KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Robotics - KAL-1000 Controller

St4rdust

Can the editor support node snapping?

What I mean is, can the current time vertical bar snap to keyframes, and can keyframes snap to the time bar?

This would work for me in lieu of copy-paste (at least for now.

Maybe also a synced horizontal bar/marker that also allows snapping, for snapping the curve height.

Edited by Phoenix84

7 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

It uses the same "field" set up as the AxisGroups feature, so any field in a partModule that has been classified to say - let me be bindable to an axis can be added.

Wait a moment. Any axis can be controlled like that? But if I understand it correctly... thrust control, rotation and translation... those are all axis groups. So... we can use KAL1000 to automate rocket launches? If it can control thrust and we can order it to turn the rocket at right moments... It would be like stock kOS. If only it could also trigger decouplers...

1 hour ago, CdRKerbal said:

Can you add non-hinges to the KAL-1000 as well (like have it toggle lights?)

I believe they answered this and it was yes. 

Edit: @CdRKerbal It was answered on the previous page. Here's the quote:

8 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

It uses the same "field" set up as the AxisGroups feature, so any field in a partModule that has been classified to say - let me be bindable to an axis can be added. Thus modders can easily add this capability to their parts and they become KAL compatible. eg the light color is controllable in moduleLight. WIll be super to see what people think is good for being bindable too.

I'm sure there will be extra fields people think will be useful to do this with and will keep an eye out and our own ideas too

Each controller has a sequence, you can bind the same part/values to different controllers and then play them as you want, as opposed to multiple sequences in one controller

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, _stilgar_ said:

Wait a moment. Any axis can be controlled like that? But if I understand it correctly... thrust control, rotation and translation... those are all axis groups. So... we can use KAL1000 to automate rocket launches? If it can control thrust and we can order it to turn the rocket at right moments... It would be like stock kOS. If only it could also trigger decouplers...

You've got it backwards. Short answer is no, it doesn't do that, that's not how it works.

It goes like this:

The game has certain control axes built into it, such as the ones you've mentioned. These are player inputs.

They're adding, in the stock KSP update, the ability for the player to map those control inputs to other things. For example, you might map the translate up/down axis to a hinge, so that when you press I and J, it moves the hinge.

The KAL-1000 allows using automation to control the hinge, instead of I and J keys from the player (or whatever else they might have used).

Basically, they're defining certain parts as having specific field inputs (such as a hinge's target angle), and then giving you the ability to control those inputs either from the control binding of your choice, or from the KAL-1000.

That is not the same thing as the KAL-1000 actually driving those inputs, so no, it's not an autopilot. It just talks to specific inputs on specific parts; it doesn't feed into the flight control system like SAS.

Of course, you could always have it controlling some parts (like steering fins controlled by robotics), which might allow you to accomplish some of what you want. But it won't function like SAS by controlling the axes themselves.

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

You've got it backwards. Short answer is no, it doesn't do that, that's not how it works.

It goes like this:

The game has certain control axes built into it, such as the ones you've mentioned. These are player inputs.

They're adding, in the stock KSP update, the ability for the player to map those control inputs to other things. For example, you might map the translate up/down axis to a hinge, so that when you press I and J, it moves the hinge.

The KAL-1000 allows using automation to control the hinge, instead of I and J keys from the player (or whatever else they might have used).

Basically, they're defining certain parts as having specific field inputs (such as a hinge's target angle), and then giving you the ability to control those inputs either from the control binding of your choice, or from the KAL-1000.

That is not the same thing as the KAL-1000 actually driving those inputs, so no, it's not an autopilot.

Of course, you could always have it controlling some parts (like steering fins controlled by robotics), which might allow you to accomplish some of what you want. But it won't function like SAS by controlling the axes themselves.

Thanks for clarification it @Snark!!!!:)

3 hours ago, Snark said:

It goes like this:

That is not the same thing as the KAL-1000 actually driving those inputs, so no, it's not an autopilot. It just talks to specific inputs on specific parts; it doesn't feed into the flight control system like SAS.

Still will be interesting to find out how kal and axis groups interact?

one we have a walker set up can you bind the repeat interval to throttle control can have the legs of the beast on one side swing less to steer in that direction when key is pressed. 

That robotic sequencer device is really cool!

Could we get basic arithmatic unit logic and logic ladder functions added so that we can base one joint off of another, or base behavior off of sensors?  That would make it even better!

23 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

That robotic sequencer device is really cool!

Could we get basic arithmatic unit logic and logic ladder functions added so that we can base one joint off of another, or base behavior off of sensors?  That would make it even better!

Some of logic groups are available in the mission editor. Would be interesting if the mission editor can control KAL 1000. I'm sure it can't yet. It seems adding kOS control into the KAL 1000 would be an awsome mod, I bet the kOS makers are already planning something.

1 hour ago, mindstalker said:

Some of logic groups are available in the mission editor. Would be interesting if the mission editor can control KAL 1000. I'm sure it can't yet. It seems adding kOS control into the KAL 1000 would be an awsome mod, I bet the kOS makers are already planning something.

We just started talking about it in the KRPC Discord. Imagine robotics parts controlled directly through C-nano, C#, C++, Java, Lua, or Python...

9 hours ago, mindstalker said:

I just got the DLC today, so I'm still going to need a few days just to learn it from a *user* perspective before I consider what can be programattically done.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:30 AM, ChadderVox said:

In the description of the controller, it says "It's not an entirely autonomous entity... yet..." 

OMG OMG OMG.. Stock MechJeb!!!!  

:o

or just a description joke referencing the movie 2001.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:39 AM, Snark said:

Well, with the hinges you could make a non-gimballing engine gimbal. That would then be possible to animate, no?

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Well, with the hinges you could make a non-gimballing engine gimbal. That would then be possible to animate, no?

Having an engine gimbal in all directions would be difficult at best, because the DLC doesn’t have any ball-joint parts.

24 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Having an engine gimbal in all directions would be difficult at best, because the DLC doesn’t have any ball-joint parts.

That is not difficult at all, just use two hinges rotatet to 90 degrees to each other. One hinge will move up an down second hinge right and left and you have gimballed NERV Motor.

sorry I cant add image right now

4 minutes ago, Tapeta said:

That is not difficult at all, just use two hinges rotatet to 90 degrees to each other. One hinge will move up an down second hinge right and left and you have gimballed NERV Motor.

sorry I cant add image right now

Ah yeah, didn’t think of that.

But, then you might run into the problem of the engine pushing against the weak joints of the hinges and tempting the Kraken.

6 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

But, then you might run into the problem of the engine pushing against the weak joints of the hinges and tempting the Kraken.

Well, yes, we need to test how much it can handle. I think, that with one NERV Motor with ist 60kN trust in vacuum you should be fine, but if you put something more powerful there, like Mainsail with 1500kN of trust  ... :confused: 

14 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm sure that someone will mod those in shortly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.