[1.3.1 - 1.12.x] Outer Planets Mod [v2.2.10] [3rd Jan 2022]

Poodmund

Couple of questions:

* Is it feasible to make surface animations for the gas giants (just like Jool) and use surface shader? Or Squad used something that cannot be reproduced? No pushing or rushing, just curious if it could be done one day.

* One can change parameters of the bodies by making changes to the Body_name.cfg file. Unfortunately, only OPM bodies (and Eeloo) can be affected this way and in addition the amount of parameters there makes me panic.

To learn how to get round this limitation and change, for example, Jool's radius and orbit, I've created a jool.cfg by making intuitive surgery to the Eeloo's copy.

So the question itself, what is the minimum structure of the such file to be sure that it will make desired changed and won't break the game?

This is what I ended up with. Game works, Jool swallowed some of the moons and got knocked out to the outer edge of the system. But I am still not sure if I need debug, cache, removePQS, and many others basically because don't know what they do. I am aware about Sigma, but you have to do the same thing and moreover it doesn't work right now, throwing four thousand errors.

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:FOR[OPM]
{
	%Body[Jool]
	{
		Debug
		{
			exportMesh = true
			update = true
		}
		cacheFile = OPM/Cache/Jool.bin
		%Template
		{
		%name = Jool
		removePQSMods = VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight, LandControl
		}
		%Properties
		{
		description = #LOC_OPM_Planets_Jool_description
		radius = 70000000        

}
		%Orbit
		{
		%referenceBody = Sun
		semiMajorAxis = 780000000000
		inclination = 2.3
		eccentricity = 0.0034
		longitudeOfAscendingNode = 55
		}
	}
}

Edited by Me.hasOwnProperty isHappy

1 minute ago, Me.hasOwnProperty isHappy said:

* Is it feasible to make surface animations for the gas giants (just like Jool) and use surface shader? Or Squad used something that cannot be reproduced? No pushing or rushing, just curious if it could be done one day.

Reveal hidden contents

@Kopernicus:FOR[OPM]
{
	%Body[Jool]
	{
		Debug
		{
			exportMesh = true
			update = true
		}
		cacheFile = OPM/Cache/Jool.bin
		%Template
		{
		%name = Jool
		removePQSMods = VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight, LandControl
		}
		%Properties
		{
		description = #LOC_OPM_Planets_Jool_description
		radius = 70000000        

}
		%Orbit
		{
		%referenceBody = Sun
		semiMajorAxis = 780000000000
		inclination = 2.3
		eccentricity = 0.0034
		longitudeOfAscendingNode = 55
		}
	}
}

OMG YES!!!

What a good idea!

On 11/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, Poodmund said:

Sure. I can leverage Gamelinx's implementation for the stock planets and use those textures to apply to the OPM bodies where appropriate so that performance/RAM usage shouldn't take too much of a hit.

I'm not much of a coder, much less a modder (this is my first journey into developing a KSP mod) but I've been playing around with Parallax configs and the included displacement maps and have come up with this:
Images of Slate using Laythe's textures

It's a pretty simple system, the core Parallax mod does most of the work. Let me know if you want me to stop, I was just experimenting to see what works.

In terms of GPU/RAM usage, didn't see any difference from the rest of the planets in Parallax.

4 minutes ago, Fundati said:

I'm not much of a coder, much less a modder (this is my first journey into developing a KSP mod) but I've been playing around with Parallax configs and the included displacement maps and have come up with this:
Images of Slate using Laythe's textures

It's a pretty simple system, the core Parallax mod does most of the work. Let me know if you want me to stop, I was just experimenting to see what works.

In terms of GPU/RAM usage, didn't see any difference from the rest of the planets in Parallax.

Looking good! Experiment away!

1 hour ago, Drupegod02 said:

Is there a way i can remove the planets past sarnus? I tried adding this to beyond home and the light doesnt go past sarnus.

You can add a patch to delete them.  This ought to do it...

@Kopernicus:AFTER[OPM]
{
	!Body[Urlum] {}
	!Body[Polta] {}
	!Body[Priax] {}
	!Body[Wal] {}
	!Body[Tal] {}
	!Body[Neidon] {}
	!Body[Thatmo] {}
	!Body[Nissee] {}
	!Body[Plock] {}
	!Body[Karen] {}
}

It's also possible to change the light so that it reaches farther.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Souptime said:

I think it would be cool if urlum was on its side like uranus

The problem with this is that the moons would also have to be inclined to match Urlum's axial tilt somewhat... but they would rotate relative to the Sun's ecliptic plane, it would be VERY odd.

8 minutes ago, Souptime said:

... and maybe sarnus has hexagonal aurora if you have EVE/poods visual overhaul

OPM-VO is very old now but it has a hexagonal storm at Sarnus' North Pole already.

49 minutes ago, TomfooleryYT said:

Does this mod give Tylo an atmosphere?

Tylo in my install has an atmosphere for some reason. I think this is the only mod I have that edits the planets/moons available in KSP. Therefore, I'm asking here first. Thnaks!

For what I know, the only mod that add atmosphere to Tylo is "realistic atmospheres".

24 minutes ago, Carni35 said:

For what I know, the only mod that add atmosphere to Tylo is "realistic atmospheres".

30 minutes ago, TomfooleryYT said:

that's what I thought. but why the hell does tylo have an atmosphere? is there any way to find out?

Also,  JNSQ gives Tylo an atmosphere.

3 hours ago, TomfooleryYT said:

ooh. any specific instructions on how to do that? is it jsut a check mark in the difficulty settings or is it a CFG file I need from somewhere?

If you installed Realistic Atmospheres via CKAN, I don't know how it works.  So I recommend downloading the .zip file if you haven't already done so.  Inside the download you'll find a folder named "Optional", inside of which you'll find a file named DeleteTyloAtmo.cfg.  Just copy that file into the GameData/RealisticAtmospheres folder of your KSP installation.