

I know its on the bug list. And probably will be updated with version 3.0 but meanwhile can somebody confirm the numbers for Delta Vs more or less correct given here 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/87463-173-community-delta-v-map-27/

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping for some help. I am running OPM + Galileo's Planet Pack secondary. Everything was great with OPM until I installed GPP secondary and now the wrong lightsource is being used to light the outter planets and they are SUPER DIM. Looks like they are getting the light from the distant second star vs the closer one.

QFgIsMn.png

2viDh8e.png

AvGhHdg.png

7 hours ago, lane1572 said:

Hoping for some help. I am running OPM + Galileo's Planet Pack secondary. Everything was great with OPM until I installed GPP secondary and now the wrong lightsource is being used to light the outter planets and they are SUPER DIM. Looks like they are getting the light from the distant second star vs the closer one.

Most likely cause is that the Scatterer planets list config file is specifying the wrong star. This is GPP's issue, or more specifically, GPP_Secondary's issue so I would suggest you raise the issue with the developers of said planet pack to see if they can resolve it for you.